LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 16 2011

kareem_nasser

Another website that has a unique design

Sarif Industries

I also found the site to be a bit like Kassem's: www.prodouble-d.com (offline)

P.S: The site isnt real.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (April 16 2011)

#2 April 16 2011

samer
Admin

Re: Another website that has a unique design

A "splash page" and a full flash website (with a a never-ending preloader, I might add).
The parallax effect can be easily achieved without using flash (html/css/js).
The bottom links are hardly readable and the navigation menu is confusing.
I give it 3 stars out of 5.

#3 April 16 2011

rolf

*yawn*

This site is awfully slow. I'll post the website I'm working on when I'm done, normally on Monday. All the HTML is in one page and it uses Ajax :)

#4 April 16 2011

Kassem

This site can be described by "Flash gone bad...". It looks good yes, but it takes forever to load! The author of the website probably never heard of performance optimization and dynamic loading of content. I give a 2/5 rating.

#5 April 16 2011

kareem_nasser

@samer: Yeah the font size of the bottom links is very small. As for this part with a never-ending preloader, yeah in our Lebanese connection it is really bad.

@rolf: It is not a matter of slow but the site is filled with content all in Java.

I wonder if the same site could be implemented in HTML5?

#6 April 16 2011

MrClass

website looks nice, but what good is it if it can't load?

Design: 4.0/5.0
Performance: 1.0/5.0

#7 April 16 2011

Georges

On a fast connection, the page loads instantly. It was not designed for internet retarded countries.

As for the content, it's good. Really good. The designer(s) did a great job.

#8 April 16 2011

rolf

Georges wrote:

On a fast connection, the page loads instantly. It was not designed for internet retarded countries.

I have a 1mbps connection. Might not be super fast but it is the standard minimum I think, even for developed countries.

#9 April 16 2011

kareem_nasser

Actually if you notice the title of the thread it is related to the design aspect of the site. By the way this site is related to a game called: Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

#10 April 17 2011

rolf

The design is cool, except for the gratuitous design elements, that is elements that have no meaning, and I actually don't know what they are - broken glass or what... I hope I'm making myself clear! The parallax effect is cool in itself but adding meaningless (and unrelated?) elements to the design just to be able to produce that effect is not a good thing I think.

Remove that, and it's good; the colors and style are good for a gaming website.
Note... I am not a designer and this is a "geek" forum (and that is not graphic design geeks).

Also, for the menu, I think it should appear when you rollover the red square, not only the pyramid. It also sucks that a new page would load when you click on a link. As if waiting forever for the main page to load wasn't enough.

I have to say, though , it is an immersive website and from this point of view the design is good!

#11 April 17 2011

kareem_nasser

I suppose that the developer and designer of the site wanted the gamers(or fans of the series) to think that Sarif Industries truly exists.
The loading after every link is so annoying to us(but they dont take Lebanon into consideration), and the position of some links is as you said bad.

But overall and in general to a normal viewer with normal internet is should be 3/5.

#12 April 17 2011

Joe

rolf wrote:
Georges wrote:

I have a 1mbps connection. Might not be super fast but it is the standard minimum I think, even for developed countries.

I live in France, I have one of the fastest home connections in the world (that's to say that about 80% of the viewers worldwide have slower connections than I do). Verdict: 75 seconds to load.

<rhetorical question>How many visitors leave the page before even seeing your content in your opinion?</rhetorical question>

Flash, you've done it again ...

#13 April 18 2011

arithma

Don't blame the tools, blame the idiots. Please.

#14 April 18 2011

J4D

Arithma, malak il Kilobyte

#15 April 18 2011

xterm

rahmu wrote:

I live in France, I have one of the fastest home connections in the world (that's to say that about 80% of the viewers worldwide have slower connections than I do). Verdict: 75 seconds to load.

<rhetorical question>How many visitors leave the page before even seeing your content in your opinion?</rhetorical question>

It took me about 25 seconds to load the entire thing on a 2.3mbps connection. Either something's wrong with your connection or something wrong with your browser.

Love the design, I don't need to judge the performance because i find it acceptable for such a level of design.

#16 April 18 2011

rolf

xterm wrote:
rahmu wrote:

It took me about 25 seconds to load the entire thing on a 2.3mbps connection. Either something's wrong with your connection or something wrong with your browser.

Love the design, I don't need to judge the performance because i find it acceptable for such a level of design.

105 seconds here on a 1mbps.
I am sure it could have been made to load faster. And when you click on a link it all goes away, the music everything and you're left with a loading page. Again, no seamless load-on-demand.

#17 April 18 2011

xterm

rolf wrote:

Again, no seamless load-on-demand.

I think that's really a matter of preference. I honestly hate load on demand especially when it comes to flash powered websites.

-

On a side note, as arithma said, you can't blame the tools, you can only blame the developers. The entire Flash vs HTML horse has been beaten to death thousands of times. HTML5 (and all the specs that complement it) would not have been possible today, had it not been for plugins (Flash, Silverlight, etc).

For a designer, Productivity in Flash 'X'/Expression Blend is still far superior than any alternative for HTML. Give it a couple of months (years) when a major development powerhouse builds a tool that allows designers to model directly to HTML5 with the simplicity of the fore-mentioned products, and then everything will become clear as day.

I bet you anything there's are already teams at it at Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and most probably google (in terms of an RIA).

#18 April 18 2011

m0ei

http://hackerdegree.com/
One of the best design and idea i think.

#19 April 18 2011

xterm

m0ei wrote:

http://hackerdegree.com/
One of the best design and idea i think.

Cute, i rather enjoyed it.

#20 April 18 2011

rolf

xterm wrote:
rolf wrote:

Again, no seamless load-on-demand.

I think that's really a matter of preference. I honestly hate load on demand especially when it comes to flash powered websites.

True, but I don't think anyone would want the music to stop and everything to stop when you press a link, to be taken on a blank page that will take at least 10 seconds to load. That's what I was thinking about.

Regarding longer initial loading times vs loading data as you go from inside the app, true it can be a matter of preference. For me whatever minimizes delays is preferable, which usually means loading data as you go (with some smart preloading), because you don't know what pages the visitor will open, so why make him wait to load all the data.

#21 April 18 2011

xterm

rolf wrote:

True, but I don't think anyone would want the music to stop and everything to stop when you press a link, to be taken on a blank page that will take at least 10 seconds to load. That's what I was thinking about.

Regarding longer initial loading times vs loading data as you go from inside the app, true it can be a matter of preference. For me whatever minimizes delays is preferable, which usually means loading data as you go (with some smart preloading), because you don't know what pages the visitor will open, so why make him wait to load all the data.

Alternatively, a developer could add "Preload All" or "Load on Demand" option.

Board footer