LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 20 2011

xterm

Simply Amazing Digital Painting

I'm rarely amazed, but this is beyond insane, to a point where i do not believe that this is actually possible. This person's drawing is so addictive, I can't stop watching her clips.

http://www.youtube.com/user/StephanieValentin

#2 January 20 2011

Bassem

Re: Simply Amazing Digital Painting

Pretty good. I guess I got used to this degree of skill after spending years on deviantART. :)
I was drawn to her music too, nice stuff, an oriental touch in there.

#3 January 20 2011

J4D

Megan Fox !

#4 January 21 2011

xterm

Bassem wrote:

Pretty good. I guess I got used to this degree of skill after spending years on deviantART. :)
I was drawn to her music too, nice stuff, an oriental touch in there.

What I don't get is how she's able to draw the faces so accurately. Also I know the clips are sped up, but to what extent?3x, 4x,10x, 20x? Even if it's 20x that's 40 minutes to draw th person flawlessly.

My more important question is, is this only based on skill? Or is this mostly something you learn in the field?

#5 January 21 2011

Georges

Outstanding video xterm. As you mentioned, this requires great skills, precision, imagination.

What impressed me the most:
The shadows, she draws them like if they were real.
The face, drawn with an extremely high degree of precision.
The edges of body parts. (ex: Hand). this, with proper shadowing, makes the image as realistic as possible.
The excessive use of colors and the great mix of them together.
---

One more place to check such amazing videos is Graffiti on Facebook. It's even harder than using Adobe Photoshop. But still, they manage to draw some really good photos.

And xterm, referring to what you mentioned on the time required to draw such a image, i guess that 20 mins, 40 mins, or even 1 hour aren't enough to complete this.
In the video, i didn't notice any drawing mistake (which i highly find impossible). This means that the video has been edited and cropped several times...
nevertheless, she's still good. Way too good.

Last edited by Georges (January 21 2011)

#6 January 21 2011

Bassem

xterm wrote:

What I don't get is how she's able to draw the faces so accurately. Also I know the clips are sped up, but to what extent?3x, 4x,10x, 20x? Even if it's 20x that's 40 minutes to draw th person flawlessly.

My more important question is, is this only based on skill? Or is this mostly something you learn in the field?

Usually a reference photo is used. Some people place the ref as a layer on the bottom, and paint over it. It doesn't seem she's doing that, so it would be opened in another window.

From there it's purely a matter of recreating it. She's damn good!
But when I look at the end result, despite the amazing skill to create it, it looks, well... boring? Too perfect? Too clean?

Some other works of hers look more natural, like this oil painting
See the irregularities in anatomical proportions, such as the left forearm and hand that are too large.

When it comes to digital paintings I like stuff like this where it's kind of rough, you can see the brushstrokes, but the talent and skill and mastery of light and textures is just captivating!

Board footer