LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#651 October 17 2015

vengeance666

Re: Internet Speed and Latency in Lebanon

MrClass wrote:

Hey guys,

I noticed that my Internet speed went down this month. I tried to check on the ADSL router if there is something wrong going on. Noticed this:
                             Downstream    Upstream
SNR Margin:         6.0            22.5    db
Line Attenuation:     46.0            22.0    db
Data Rate:         7368        1023    kbps
Max Rate:         7816        1056    kbps
CRC:             13635        1

Does it mean I have phone line issues?

I used to have a max rate of 11000-12000

The CRC value keeps going up as well.

Tried disconnecting every other device from the lhone line and leaving only your modem ? Do that and check again.

#652 October 17 2015

MrClass

Yeh I did that. Same shit. I'll try changing the cable between the wall plug and the router and see if that makes a difference. Though the SNR value is shit right? CRC is now 25000

#653 October 18 2015

vengeance666

MrClass wrote:

Yeh I did that. Same shit. I'll try changing the cable between the wall plug and the router and see if that makes a difference. Though the SNR value is shit right? CRC is now 25000

It's way too shit, with 6db I wonder how your internet still working. If plugging directly doesn't work out try using someone else's modem and see their stats. Or use yours at someone else house.

#654 October 18 2015

MrClass

Is there a chance it might be the router? I don't care about it I'll just get another. If it is a phone line issue, then I'm screwed. I'm going to call Terranet tomorrow. They'll confirm from their side the line status.

#655 October 18 2015

Doom

Check out my story in ogero thread,my snr used to be like yours but fixed after I changed a bad lamp.So check if you got a bad electrical appliancetl.try "tikka lal kaherba"and check if the snr goes up.

#656 October 18 2015

Hybrid

I thought everybody in the country is having request timed out after 7pm till midnight..

#657 October 26 2015

bogdan22

Is there a way to reduce Lag and play battlefield properly, I'm on sodetel and tried to improve through portforwarding from EA website but failed to do so. Any advice?

#658 October 26 2015

Anthony2000

bogdan22 wrote:

Is there a way to reduce Lag and play battlefield properly, I'm on sodetel and tried to improve through portforwarding from EA website but failed to do so. Any advice?

Sodetel? no hope for you, first step, change to ogero. go. stop giving Sodetel your money now. i hope they get bankrupt.

#659 October 27 2015

ironman

@boogdan22 as Anthony said, with Sodetel no hope (former Sodetel customer...)

#660 October 27 2015

Aly

Former sodetel user as well, no hope at all from this company, I only got headaches.
Switched to Wise long time ago, I play battlefield 3 with my brother everyday online (for hours sometimes) and not a single lag.
Ogero blink is also great for online gaming. (Better than Wise overall).

#661 January 10 2016

RamiB

guys does anyone tested this comapny : Connect.net.lb wireless boardband service

they have a 2Mb and 5Mb plans that i am willing to try , but i am afraid the ping will be bad for games

there is no feedback or review for them so far , currently i have ifly 1Mbs plan and the ping sucks :(

regards

Last edited by RamiB (January 10 2016)

#662 January 10 2016

Doom

RamiB wrote:

guys does anyone tested this comapny : Connect.net.lb wireless boardband service

they have a 2Mb and 5Mb plans that i am willing to try , but i am afraid the ping will be bad for games

there is no feedback or review for them so far , currently i have ifly 1Mbs plan and the ping sucks :(

regards

https://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16288
This is the thread for Connect feedback

Last edited by Doom (January 10 2016)

#663 January 10 2016

Elie335

Doom wrote:
RamiB wrote:

regards

https://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16288
This is the thread for Connect feedback

I have connect and i do not recommend it

#664 January 10 2016

RamiB

thank you guys , that's what i expected , just advertising.
gaming online => DSL

#665 February 18 2016

BetterGoogleIt

Hi, how can I check the real ping and real packet loss of my internet connection?
I play an online game and the ping is so high with TONS of packet loss every couple of minutes, I'm 99% sure that the results on cmd are cached by my provider. Sometimes when the internet is down, I still can ping to bbc.co.uk or 8.8.8.8 and it gives me a perfect stable 50 ms
0% packet loss.

#666 April 29 2016

BetterGoogleIt

Seems like more than half of the Lebanese are having problems since the illegal internet scandal. My ISP told me that he wanted to upgrade his bandwidth but most of the companies in Lebanon (Mobi, IDM, Terranet..) don't have enough "internet" since then. Even Ogero's internet has been bad the last few weeks.
Hopefully our government will make the right choice and fix things if not improve them.

#667 April 29 2016

Doom

https://www.facebook.com/BoutrosHarb/ ,check out first post,it says that Google cache has been turned off from ISPs for a week or so, which explains why there's internet problems nowadays

Last edited by Doom (April 29 2016)

#668 April 30 2016

samer
Admin

The post mentions that ISPs were getting the "Google cache service" and passing it on to customers.
This makes zero sense. "Google Cache" is not a service provided by Google to ISPs. The only thing I can think of is how Google caches a page when its crawler indexes it and makes it accessible when you press the "cached" hyperlink next to a search result. Not sure how this relates to slow internet speeds.

ستقبل وزير الإتصالات بطرس حرب في مكتبه في الوزارة بعد ظهر اليوم تجمّع شركات الأنترنت الذي يضم حوالى 30 شركة ISP، جرى خلاله التداول في موضوع خدمة الأنترنت وتوزيعها ولا سيما بعد اكتشاف الوزارة فضيحة الأنترنت غير الشرعي واستجرار السعات الدولية من الخارج بشكل غير مرخص. وطالب أصحاب الشركات الوزير حرب العمل على إعادة تفعيل خدمة الغوغل كاش Google Cache التي كانت الشركات تحصل عليها من دون أي بدل، لا سيما وأنها انقطعت منذ حوالى أسبوع، الأمر الذي انعكس ضرراً على المشتركين لجهة انخفاض سرعة خدمة الأنترنت ونوعيتها.

#669 April 30 2016

nuclearcat

Harb said truth.
google global cache
https://isp.google.com/iwantggc/

#670 April 30 2016

hussam

samer wrote:

The post mentions that ISPs were getting the "Google cache service" and passing it on to customers.
This makes zero sense. "Google Cache" is not a service provided by Google to ISPs. The only thing I can think of is how Google caches a page when its crawler indexes it and makes it accessible when you press the "cached" hyperlink next to a search result. Not sure how this relates to slow internet speeds.

I guess some ISPs were forwarding youtube requests to a local google cache server (something like a google cdn for youtube) which saves international bandwidth.
When this stopped, all requests were forwarded to parent google server in europe/us/whatever and this caused a congestion in the internet in Lebanon.
Ideally, there should be a google cache cdn, a cloudflare cdn node, etc... in Lebanon.

#671 May 2 2016

samer
Admin

nuclearcat wrote:

Harb said truth.
google global cache
https://isp.google.com/iwantggc/

Thanks Nuc, I stand corrected :)

#672 May 4 2016

RandomMemory

My download speeds have been around 700 KB/s non cached, But youtube sucks because it's being throttled by my ISP currently to save bandwidth after the google cache issue.

#673 June 2 2016

nuclearcat

9ff81c4d-aedf-437f-a9c5-f8989f74fe8d-original.png
Approx Lebanon lagging at 2003-2004

#674 June 2 2016

NuclearVision

nuclearcat wrote:

Perhaps i misunderstood, but 1 Mbps is around 10$ nowadays, this brings up to 2008!)) Did you consider the quota?
edit: i think i get it now, is it not costumer price?

Last edited by NuclearVision (June 2 2016)

#675 June 2 2016

Silentcontrol

NuclearVision wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

Perhaps i misunderstood, but 1 Mbps is around 10$ nowadays, this brings up to 2008!)) Did you consider the quota?
edit: i think i get it now, is it not costumer price?

what he means it the dedicated speed which is sold as E1 in lebanon ( E1=2Mbps and cost 250$)
so 1Mbps is 125$ ( although you can't buy it alone )

Last edited by Silentcontrol (June 2 2016)

Board footer