LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 23 2007

jayinferno

Improve display on Lower Resolutions ?

Hey All !

I know u missed me ! been away for quite a while now..  too many projects its dreadful around here
Anywhow, help me out if you can

Juz got a new Thinkpad T61, it has an Nvidia NVS 140M display
Now the prob that is making me not quite satisfied with my thinkpad is the display side. The screen is 14' wide, and the default resolution is 1440x900. Using that res, the display is very neat, but after less than 1 hour of usage, ull get migraines, everything is so small on a 14' wide with a 1440x900
I tried lowering the res to 1280 x 800, but the display is ugly, and too blurry. I tried everything to do with font smoothing from windows, ClearType and all, but still it is blurry, and after a while it becomes annoying (like looking at wedding pictures with that blurry effect heheh)

I tried to modestly search for any upgrade or any solution, but found none.

Any ideas ?

P.S.: Oh, and i HATE Vista !

#2 October 23 2007

mir

Re: Improve display on Lower Resolutions ?

check also the refresh rate
i think low refresh rate cause the migraine thing

try downloading the driver from the nvida website , not from microsoft.. i heard that there is some kinda difference
maybe it would help with the blurring thing

those are the couple of first ideas that came to my mind
will check later

#3 October 24 2007

karim

jayinferno, what people do not understand is that higher resolution is better. Instead of decreasing your resolution to get bigger fonts, you could maybe try and increasing the font size on the screen. That way, instead of having say 100 pixels to draw one character, you'd have around 150 pixels allowing for better rounded edges, and more details to come out.
Higher resolution simply means you control more pixels on your screen: The same text, with the same apparent font size on a higher resolution screen will be much more pleaseant to the eyes.

#4 October 24 2007

jayinferno

thanks Guyz

Mir: Nvidia have no driver for the time being for that card

Karim: yeah, but the icons would look small. And u still have very small text in browser and documents that u have to always zoom and stuff, right ?
Refresh rate is not changeable

#5 October 24 2007

mahdoum

Have you tried to change the DPI setting?

#6 October 24 2007

jayinferno

yeah ma this is what Karim suggested.

But guyz the thing is that this is the first time i face this. When i lower the resolution, the display is kindda "Blurred". I think there's should be some driver update on the way sometime soon.
In the meantime, i hate Vista. hehehe

Board footer