LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 6 2013

MChahwanN

Summer part time job

Hello, I am a 16 year old boy in search of a summer job after I'm done with school.
Skills: I have great skills in Adobe photoshop, Adobe premiere and Adobe After Effects.
           I also have some skills in film directing.
Experience: none, it' s the first time I'm gonna work
Dream job: Successful film maker
Languages: English, French and Arabic.
I am looking forward to a job in this domaine because I want to work in something I like... I was thinking about filming my first movie this summer but of course no channel will buy it or anything...
Does anyone have an idea of what I might do?

#2 May 6 2013

CodingFreak

Re: Summer part time job

Hey, you could work as a web designer for freelance projects along with web developers of your age. Also if you're looking for people to hire you, it would be good to have an online portfolio to expose your work. Best of luck :)

#3 May 6 2013

rolf

Freelance work is exploitation... but I guess you could do that if you're 16...

#4 May 6 2013

Joe

If you put your mind into making your first movie this summer and end up uploading something on Youtube/Vimeo, it will be the smartest thing you can do career-wise if you want to be a filmmaker later. Even if it doesn't get you a single dollar.

Experience is extremely important, and at your age, it's easy to get. When you'll be my age it'll be a lot more difficult (but never impossible) to find the time to do what you want. Or put it this way: By the time you're 20, you really want to have several movies in your portfolio. Then you'll worry about making money.

#5 May 7 2013

venam

--

Last edited by venam (July 31 2013)

#6 May 7 2013

MChahwanN

CodingFreak: I already have a facebook page called Milad Chahwan where I post some of my work... but the question is where can I work as a web designer...?
Rahmu: I really thought of that but I am looking forward ti earn some money...
Venam: Can you please give me the link for the forum?

#7 May 7 2013

shant

i agree with rahmu, once you get attention online then all the big companies would be contacting you, instead of you contacting them.
good luck.

#8 May 8 2013

MChahwanN

shant wrote:

i agree with rahmu, once you get attention online then all the big companies would be contacting you, instead of you contacting them.
good luck.

Yeah but the problem is that I don't have any subscribers on youtube and I am not popular

#9 May 8 2013

Kassem

MChahwanN wrote:
shant wrote:

good luck.

Yeah but the problem is that I don't have any subscribers on youtube and I am not popular

That's perfectly normal. But if you manage to pull off a really good video, be sure it's going viral on youtube and then the subscribers will come. Subscribers will never come unless there's something good to subscribe for. Makes sense?

P.S: If you want a successful career, do not worry about the money now. Focus on developing your skills and making something people will mention your name for. Good luck.

#10 May 8 2013

Joe

MChahwanN wrote:

You're not going to have subscribers just by uploading one or two videos. You need content and lots of it. You need to have experience by working on several videos. You need a portfolio so you can talk to other people in the field. Get criticism. Get better.

If you feel the need to make money, then feel free to do so. With a little bit of work you might be able to get some freelance design contracts. But if you're serious about wanting to be a filmmaker, there should be other priorities.

Think of it this way: Who's your favorite filmmaker? Do you think he spent he's 16th summer making movies? Was he popular then?

#11 May 8 2013

shant

i managed to get 1,751,924 views on my first video and got around 220 subscribers, i don't even follow my video and never made an effort to get more views or subscribers, i don't even read the comments and the video is a pretty dumb one.
once you get a good video up the rest is easy.

#12 May 27 2013

MChahwanN

rahmu wrote:
MChahwanN wrote:

You're not going to have subscribers just by uploading one or two videos. You need content and lots of it. You need to have experience by working on several videos. You need a portfolio so you can talk to other people in the field. Get criticism. Get better.

If you feel the need to make money, then feel free to do so. With a little bit of work you might be able to get some freelance design contracts. But if you're serious about wanting to be a filmmaker, there should be other priorities.

Think of it this way: Who's your favorite filmmaker? Do you think he spent he's 16th summer making movies? Was he popular then?

But I uploaded some new videos and still nothing, I got like 20 views on each. My highest record is about 610 views...

#13 May 27 2013

eurybaric

Well, I'm a music producer, and my dream job is to become a successful artist. I'm 25 and still didn't try to make a buck out of my stuff. Most stuff I don't upload and when I do, it's usually a small amount of people that I try to reach. And that's because, even though I've been making music since I was 15, I'm constantly evolving and refining my skills. I don't care about launching and marketing myself because I know that when I decide that I'm good enough, that my material is sound (), making it known is secondary and quite trivial compared to making the music and refining your work.

I'd say work on your film making skills this summer.

#14 May 28 2013

Fischer

@MChahwanN the titles of your videos are not well chosen, for example:

"Vampires' speed test."

no one searches for the keyword "speed test", well at least no one search for that + the word vampires, we search for "internet speed test" not vampires' speed test, besides you don't put ' in titles and certainly not in a youtube video title, it's not an english grammar test.

all of your title could be more appealing and you should use some specific keywords in your description, google "keyword seo" and you'll understand how search engines work, people will be able to find your videos easily and you'll get more views.

you could also find popular videos like yours and create video response, and the third option is to send bulk messages to people who like  that kind of videos to promote yours, (this option could make you look spammy, if not done carefully).

Board footer