LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 1 2011

Kassem

The .LESS Library

Hey everyone,

I've seen this on the internet before but never really knew what it is. Today I decided to read an article about the .LESS library which is a port of the Ruby's LESS library for enhancing the capabilities of CSS. This library would definitely prove to be helpful when styling a website. Check it out:
DotLess.org (Official Website)
Improving CSS with .LESS (Tutorial Article)

What do you think?

#2 January 1 2011

Ayman

Re: The .LESS Library

That seems really interesting especially for the ability to have variables, functions, and nicer nested rules. I will surely check it out sometime soon. Bookmarked :)

#3 January 1 2011

Kassem

I was wondering why wouldn't developers work on CSS to make it more of a language rather than a set of styling rules. I really wish it would develop to a certain point where it becomes an Object Oriented language. If there were an open-source project for that purpose, I might be interested in contributing. Is the idea actually feasible?

#4 January 2 2011

MSD

Kassem wrote:

I was wondering why wouldn't developers work on CSS to make it more of a language rather than a set of styling rules. I really wish it would develop to a certain point where it becomes an Object Oriented language. If there were an open-source project for that purpose, I might be interested in contributing. Is the idea actually feasible?

I have heard about the .LESS library before, and I think it is very useful. As for your question about making CSS more of a language, one option is that it becomes a hosted (compiled) language thus  less compatible and portable than it currently is, which is not acceptable I guess (slower, no more static pages). The other option, making it a client side language is kind of already available by using javascript libraries like jquery, prototype and others.

My 2 cents, anyone cares to add?

#5 January 21 2011

Kassem

Apparently, CSS is being worked on to support features available in the LESS library natively. Read more about it here.

#6 January 21 2011

samer
Admin

An alternative to LESS would be SASS:

Sass makes CSS fun again. Sass is an extension of CSS3, adding nested rules, variables, mixins, selector inheritance, and more.

check it out here: http://sass-lang.com/

Board footer