LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 3 2008

darkstar

Blu Ray and HDTVs

Has anyone tried watching Blu Ray quality movies.

I'm planning on purchasing a PS3 mainly because it has Blu Ray capabilities which look amazing according to what I've read.

[rant]

The dreaded thing is that they still are implementing region locks on them. So for example if you want to purchase a Blu Ray movie from amazon, it comes locked for region A which is North/South America and southeast asia. Such BS tbh.

What good do region locks bring when you can simply download a software of from the internet to break the lock!!

I'm also sure the sales will increase dramatically if they had forgotten about this aspect.

Another thing that bothers me is the following:
I've been to several so called good electronic shops here in lebanon (Khoury home, Abed tahan..etc) in search of some decent quality HDTVs that are 37-inch or below. Its simple: if you want to get 1080p you are obliged to purchase a LCD of 40-inch or above which cost over 3 grands. Moreover, what adds to your frustration is that when you search on amazon.com for HDTV you can find some really amazing 32-inch 1080p HDTVs for like 1.0-1.5k.

Ok enough of the ranting

[/rant]

#2 June 3 2008

battikh

Re: Blu Ray and HDTVs

for hdtvs look also at the contrasts. the cheap 1.5k TVs have a very low contrast ratio. the good ones should be 10000:1, 8000:1 should be fine though

#3 June 4 2008

darkstar

Yep I'm aware of that, thanks ;)
also look for refresh rates such as  60,100 or 120Hz . The higher the better since you avoid motion blur.

#4 June 12 2008

beezer

If you know someone that lives outside then have them buy it and ship it for you.
I do some work in Saudi Arabia.
It costs me 1,800USD total (tv, customs, and shipping) where as the tv was over $5,000 here at the time at those places that you mentioned.
50' Panasonic

#5 June 12 2008

Tigerheart.Hackers

Don't buy a PS3 for BluRay, not worth it. BluRay players will be out cheap in December.

Board footer