LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 4 2011

amjadk

Prepaid Bank Cards?

Hey everyone, my Bank Audi yellow prepaid card is expiring next month and before renewing it, I was wondering what other options do I have. Although I'm satisfied with the card, I can't manage it online, I can only check the balance twice a month (then it becomes 25cents/check), and withdrawing from non-Bank Audi ATM's costs 5$s... I'm not sure what other banks offer and was hoping you guys could help me out..
Thanks in advance.

#2 April 4 2011

WizaRd

Re: Prepaid Bank Cards?

Every bank charges $5 for withdrawing money from any ATM other than theirs be it within Lebanon or in China.

Some banks have deals between them and they charge as low as $0.5 but make sure you ask your account manager in your branch.

Word of advice, stay away from prepaid and credit cards. There are too many hidden fees involved and trust me I work with these on a daily basis :)

Try to go with a debit card if you can. You don't want to mess up your balances.

#3 April 4 2011

mesa177

I personally use the mini Visa offered by BLOM Bank (the staff is a hassle to deal with, but the card's worth it). You pay an annual fee of 8$, with 25$ being the lower limit on the card's balance to 500$ being the maximum (optimal for usage for on-line payments). You can only check the card's balance by an ATM, but that's because you don't need to have an account at the bank to issue the card. On every transaction made, 0.16$ is taken out.

#4 April 4 2011

jadz

i like the mini visa its because the money you deposit becomes available immediatly unlike some other banks ^^

#5 April 4 2011

eurybaric

^ as in same day?

#6 April 5 2011

amjadk

Sorry I guess mine would be called a debit card...

Yesterday I deposited some money into the account and today while trying to buy something online, it was denied. I called customer support but they couldn't find my account.. Not only does it make no sense at all but this is the second time this happens...

#7 April 5 2011

WizaRd

No yours is not called debit card. Yours is called prepaid card.

Prepaid = you put money to 'charge' it.

Debit = you already have an account with bank x and you have a card to withdraw from your (savings) account.

#8 April 5 2011

amjadk

Ok got it just confused myself a little.. I'm too young to open a normal bank account so prepaid is my only option...

#9 April 6 2011

jadz

@eurybaric, in the same minute

#10 May 23 2018

NuclearVision

One question about the Blom.mini visa.
I got it weeks ago and purchased something on aliexpress.
The item costs 24.87 i got charged 26.59
Is that normal? I believe 7% is a huge fee... Or is it only one time? My second order 3.04 didn't get a surcharge.
thanks!
Edir: card is USD not LBP.

Last edited by NuclearVision (May 23 2018)

#11 May 23 2018

xazbrat

NuclearVision wrote:

One question about the Blom.mini visa.
I got it weeks ago and purchased something on aliexpress.
The item costs 24.87 i got charged 26.59
Is that normal? I believe 7% is a huge fee... Or is it only one time? My second order 3.04 didn't get a surcharge.
thanks!
Edir: card is USD not LBP.

I don't know, but that looks like a shipping charge added on.  I have never had that kind of issue with my mini blom card(s) so recheck the charge that was assessed to you by the seller.

#12 May 23 2018

NuclearVision

ali invoice is clear. i even contacted support.

#13 May 23 2018

NuclearVision

contacted both aliexpress and blom. Both deny their responsibility of the surcharge.  I will stop here, but next time this happens i'll file a claim.

#14 May 24 2018

new_user

How do you check the bill of blom visa mini card? (Check costs of previously completed purchases.) I know you can do that through atm. Is there a way to do it online?

#15 May 24 2018

NuclearVision

Online, no way as far as i know.

Board footer