LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 12 2008

toxic

need to buy laptop

i need to buy new laptop i wanted to buy toshiba satellite a series  but i can't find something  to get the specs but i found this hp on pcandparts

HP DV5-1135 Intel DUO Core2 2.26GHz 3GB Ram 250GB HDD DVDRW  15.4" TFT Modem, LAN, WIFI 9600M GT 512MB up to 1.7GB VGA Bluetooth /Cam/Windows Vista Home Premium $1215.00**

hey guys i also found same laptop hp  in Sin el fil at GCC for 1300$ with TVA includeed what the hell i thought pcanparts had the best prices

Last edited by toxic (November 12 2008)

#2 November 12 2008

mir

Re: need to buy laptop

i can check for you as well the same specs
might find you a cheaper thing

and i know TigerHearts can sometimes provide with good prices...if u find time on their time table

#3 November 12 2008

BashLogic

stay away from toshiba, sony, acer, fujitsu-siemens. if you want good quality, get a lenovo. dell is good as well.
if you want multimedia and a laptop that works for a year or so, get an hp pavillion. if you want just
to fiddle with it, surf the net and read mails, get an asus pcee ;)

ive used laptops well over 12 years, in my experience, over the whole period, dell has been the best bang for the buck. but during the last 4 years ive been using dell and lenovo concurrently. if you want the performance and agility, get the lenovo. if you want somwhere along the line, get a dell, one thing is for sure with dell, on the long run the support service works.

Last edited by BashLogic (November 12 2008)

#4 November 13 2008

mir

Since i owned and operated 1 single laptop.. wich is a Toshiba... i may not have that broad experience
but i can say that i was happy from my toshiba .... and well, it is still working, which is something considering that my friends where placing bets on how long the laptop lasts ( ranging from 1 week to max a 1 month )

#5 November 13 2008

Tigerheart.Hackers

Based on personal experience, as The Tigerhearts used to resell laptops in the past:
Any laptop that does not have Arabic letters on the keys, did not pass legally inside Lebanon. Those are mostly buggy laptops that didn't even get refurbished. They're supposed to be sold as parts, but they're not. They look new and are sold as new. The rest are refurbihed.
Now, as for brand names, the following is based on OUR experience. It doesn't apply to 100% of the cases, so here goes:
Toshiba & Sony are getting tons of refurbished material. They are 2 of the most highly overrated laptop companies,  so if they sell 1 refurbished laptop among every 20, you wouldn't know. Mind you, refurbished computers, even if fixed, remain buggy for life. It all comes down to the board.
Acer is clean, cheap, but not heavy duty. You'd see one heck of a performance difference if you get an Acer and a Toshiba with the same specs. One thing about Acer though, if you're buying from an authorized Technomania reseller, there's NO CHANCE you'd get a headache. No refurbs ever, instant faulty parts exchange. They really live up to their words.
Fujitsu's problem is that they never get fixed here. They're good. However, every time something's wrong, you'd have to wait for around 1 month to get your issue handled.
Lenovo is not bad. The new modules have an issue: NO DELETE KEY. I have no idea why that is, but it's missing.
HP are cool-looking, refurbs mostly. The totally new are not too powerful though.
Dell is awesome, too expensive though.
Dilemma dilemma dilemma... Right?

#6 November 14 2008

toxic

thanx alot  for your help guys i think i'll go with HP

#7 November 14 2008

rolf

Compuworld... I get over 10% discount on their already good list price...
Try to haggle a bit you might get something similar... but please dont mention me.

But what u mentionned is a pretty good price.

Last edited by rolf (November 14 2008)

#8 February 14 2009

Rody
Banned

You should email pcandparts they will match the price or even you might get a better one

Board footer