LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 June 26 2011

sikander

Re: What is exactly Biomedical Engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a new field but with a bright future . It deals with doing research into subjects like biology , chemistry , engineering subjects , maths etc . It is expected that the stream will rise at the rate of 72% for next ten years and will have thousands of jobs .Since , not may people are not ware of this field , i also refer you a link for further information on biomedical engineering , biomedical engineer

Last edited by sikander (June 26 2011)

#27 June 26 2011

mesa177

@sikander: the rate you gave only applies to the states and Europe. The interest in the field is rising, true, even in the middle east (especially in the gulf region), but mostly regarding sales. That's where the money is actually. As for the salary ranges mentioned, don't even dream about it (not even abroad, we joke about such figures in BME groups like on LinkedIn and embe forum).

#28 June 27 2011

Samer99

graph3.jpg

mesa177 wrote:

As for the salary ranges mentioned, don't even dream about it (not even abroad, we joke about such figures in BME groups like on LinkedIn and embe forum).

You are aware that those salaries are annual salaries in the USA? Because I find that those salaries are very reasonable for any engineer working in the USA or Europe (in western countries, a waste collector earns more than 30,000 USD a year).

Last edited by Samer99 (June 27 2011)

#29 June 27 2011

mesa177

Samer99 wrote:

http://abiomedicalengineer.com/wp-conte … graph3.jpg

mesa177 wrote:

As for the salary ranges mentioned, don't even dream about it (not even abroad, we joke about such figures in BME groups like on LinkedIn and embe forum).

You are aware that those salaries are annual salaries in the USA? Because I find that those salaries are very reasonable for any engineer working in the USA or Europe (in western countries, a waste collector earns more than 30,000 USD a year).

very much aware, and yes they are figures based on studies of how much a biomedical engineer should be getting upon years of experience. Still, we don't... Not even BMETs who are considered the best in our field.

#30 June 27 2011

scatman

hey mesa :). how much biology do you actually know?
i am currently working on "protein folding" problem (actually i am implementing an algorithm on a cluster of GPUs) and i need help understanding some the biology concepts.
are you familiar with the problem?

#31 June 27 2011

mesa177

@scatman: afraid my knowledge stops on identifying polypeptides and amino acid sequences, not how they form alpha helixes, betta sheets and tertiary structures. This sounds more in the domain of molecular biology. However, it sounds like an interesting subject, so I'll try to read more about it (I'm a bit familiar with the problem but not much).

Last edited by mesa177 (June 27 2011)

#32 December 8 2011

A.M.A

Hey guys,
I'm a second secondary student, and i really would like to know if genetic engineering is found in Lebanon?
And if it is, what universities teaches it?

#33 December 8 2011

mesa177

A.M.A wrote:

Hey guys,
I'm a second secondary student, and i really would like to know if GENETIC ENGINEERING is found in Lebanon!!?? And if it is, what universities teaches it??

Yes, according to Kassem's response within this thread, AUST has a genetic engineering program. However, to know more about it, I advise you to check with the dean of the Faculty of Engineering (or whoever is heading the program there).

Board footer