LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 24 2012

chocolaterain
Banned

Coaxial cable

Does a Coaxial cable transmit an HD signal?
400px-RG-59.jpg

#2 June 24 2012

solo220

Re: Coaxial cable

What's your HD signal specification or characteristics?
maybe you could give us more details about your setup.
If your refering to sattelite hd signal than yes but you should not use it for long runs and there is some not really RG59 cables out there so you have to pick original ones maybe 3M

Last edited by solo220 (June 24 2012)

#3 June 24 2012

chocolaterain
Banned

thanks solo220 I was referring to sattelite hd signal

#4 June 24 2012

babum

Funny thing in the US hotels offer HD channel through a coaxial cable. for a couple of years I have been told that HDMI was the only way to get high quality, gotta have a serious talk with my cable provider ;)

#5 June 24 2012

solo220

@babum In  satellite HD you get a resolution of  1920x1080 but using HDMI you can achieve 2560x1600 and higher.

#6 June 24 2012

AvoK95

I want to ask, do high quality coaxial cables effect the quality of the picture ?

#7 June 24 2012

ballad

AvoK95 wrote:

I want to ask, do high quality coaxial cables effect the quality of the picture ?

basically no
that's the myth of the gold plated cables and those stuff
the data is transferred as 0 1 1 0 data and you can't optimize the quality of the basic electronic language

#8 June 24 2012

solo220

In a coaxial cable you have what we call attenuation measured with dB/m the higher this number the lower the signal  to noise ratio until some cable length where this signal-noise ratio is too low the DVB decoder can't handle and you don't have signal(picture).
so you could have a cable working for 20 m length but for another case with 40 m it doesn't than you should look for a coaxial with lower dB/m.

#9 June 24 2012

AvoK95

What's the maximum length of cable I can use until the signal gets week ?

#10 June 24 2012

babum

solo220 wrote:

@babum In  satellite HD you get a resolution of  1920x1080 but using HDMI you can achieve 2560x1600 and higher.

I see, thanks. So there won't be any benefit (in terms of quality) from using HDMI until we cross the 1080p unless distance is an important factor.

#11 June 24 2012

solo220

@AvoK95 You can't simply know the maximum length of cable you need to  either check the manufacturer datasheet or if you have the appropriate equipment you can measure it.
then check the output dB of the LNB  usually shown with the mode/brand plate 
compute
(LNB output)   -  ( (the cable length) X (cable dB/m)  )
should be less than 9 dB  Nominal (depends on receiver)
Orrr  you could try to increase/decrease the length until you have /lose picture.

so the maximum length is based on the cable specification and quality .

medium quality RG59 can reach up to 35 m while RG6 could be used for longer lengths.

#12 June 29 2012

NuclearVision

@avok95 I think you can have high length since the HDMI cable has fibers integrated.
EDIT: Some HDMI cable like the one I linked to in my next post can offer 1000 ft. distance = 304 meters approx.

Last edited by NuclearVision (July 1 2012)

#13 June 29 2012

solo220

@NuclearVision what do you mean by

fibers integrated

explain please.

Last edited by solo220 (June 29 2012)

#14 July 1 2012

chocolaterain
Banned

do happen to know where can i get this Monster Cable HDMI 1000HD Ultra-High Speed MC 1000HD-2M - Video / audio cable - Male 19 pin HDMI Type A to M 19 pin HDMI Type A
ooUGVpsRsxiQQRsb5QVW9fnM0UmHSJBMNAfOHboJ7_iK5sxR06l3-3LtHAwClocBmuNFY61cOCVXmDzfxtmty_x0E-zxbfbJ0ZobgF8ZPKLkWQK3bKZdEbr6YUH2GNk
in Lebanon

Last edited by chocolaterain (July 1 2012)

#15 July 1 2012

ballad

chocolaterain wrote:

do happen to know where can i get this Monster Cable HDMI 1000HD Ultra-High Speed MC 1000HD-2M - Video / audio cable - Male 19 pin HDMI Type A to M 19 pin HDMI Type A
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public … br6YUH2GNk
in Lebanon

radioshack & khoury home have monster cables but most hdmi cables are the same man
it's a digital connection

#16 July 1 2012

NuclearVision

@solo There's HDMI cables that have fibers integrated, like this one.
This kind of HDMI cables

offer a long distance solution with no signal degradation up to an amazing 1000ft.

#17 July 1 2012

solo220

@Nuclearvision this is an extender device so it's not an hdmi cable this is a fiber optic cable it  converts hdmi to another form to send it over fiber optic cables which can be done with any other media transfer cables like vga,dvi,....
literally you can not call it an hdmi cable .

The housing is constructed of high durability composite material for necessary protection of the internal HDMI to fiber transfer

Last edited by solo220 (July 2 2012)

#18 July 2 2012

NuclearVision

@solo that's the point, data are transferred via fiber inside the cable, but the cable is limited by 2 hdmi males like a normal one, check again the page i linked to. There's no form called fiber transfer by the way.

The housing is constructed of high durability composite material for necessary protection of the internal HDMI to fiber transfer.

#19 July 2 2012

solo220

I think they mean by "transfer" ="conversion "  and the size of the hdmi plug compared to normal ones made me sure that the conversion electronics from hdmi signals to light  signal is inside the plug housing and it need a free usb port to get its supply from.
i am sorry what i wanted to say that long distance (>15m) wired data transfer is not a property of hdmi cables or protocol ,if one wanted to transfer video data away for long distance there is like zillion :-) device to do so without consideration for the form of video output of your device hdmi,vga,dvi,.... you can have a wireless link to transfer hdmi for 100Km, do you call that device an hdmi cable? this what i am just pointing , again sorry this is my problem with words i like it to be precise :-) because maybe you didn't meant to say it that way but that's why they call us  geeks :-) or what ever.

Last edited by solo220 (July 2 2012)

Board footer