LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 30 2005

joseza82

C

Why companies are still using c & c++
why don't they use vsual basic?!

#2 August 30 2005

rolf

Re: C

I think visual basic only works for windows programs.
Plus some people do not like the visual basic language.
C has been around for ages and it is a standard.
And microsoft windows is moslty written in C/C++, so if even microsoft prefer C/C++...

#3 August 30 2005

mahdoum

isn't c/c++ the most used language as it gives u the mose felxibilty programming wise?

#4 August 30 2005

naregkar

Yeah, just as rolf mentioned above, VB6 (or VB.old) works only on Windows Platform). The new VB.NET works on Windows platform where the OS must have .NET Framework installed. (If you have XP SP2, then it will be installed or else you can download it from Microsoft's site for free).

Now, Microsoft has decided not to sell new Vb.old CDs after 2006 (I'm not sure about the date). C# (C-sharp) and C++ are also considered old languages. The new generation is based on .NET Framework.

A comparison between VB.NET and C++.NET.

VB.NET is relatively an easy programming language. Its syntax is close to human language. But this does not mean that you cannot create applications for business enterprises. Also, by knowing VB.NET it would much easier to learn ASP.NET.

As for C++.NET, it is a powerful OOP language (Object-Oriented Programming). It is used to create very sophisticated applications.

Hope my explanation gives you an idea.

#5 August 31 2005

joseza82

Well i just asked cauz i did this huge work for a certain company using visual basic, and now i'm learning c++ and java ,and just noticed that all work done with these two programming languages can be done easily with visual basic.

Anyway thanks for the information guys.

#6 September 12 2005

fnzahar

i just like to say why C/ and C++ are better languages....

you see, computer languages, was devided into 3 levels....

1) the old way binary coding 0001111 we name it low level programming.

2) the medium way programming using assembly language

3) the high way of programming using a compiled language as c/c++

why c and c++, cause they are verry powerfull standard languages,
in these languages, most system where build as windows, unix, and databases applications like Mysql and new languages as PHP and even the compilers of VB  all where build from scratch in using C and C++ compilers....

i just have a remarq about .net frame work and the future languages in C# and J# why they will be better than VB.NET

the fact that is not true, this is a reply to naregkar,

well naregkar, .netframe work is a midelwhare language for Windows...
the idea from .netframework is to use any language you know, like C# J# vb.net and even new cobol are involved in .netframework....

the compiler will change the code into an MISL (Microsof Intermediate System Language) the framework will understand and do the commands that you are creating in your own code... this is why .netframework is a revolution for the development field, leting every person to work in the language he know in the same project and it will create a compiler to this language to make an MISL code to be run in the framework....

so about the C# is an object oriented language....
the same goes for VB.NET it is 100% object oriented concept not as vb6

cause it respect the object oriented concept principles
1- Encapsulation
2- inheretance
3- polymorphisme...

as you can create abstract classes that vb6 don't let you do that and extend them to subclasses...

i hope that  you get the idea of what i'm talking here

Board footer