LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 21 2005

Padre

Lan Party Any one ????

Heya boys n girls
A lot of lan partys are organised all over the world ....except in here !!!!!
unless some r and i dont know of
so let's organise and nice and good lan party

#2 September 21 2005

mahdoum

Re: Lan Party Any one ????

heh dun't have a good enough pc  unless you want to rent out an network cafe.....

#3 September 21 2005

rolf

how big of a party do you mean (I always see big)

#4 September 22 2005

Padre

let's see .... we can make as big as 500 ppl or more  or just make it a nice and cool small lan party.
Of course a lan party of 500 ppl is considerated a medium on, but still needs organization. U need to provide accomodation and Internet along with the infrastructure for fast and good enough games
IF any one is intereseted in organising one for this board and others, lemme know, i already have couple of freinds that could really help.
We could also include seminars and stuff like that along with certificates etc .... it would really be a good event

#5 September 22 2005

samer
Admin

i'm very interested.. though my b0x is pretty lame (needs a lot of modding, btw.)

#6 September 22 2005

mahdoum

beh i don't have a box in beirut  i have a cuboid (I think thats the shape of my laptop)

#7 September 22 2005

Parabola

Yeah I am interested :)

#8 September 22 2005

darkstar

We "organised" one last summer but we were like 10 people . But what i know is that we had LOTS of fun , we also had mini tournaments in warcraft ..So yes i am interested too... 500 people is quite a large number imo but its still fun no matter the quantity

#9 September 22 2005

Padre

Ok, a freind of mine is a kinda of organiser for such things
We were thiking of organizing one in Beirut hall ro smth like that.
U guys will need to get ur sleeping bags with u
We are still in the organizing phase, anyone willing to contribute will be welcome.
It should be a 3days one, Internet will be provided, tournaments and 24/7 games will surely be allowed. But i think fees will be applied, like 70$ for all 3 days including a Tshirt that u get.
U think it is doable in leb ? (with TV Coverage , everything is doable )

#10 September 22 2005

rolf

let's see .... we can make as big as 500 ppl or more  or just make it a nice and cool small lan party.
Of course a lan party of 500 ppl is considerated a medium on, but still needs organization. U need to provide accomodation and Internet along with the infrastructure for fast and good enough games
IF any one is intereseted in organising one for this board and others, lemme know, i already have couple of freinds that could really help.
We could also include seminars and stuff like that along with certificates etc .... it would really be a good event

For 500 persons you need like 25 of them 24ports (or more) 100mbps switches. They are quite common, hopefully we can get them 2nd hand or borrow them... we can get them new at about 130 each. I can borrow you one.
Ideally we should get switches with 1 port of 1gbps and interconnect them by a 1gbps backbone, but it'll cost more.

#11 September 22 2005

rolf

You know it's not such a bad idea, seing the number of games cafes it could work.

#12 September 23 2005

mahdoum

yeah, not only that but the fact that many people in lebanon are quiet heavy gamers...

#13 September 23 2005

rolf

how do we get tv coverage for this thing?

#14 September 23 2005

Padre

u go to a place were they do u a di3aye ....then u got put it on TV
IF u have ouasta in the TV u may get TV coverage for the event itself or part of it.
I talked with coupled of guys todays. They seemed interested. Project may go further.
Ideas, things ud like to see there,  dunno anything for a 3 day LanParty is welcome  (ur help in organisation is too ;))

#15 September 23 2005

rolf

beside the 70$ you also need to offer other price formulas. It's too much for most people.

#16 September 23 2005

rolf

what about making tournaments with good prizes to be won?

#17 September 23 2005

Padre

humm.... 70$ .... we need to rent the place, get all the 1g backbone necessary, get serers to host some of the events ...and of course get the fast internet connection for everyone ......
We will see, we'll inquiry all the ppl responsible and get the best prices and just devide by what will be the targetted number of ppl. If less comes , akalna sobbat.

#18 September 24 2005

darkstar

Something like this is more than enough:
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-305-1.htm
Look at all the hardware

#19 September 24 2005

mahdoum

oh oh that looks really cool

#20 September 24 2005

Padre

that's one of the many lanparty that r taking places
Ofcourse tournaments in game and stuff like this r a must along with prizes for 1st second and 3rd places ... bla bla bla
i'm talking with ppl that are able to finance it ... hope it works ...

#21 September 24 2005

darkstar

yeah i hope it works too ...

#22 September 24 2005

Padre

for 25$ how many of you would go for a 28hrs lan party ??
i was thiking in a hotel ballroom. The backbone will be 1G and dedicated servers will be provided. Tournaments in all kind of games will be availabe.
But we need a nice way for advertising  and i'll try and take care of the prizes

Board footer