LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 18 2004

KingRhye

Another VB6 problem to solve

Okay I already know the answer, but I wanna test the rest of you with this easy problem:
You're coding in VB6, and you encounter a pointer to a String variable, possibly returned by an imported dll function, and you need to retrieve the actual string.. so all you have is this Long variable which is the pointer to the String, how will you proceed ?

#2 October 18 2004

waleed

Re: Another VB6 problem to solve

actualy u can bend her over...slip your finger from under the lace, and pull out the string fast ...
the rougher you are, the hotter she gets.

#3 October 18 2004

JorJ

Hahahahaha @Waleed.

#4 October 18 2004

KingRhye

Waleed I'm talking about a different kind of "long variable pointing to a string" but thanx for your effort ;)

#5 October 20 2004

Ragnar78

You just transform the long variable into string using Cstr()

#6 October 20 2004

KingRhye

Ragnar78, the long variable is a POINTER to a string..

#7 October 21 2004

KingRhye

I'm very happy to see so many good programmers in this tech community, really living up to the "programming skills" they praised in some other topic :)

#8 October 22 2004

Parabola

LOL @ SAM...

#9 October 25 2004

Ozzi

one question, fi pointers in VB6?

#10 October 25 2004

KingRhye

LOL yes.. and this shows just how good you are in VB6 :)

#11 October 27 2004

Ozzi

There are no such thing as pointers in VB6, but I guess you can call an api function and it will use a byte or an integer, to give the api function a pointer address.

And btw, I don't know VB6, bass sheftak ktir 7ebib 7adan yjewbak, elet what the heck   

And concerning the second problem you had, maybe you should try forums that are more specialized in programming languages, because people there are professionals in the specific language. And I'm sure they can help you better, I think you know that!

#12 October 28 2004

KingRhye

There are no such thing as pointers in VB6, but I guess you can call an api function and it will use a byte or an integer, to give the api function a pointer address.

And btw, I don't know VB6, bass sheftak ktir 7ebib 7adan yjewbak, elet what the heck   

And concerning the second problem you had, maybe you should try forums that are more specialized in programming languages, because people there are professionals in the specific language. And I'm sure they can help you better, I think you know that!

Really ? Maybe you should look into these VB6 functions: VarPtr, StrPtr, ObjPtr and AddressOf. Go ahead and enlighten yourself about the real power of VB6.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as … -us;199824  ;)
and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau … raries.asp  ;)
You thought you knew VB6..   Anyway thanx for the advice concerning the other topic, but I already found an alternative for using the CallBack, it was easier to let the library queue the events and then extract them one by one.

#13 October 29 2004

joey

heyy i didn't know that, i've been a vb programmer for a long time, but never really needed pointers, and when i needed them, i always used other languages to get my work done.

But it's interesting what you said king rhye, you seem to know your shit!!
i'm impressed.

#14 October 29 2004

Ozzi

Just for the record, I said I don't know VB. But It seems that you don't read well what I write in these posts.  :}

#15 October 29 2004

KingRhye

Just for the record, I said I don't know VB. But It seems that you don't read well what I write in these posts. :}

Hmm then explain to us how you claimed that there are no pointers in VB6 if you didn't know VB6 ?  :rolleyes:
Take 2 pills and call me in the morning  ;)

#16 October 30 2004

Ozzi

Well I told you that you don't read well my post, you're good at copy pasting the expressions that fit for your comfort :)
So as from 1 till 2 i have nothing, i saw your topics and desperate call for someone to answer your topics, and I got some fellow colleagues who work on VB6, so I took the liberty to ask them to answer your question, so they were like "there are no pointers in VB6". and that's that :) I was just humoring you, you know, coz it felt that you were the only one posting in your threads.

Oh and one more thing, although I didn't want to say it, as you're a pro programmer (as you claim) and stuff, but here it goes: do you actually know someone who knows everything in all possible languages and technologies? I mean, do you really think there's nothing in life but being an excellent programmer? does this give you the right to diss other people? Does it make you any better HUMAN being than others?

I know excellent programmers, w am not one (this will make you sleep at night), anyway they don't BRAG about it, not even a bit, and when i tell them, hey guys you're GOOD, they just say, it comes with practice, and it's not really a big thing!

I truly hope to see an interesting coding and computer discussion in here, so if you got something to give while being modest, that would be awesome, but if you're gonna brag about every nice trick in VB6 you know (knowing tricks is VERY cool, don't get me wrong but bragging isn't), then that's not interesting anymore, it's UNinteresting!

Voila! That's my honest opinion Mr Sam, am not sure you're gonna like it though.

#17 October 30 2004

KingRhye

Hahaha yeah right I was bragging when I posted 2 VB6 problems I encountered and asked for help in here cos I thought people in here meant what they said when they revealed to us their amazing "programming skills", MY MISTAKE. Oh and go back and tell those programmer friends of yours about the existence of pointers in VB6, enlighten them a little.. ;) Basita ma tlo3teh khosraneh bel ekher. I didn't diss anyone who didn't deserve it, yeah so I like to break balls of those who pretend to be someone they're not. And don't worry, I won't post anymore in this tech forum, it's pointless, la 7ayata li man tounadi.

#18 October 31 2004

Ragnar78

still waiting for the answer....

Of course without the use of API's...

#19 November 6 2004

Sadus

aywa microsoft wo ossas, khaliiiik  ;)

#20 November 6 2004

samer
Admin

luk 3amnotlob menak linux tutos !

#21 November 7 2004

Charly

inno halla2 microsoft sar lal kabb? w linux ilal abad ya3neh? leh hal 3a2liyyeh?

#22 November 12 2004

Sadus

i didn't say anything about "microsoft sar lal kabb", i just wonder where you guys get your assumptions from  :lol:

Samer, i'm not gonna wrote a big tutorial for some hacker come and delete it.

http://www.google.com/linux has everything there is to know

#23 November 12 2004

samer
Admin

Samer, i'm not gonna wrote a big tutorial for some hacker come and delete it.

my mistake.

getting admin privileges through a very known phpBB flaw isn't really hard. so I won't call it "hacking" :?

bleh.

#24 November 13 2004

Sadus

and did the phpbb guys fix it? or did you even bother to trace the code? (or ask someone to do that?)

i doubt that a simple phpbb flaw could have gained the cracker access to the entire lebanesebands.com website and to your website.

#25 November 13 2004

samer
Admin

and did the phpbb guys fix it? or did you even bother to trace the code? (or ask someone to do that?)

yes.

i doubt that a simple phpbb flaw could have gained the cracker access to the entire lebanesebands.com website and to your website.

they got root access for lebbands.

Board footer