LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 24 2008

jreijiri

Building new desktop

i want to build a new pc and i want some recommendations and approx prices for some components.
i want a pc for gaming and engineering programs (not the heavy duty programs) if theres no prob i would like to know abt the best amd solutions with the compatible asus motherboards.
and wats better? ati or nvidia? and which model would fit best? as i saw is that the ati is most compatible with the amd ...
the budget is around 800-1000$ (i dont need a screen so that will lower down the price) it can vary more or less a bit.

Thanks in advance
-Patrick

#2 August 27 2008

samer
Admin

Re: Building new desktop

For the prices, checkout www.pcandparts.com

#3 August 27 2008

nuclearcat

Important - power supply. Don't install chinese noname 400W, which is popular in leb. 3 HDD - and it is dead... most probably with ur motherboard and harddrives.

Last edited by nuclearcat (August 27 2008)

#4 August 29 2008

crazy

Actually I wouldn't recommand pcandparts.com for the prices.. you would see the price a looooooooooooot less, because most of the time it is refurbished and they don't tell you that. In the early days of pcandparts it was a good "shop", but now, I use it to see the price but I add around 100$ depending on the product. But to buy from pc and parts, I wouldn't do the same mistake again.

Crazy

P.S: Patrick teb2a elle 3al msn chou baddak, eza enta zake ra7 ta3rif min ana;) hint: ex C.E (sar lezim ta3rif)

#5 September 3 2008

Tigerheart.Hackers

Are we talking a FULL PC here or just the case?

#6 November 25 2008

Piotr

pc and parts can be a reference, or just check ..http://www.microcityweb.com/index.asp

#7 November 27 2008

beezer

Basically it goes.
AMD = ATI
Intel = nVidia.

But of course, they make them for both. They're unisex like that

Personally. I've never owned AMD or ATI. However, I have some friends that swear by them...but I just refuse to use them. I've never ever been disappointed by Intel or nVidia (and also cause I own stocks in both companies, lol). I dunno how overclocking on AMD is, but my Intel 2.4 has been pushing 2.94Ghz for several years now on stock cooling. (knock on wood).

Brands. I also live by ASUS for motherboards. Overclocking is done simply, safely, efficiently. The BIOS is setup just the way I like it. OPEN for everything. heheh...and they always pump out firmware updates to support new things. They're great.

Graphics cards. Depends how much money you have. XFX is a good entry level and moderately priced. BFG is best (again IMO). And remember, you don't have to buy 2 cards now. Just buy one expensive one, and then a few months down the road buy the same model at the cheaper price.

I like to pimp out my computer with the best products available so that it actually survives half a decade without any upgrades.
The last desktop computer that I built was in 2003 and she's still rockin'

Use your common sense when you want to build it. Remember that when you build, you end up buying shit that you don't really need. Sometimes a known manufacturer is a cheaper alternative.

#8 November 27 2008

samer
Admin

But of course, they make them for both. They're unisex like that

Yep, I'm running ATI (Radeon HD 2600) with Intel (Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz).
and it's running smoothly :)

#9 January 21 2009

Rody
Banned

Hey Crazy, I have been buying from pcandparts since 10 years now, they are professional and i can assure you their products are new not refurbished hehe

My dad has an engineering company all of our computers are from them around 20 or so, got a bad sector in hard drive once, just sent them an email, received the replacement within days.

#10 January 23 2009

rolf

Compuworld have some enlight cases, and even have some enlight power supply laying around if youre lucky....
They also have good prices if you bargain.

#11 January 23 2009

Padre

Thermaltake PSU FTW !!!!!
i have a 650W Silent Thermaltake and a thermaltake case (tai-chi) .... quite nice

Board footer