LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 13 2013

Joe

[Programming IRL] Talk proposals

For those who weren't here on Monday, we decided to hold a special LebGeeks meeting, focused solely on Programming. This time we want to encourage members to give talks/presentations about any topic they like, preferably something they're working on right now.

In order to organize this, (which should ideally happen during the next 10 days or so), we need to hear proposals for topics you want to talk/hear about. Let's use this thread to share propositions.

Anyone can suggest any topic you want even if you don't want to give the talk yourself.

A talk can range from a 1 minute lightning talk up to 10 minutes. Depending on the numbers of speakers you might even go further.
What are the topics you want us to discuss?

#2 February 13 2013

saeidw

Re: [Programming IRL] Talk proposals

Just repeating what I said at the meeting: Lua!
It would be very interesting to get an idea of how it feels to program/embed Lua.

Also, it would be great if someone with experience talked about team workflow stuff: version control, bug tickets, etc.

#3 February 13 2013

scatman

I can give a small talk on GPU Programming Using CUDA
and present results by comparing a backtracking (search tree-based) algorithm for Vertex Cover problem on GPUs vs CPU code

#4 February 14 2013

Joe

@scatman: that would be a great talk. I'm interested in GPU programming, especially since my Raspberry Pi has a crappy CPU and a powerful Video Card. I'd love to see what you could do with this.

As mentioned to saeidw earlier, I'd love to give the talk about Lua.

Here are some topics I am interested in:

• Mono: If anyone has worked with it, can you share your experience?

• Unconventional languages in Production. Have you ever used Lisp, Haskell, Erlang, Lua, D or Go in a production environment? Share your experience.

• Unconventional tools. Do you use a text editor that isn't VisualStudio/Eclipse/Vim? Do you know cool tricks for code editing, refactoring, code completion, version control integration, etc.? Tell us!

• Showcase! Are you working on a project, you want to present it to your fellow programmers? This is not about the sales pitch, it's about discussing the technology behind your work!

The above is my wish list. If it can inspire anyone to step forward and participate, it'd be great.

#5 February 14 2013

Polyv

Hey !

Very interesting initiative !

I could give a 'quick' talk (if there's interest for it) on

'Workflow and best practices for building large, expanding and scalable web applications'

I think this could be very useful for developers interested in building startups.

I could also showcase the current startup I'm working on, the codebase is quite complex and could make for a very interesting and beneficial discussion for all parties involved .

What do you think ?

Also,
    I'd be very interested to hear a talk about anything concerning Ruby on Rails (Methodology, code structure, workflow, data migration, testing... anything , you name it)

Cheers !

#6 February 17 2013

saeidw

Polyv wrote:

'Workflow and best practices for building large, expanding and scalable web applications'

That sounds awesome!

rahmu wrote:

Unconventional languages in Production. Have you ever used Lisp, Haskell, Erlang, Lua, D or Go in a production environment? Share your experience.

While I haven't used Haskell in production, I'd be willing to give a short talk about the interesting concepts I learned from the language. Especially how laziness lets you easily extend the language's syntax.

Do we have a tentative time for this IRL yet?

#7 February 18 2013

patrickas

Hey I could give a lighting talk about Perl 6, something like

Perl 6 gradual typing FTW!

I'll also tell the other software devs at the LambaLabs hackerspace to see if someone else is interested in giving a lightning talk.

#8 February 18 2013

Joe

Is Perl 6 out yet? What has it been, 15 years or so? </troll>

Honestly it'd be great to know where the development is standing right now, what's new in the language and when should we expect a stable release (if ever).

I'm particularly interested to know how backward compatible v6 is, and I'm curious about the library ecosystem. Is there a CPAN for the new language? Are there missing libs?

#9 February 18 2013

patrickas

The short answers are below...

> Is Perl 6 out yet?
Mu ;-)
I mean No & Yes.

> where the development is standing right now,
Monthly releases of various implementations and a back-port of some of the interesting features to Perl 5.

> what's new in the language
Too many things!

>when should we expect a stable release (if ever).
Well by Christmas! Naturally

> how backward compatible v6 is
It is not.

> Is there a CPAN for the new language? Are there missing libs?
There is but it is about three orders of magnitude smaller than CPAN :-)
It lives temporarily at http://modules.perl6.org/

( incidentally github says I wrote the initial version of the script that generates the modules listing and html template about 3 years ago :-)

The long answers are worthy of a full fledged talk or at least a side discussion :-)

Last edited by patrickas (February 18 2013)

#10 February 18 2013

cnicolaou

Hello there

Polyv wrote:

Personally, that's one of my favourite topics, would love to see someone talk about it.

Polyv wrote:

Also,
    I'd be very interested to hear a talk about anything concerning Ruby on Rails (Methodology, code structure, workflow, data migration, testing... anything , you name it)

On the other hand, I'm quite happy to talk about Ruby and Rails, consider this as a lightning talk proposal. (up to 5 minutes)

Costa

#11 February 19 2013

samer
Admin

Kassem's question has been split to a new topic: http://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=13746

#12 February 19 2013

marcfarra

Can I add a talk? How we built a telepresence robot in a day. (A talk about Pusher, Hardware/Software APIs and real-time device control over websockets)

Marc

#13 February 19 2013

samer
Admin

Can I add a talk? How we built a telepresence robot in a day. (A talk about Pusher, Hardware/Software APIs and real-time device control over websockets)

Great idea. Let's schedule it for the next volume of the Programming Talks.

#14 February 19 2013

marcfarra

Oh! I wasn't aware there was a deadline, it's not mentioned anywhere.

#15 February 20 2013

samer
Admin

marcfarra wrote:

Oh! I wasn't aware there was a deadline, it's not mentioned anywhere.

The "talk freeze" happened when we pushed out the newsletter. We want to keep a healthy buffer of potential talks so that we make sure we have enough for next time. We'll be more explicit about deadlines during the next iteration. Great to see you're coming marc, it would be cool if you could spread the word.

#16 February 23 2013

jadjoubran

Some of the topics/technologies I've heard about yesterday in the talk:
- Nagios
- Flight.js
- spine.js
- wc -l (was too lazy to search for it until I've heard someone talking about it)
and a reminder for me to read again about
- closures in javascript
- metaprogramming

In conclusion, the talk was very helpful, thanks!
Looking forward for the next one.

#17 February 24 2013

Conqueror

Was awesome to see you all in RL, Will be glad to be an active member now.

#18 May 6 2013

jadjoubran

I am interested in giving a talk about SEO strategies.

#19 May 6 2013

Shalashtein

Hi, I'm An Amateur, But I'd Like to Talk a bit About Application of Arduinos with Raspis or Just Hear bout Them

Last edited by Shalashtein (May 7 2013)

#20 May 7 2013

rtp

When is the next talk?

I might be interested in giving an introduction to Sql Injection and XSS.

#21 May 7 2013

Conqueror

Hello guys,

Would like to talk about the following system architecture, that I'm using for one of my startups:

1- On the RaspberryPi: NodeJs + Socket.io
2- On the Linode Machine (Ubuntu 12.04): NodeJs + Socket.io + MongoDB
3- Scaling Socket.io

Looking forward to this!

May the force be with you,

#22 May 7 2013

tUrG0n

Hey guys,

I'd like to give a talk on design, in particular design for web developpers.
(Aka, bootstrap ain't the only thing out there )

Cheers bras!

#23 May 8 2013

个招呼

Hello everyone,
I want to talk about regular expressions.

#24 May 14 2013

Ra8

I'm interested in giving a talk about Dynamic Programming.

#25 July 6 2013

mhd196

I would like to suggest a topic about health of programmers; they have a sedentary life style and common health issues when they become veterans.

Board footer