LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 14 2012

WizaRd

Dota 2 - Game Thread

If you didn't know, you could buy Dota 2 Invite to get an early access for the game to be released later this year.

I've bought my access today and will download it when I get home. It's around 8GB so would probably take me ~4hours to finish, not bad.

So there you go...

/thread

#2 June 14 2012

Jinx

Re: Dota 2 - Game Thread

Since this is the game thread i have some questions for you guys...

-The Find Game is based on your skill level or random ?

-When I'm in captain mode, how can I chose to be the captain ?

-Is there swap in the game ?

And WizaRd i think the game is around 5 GB, there's the Dota 2 and the Dota 2 test (I only have the dota 2 and its working very well)

#3 June 14 2012

az09za90za

WizaRd wrote:

It's around 8GB so would probably take me ~4hours to finish, not bad.

the downloaded files are 1.8 gb ....its 4 gb when its extracted...

Jinx wrote:

-The Find Game is based on your skill level or random ?

-When I'm in captain mode, how can I chose to be the captain ?

-Is there swap in the game ?

-its based on on your skill level.
-you don't chose to be a captain its randomly.
-no there is no swap.

#4 June 14 2012

WizaRd

I did see Dota 2 and Dota 2 Test.

It's fine if I just download the first one without the other, then?

Edit: A little research showed that Dota 2 test is the test build game where the updates and new implementation/fixes get applied first and it might not always be stable, so I'll just stick to downloading Dota 2 :)

Last edited by WizaRd (June 14 2012)

#5 June 14 2012

zheavy
Banned

I just received the email today from steam about the invite, but i'm wondering what are we actually getting if we purchase that "invite", is it beta access? cause that sounds ridiculous, since they announced that the game will be a free to play on the full launch.

#6 June 14 2012

Jinx

az09za90za thanks 

WizaRd let us know when you're done downloading so we can arrange a game...

#7 June 14 2012

WizaRd

Sure, I'll definitely play it alone the first few games but maybe in the weekend I'll have some free time and will let you know.

#8 June 14 2012

WizaRd

First game played, I must say I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics.

The whole thing feels awkward compared to normal dota.

#9 June 14 2012

rtp

WizaRd wrote:

First game played, I must say I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics.

The whole thing feels awkward compared to normal dota.

you will get used to it and then you will love it...
the sounds are epic!

#10 June 14 2012

WizaRd

2nd game much better!

Ended up 2v4 and still won... nice!

#11 June 15 2012

geekevo

zheavy wrote:

I just received the email today from steam about the invite, but i'm wondering what are we actually getting if we purchase that "invite", is it beta access? cause that sounds ridiculous, since they announced that the game will be a free to play on the full launch.

The price is ridiculous for beta access the price should between 8 to 12$. I won't pay that much for beta access.

#12 June 15 2012

MrClass

Guys, they're saying the game will be free to play. Though will all the characters be available? Also did I just see that each character has several avatars and you can purchase the extra avatars? Darn!

#13 June 15 2012

geekevo

MrClass wrote:

Guys, they're saying the game will be free to play. Though will all the characters be available? Also did I just see that each character has several avatars and you can purchase the extra avatars? Darn!

All characters are free only avatars and customs will be payed for.

#14 June 15 2012

zheavy
Banned

geekevo wrote:
zheavy wrote:

The price is ridiculous for beta access the price should between 8 to 12$. I won't pay that much for beta access.

i totally agree, the fact isn't just the beta access but the tournaments already being made on the game are holding prices up to 1M $ which is ridiculous to hold a tournament in first place for a beta game, they're just trying to milk as much money as they can from the game right now from all the "invite" in beta access and the tickets to live dota 2 events. They're really working hard on advertising the game but i'm sure as hell won't pay a cent on that game, it has done too much to disappoint me so far.

MrClass wrote:

darn? it's a free 2 play lol, the money making comes from luxury stuff such as extra "avatars", still don't know what they call them there in dota 2, it's the same in many games such as league of legends except that champions there aren't all available, so big advantage here, can't wait for full release.

#15 June 15 2012

az09za90za

MrClass wrote:

Sure, all the characters will be avaible.
its more like an extensions ...change the hero sword..hair..clothes
but it definitely wont affect the gameplay...and you can even make you're own :)

#16 June 16 2012

WizaRd

What are those treasure chests people win after each game?

Also how can you win them? I noticed it's not related if you are the first in your team or anything like that...

#17 June 23 2012

Al0ushka

you buy keys to open these chests and they give you items that allow you to customize your hero (of course without messing with the game balance) for exampe axe gets bigger axe, courrier is different, furion gets hat etc...

#18 June 26 2012

RyanAn

Best game ever, been playing dota 1 since it was out and now changed to dota 2 like 5 months ago, first 5-6 games felt awkward and dissapointing but then when I got used to it, it became so good. Tried playing Dota 1 again for a round or two and hated it so much ( the last hitting mechanics, the graphics, the sound ... shit compared to dota 2 ). Its time to move on gents

Althought I am having some problems with my ups not being able to handle my pc on dota 2, will try to find a solution for it soon because I keep on dcing in games by having restarts, although I can reconnect afterwards but 5 mins of dc will break u if the enemy players didnt unpause

#19 June 26 2012

WizaRd

Al0ushka wrote:

you buy keys to open these chests

Yes but how exactly do you get these chests? is it random after each game or based on some criteria??

#20 June 30 2012

Al0ushka

WizaRd wrote:
Al0ushka wrote:

you buy keys to open these chests

Yes but how exactly do you get these chests? is it random after each game or based on some criteria??

totally random.. it could be someone on the winner or loser side, best or last of his team...

#21 July 2 2012

zheavy
Banned

I've just received an invite from steam by email couple of days ago, gave the game a try and honestly it was a disappointment for first glance. The graphics are disappointing, although the ability to adjust render quality in settings is quite unique are great. The shop interface ingame is very similar to the one in HoN, and the floor padding is similar to LoL. I don't play Dota, i only used to play it in past and sucked at it but i admit the game is great, but for such a great title of dota2 and all the fuss going on about it, it's not really that great, if this game was released 3-4 years ago i would have said it's great but it doesn't seem like a Q4 2012 or 2103 game at all, i'll keep playing it but rarely maybe i'll change my mind about it in time.

#22 July 2 2012

mk555

zheavy wrote:

I've just received an invite from steam by email couple of days ago, gave the game a try and honestly it was a disappointment for first glance. The graphics are disappointing, although the ability to adjust render quality in settings is quite unique are great. The shop interface ingame is very similar to the one in HoN, and the floor padding is similar to LoL. I don't play Dota, i only used to play it in past and sucked at it but i admit the game is great, but for such a great title of dota2 and all the fuss going on about it, it's not really that great, if this game was released 3-4 years ago i would have said it's great but it doesn't seem like a Q4 2012 or 2103 game at all, i'll keep playing it but rarely maybe i'll change my mind about it in time.

Give it some time you'll get used to it, I used to play dota 1 myself and when I tried dota 2 I had the same reaction but after a  while I started to love it.

#23 July 2 2012

MrClass

I got my access to the game last Friday. Downloaded it, installed it, and fired it up. Graphics are much better than Dota 1 and actually more than enough. The extra animations and effects are somehow distracting. I am still getting used to it. I noticed that some heros are now underpowered (Axe, Mortred) and some heros are overpowered (Riki). Hero balance in Dota 1 much different than Dota 2. I hated the way you shop items and still hate it. I love the reconnect option; a bit hard to catch up with the game progress, but you can rejoin even after restarting your computer. I really hate the way the animation works when a hero loses health; Dota 1 instantly shaves off the lost health from the health bar but Dota 2 animates it; a bit annoying when trying to last hit. Will keep playing as long as the pings are good.

#24 July 2 2012

zheavy
Banned

MrClass wrote:

I got my access to the game last Friday. Downloaded it, installed it, and fired it up. Graphics are much better than Dota 1 and actually more than enough. The extra animations and effects are somehow distracting. I am still getting used to it. I noticed that some heros are now underpowered (Axe, Mortred) and some heros are overpowered (Riki). Hero balance in Dota 1 much different than Dota 2. I hated the way you shop items and still hate it. I love the reconnect option; a bit hard to catch up with the game progress, but you can rejoin even after restarting your computer. I really hate the way the animation works when a hero loses health; Dota 1 instantly shaves off the lost health from the health bar but Dota 2 animates it; a bit annoying when trying to last hit. Will keep playing as long as the pings are good.

i have to disagreed with some points there, extra animations more then enough? you haven't seen how dense HoN is then, the animations are great here, i'm just personally disappointed by the graphics of the game which's going to be a 2013 release instead of a 2008. The shop in dota did suck and the improvements are not better in dota 2, they adopted almost the same interface from HoN which sucks as well, it is easier to use but needs way more tweaking and some stuff have to be remade in it. About the health drops, this is something that needs to be there and it doesn't affect creeps so won't affect your last hitting as well. Overall, the things you said are disappointing are stuff that they were trying hard to implement in dota 1 in the first place but couldn't cause the 8mb restriction on the file size and the game mechanics of war3 being built differently then to a serve such tiny important/non-important details that they could not implement them there in first place, which are the basics of an ARPG game and a must. As for the balancing issue, ARPG games are always in beta mode and are always open to balancing especially that now the game is still in it's closed beta phase, some bugs and balancing issues are very normal to encounter.

#25 July 2 2012

jojoleb

Hi guys i got an invite yesterday.

i got an email from steam that i'm invited and now basically its been added to my steam account.
now of course i will do the download at night since its free quota

i started it yesterday but it was really slow for some reason (i'm on 8 Mb connection )

so hopefully it will finish tonight.
is it worth it and is there anything i need to know ? i played old dota on wc3 for a few months and i play RTS like sc2 .

thx !!

Board footer