LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 30 2007

mir

How does Closing Laptop work?

when i close the laptop... i cause it to hibernate

ibn jirana.. saw me do this
u know.. little kids ask about anything and everything

he asked me how it works
i was like.. euh euh
there must be something that clicks when i close the lid
so we brought 2 things khashab.. and tried to press them same time to see if it shuts down

didn't do a thing
then i thought 3al 7arf
we tried.. no sucess
i was laughing to myself and wonderign kif ma fakart fiya abl

and i told l sabeh that i donno.. that i will check for him

so.. any answer guys? i am too tired to google it

Last edited by mir (October 30 2007)

#2 October 30 2007

battikh

Re: How does Closing Laptop work?

it mainly depends on the laptop, but in all cases it's based on a small switch. i saw DELLs who have a tiny small buton just under the screen, my ibm has a slim thing in the lower corner of the screen that when closed enters inside the lower part of the laptop and pushes a switch, and for my toshiba it seems to me as it is inside the junction between the lower part of the laptop and the screen (the things that makes the screen go up and down) that would activate the switch when the screen reaches a certain angle.

#3 October 31 2007

mir

i have a toshiba
i will check it

#4 October 31 2007

7aRami

there usually is a small button at the place joining the screen with the lower part of the laptop.
the button used to be obvious in some old laptop, my brother for example has an old acer and if u use a pen u can push that button and make the laptop go into standby.

#5 November 1 2007

nuclearcat

Yes, there is small button, which send ACPI event - usually called "Lid".

#6 November 2 2007

Tigerheart.Hackers

You guys got the right answer for most of the laptops, but not all. Yes, most laptops have small buttons somewhere on the hinges. If you look around, you can spot it. If you looked too close and couldn't find any, it's because there really isn't. Some modules have liquid mercury inside which, upon lid closing, slides and triggers a motion sensor. Sounds complicated but it's really an old concept. One downside for this, is that you could flip your laptop upside down or move it around quickly in a random motion, and the laptop would go into hibernation on its own.

#7 November 7 2007

Hybrid

Just tell the kid he will understand when he grows up... it always work

#8 November 13 2007

rolf

If you cant work any small switch to make it hibernate, then maybe it's some system based on a magnet.

Board footer