LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 12 2005

rolf

Apache + NTLM + PHP anyone?

Has anywone worked with apache + NTLM authentication module + PHP?
Ok, I know apache + PHP, I am interested by the NTLM part.

If you're wondering what's NTLM + APACHE for, it authenticates you transparently (= automatically = no login page) to a website with your windows username if you're on a microsoft domain.

#2 May 18 2005

mahdoum

Re: Apache + NTLM + PHP anyone?

elaborate more  i sitll don't get what it is

#3 May 18 2005

rolf

NTLM = NT logon manager (i think)
You know what a micrsoft domain is?
Well imagine that a company has a microsoft domain system.
That means the employee has to logon on his workstation by doing ctrl-alt-delete and typing his username and password. Now when he logs on, thanks to the microsoft domain system, he gets specific permissions. For example Mr.X can access shared folders on the server but cannot access the shared folders on the boss' PC.
Now when the boss logs on, his account lets him access all shares on the network (he's the boss after all).
For this to work, you need a setup a microsoft domain, using windows workstations and a domain controller (the domain controller is usually a computer running a windows server OS). BTW linux can work either as a domain client or even a domain controller, impressive!
Now imagine there's a company intranet website. (a website accessible only from inside the company), and this website is hosted on an apache server.
The users to this website have to authenticate (log on), and again they'll get access to different pages depending on their permissions.
Now what is happening is that the user has to log in twice: once on his PC, and the 2nd time on the intranet website.
Yet there is a module for apache, it's called NTLM authentication module. With this module, apache will try to authenticate any PC that connects to it using the NTLM protocol. The result is that the user only needs to log on to his PC, and he'll be logged on to the website automatically.
If anyone can help me set up this module on apache I'd be grateful. I probably can do it on my own, but it'll take more time, and I dont want to spend too much time since this is not necessary.

#4 May 18 2005

mahdoum

lol shu lazy, yeah we have that in our school. but do you really need it??

#5 May 18 2005

mahdoum

http://www.runestig.com/mod_ntlm.html found this may be helpful

#6 May 18 2005

rolf

Thanks for the link!
What you have at school maybe Microsoft IIS, not apache. IIS comes shipped with NTLM authentication, so no need for a module and all that.
Actually, no, I dont really need it. It's rather tedyi3 wa2t.

#7 May 18 2005

mahdoum

hehe, time is money  do you like giving away money?? lol btw why is this in the linux form??

actually my school has internal custom made database

#8 May 22 2005

Sadus

whatever it is, its huge security breach, don't use this crap!

Board footer