LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 22 2005

samer
Admin

[debate] RIAA, crap?

What do you think of all this RIAA mess ? every x amount of time, they take several persons (selected randomly, even 14 year olds) to court accusing them of illegal sharing of files over the net (on Peer2Peer networks)

please only reply with valuable sentances, and provide examples and proof

*opens the debate*

#2 January 22 2005

Charly

Re: [debate] RIAA, crap?

well ok..p2p networks such as kazaa and imesh are "illegaly" sharing files. That thing might be true, in some way, but what mistake have the 14 year old kids done to deserve the court at such age? is it because they were downloading mp3s from kazaa?
the RIAA musnt accuse those innocent kids if they fell into the trap of p2p sharing..hay iza fina nsammiya trap.. they must do similar to what they did with napster.
as lars ulrich says "sharing is only fun when it's not ur stuff"

thats my opinion... what about urs?

#3 January 22 2005

samer
Admin

they should awaken them, not through tough penalities ! but through propaganda, to show them what happens to the artist each time they download an MP3 ..  etc.

#4 January 22 2005

waleed

hihihi i'll just keep my mouth shut on this one.

#5 January 23 2005

karim soubra

the sharring software themselves are not illegal they are free to download on the other hand the act of downloading ripped or copies without the author permesion is illegal so it is the user responsability to know what to download and if accident should happen the user has to delete them from his hardware
as for the question is it morally accepeted to download copyrighted stuff well this all depends on the user morality

#6 January 23 2005

samer
Admin

and you think a 14 year old is thinking about all this copyright infringement thing ? so I think that propaganda could do the trick.

As you can see I'm focusing on those poor teens that don't know what the heck they are doing.

#7 January 23 2005

Charly

the sharring software themselves are not illegal they are free to download on the other hand the act of downloading ripped or copies without the author permesion is illegal so it is the user responsability to know what to download and if accident should happen the user has to delete them from his hardware
as for the question is it morally accepeted to download copyrighted stuff well this all depends on the user morality

if it's legal to download the software, but illegal to share the files, then downloading the software doesnt make any sense...

#8 January 24 2005

karim soubra

who said it should make sense

#9 January 24 2005

Charly

i wasnt arguing about what u said, i was just completing it...anyways, back to the topic, do u think we have something similar to RIAA in lebanon? coz i dont think we even have internet law or whatever in leb...

#10 January 24 2005

samer
Admin

of course not ! no law, though you should be careful, you never know when they'll start ..

#11 January 24 2005

Charly

okay when they start, we'll take our precautions, but i dont think it'll be happening soon.... the leb gov. is busy with other stuff..... anyways, abt this RIAA... any1 knows y they shut down napster and not other p2p networks? coz napster was th BEST, and i mean the BEST for downloading music.... i used to find stuff while searching, stuff that i've never dreamt finding

#12 January 25 2005

samer
Admin

and now, they are putting crap files in p2p networks.

#13 January 25 2005

karim soubra

just what i had in mind they couldn't stop kazaa so they overloaded it with crap

#14 January 25 2005

samer
Admin

exactly, and apparently, their plan worked ... most of the users don't use Kazaa anymore because of all of these garbage files.

#15 January 25 2005

waleed

i used to use this KazaaLite software, i think i got it from some yahoo group, search for it, it used to be ad free, and all free downloads.

#16 January 26 2005

Charly

exactly, i also use Klitekpp, or kazaalite...ad free, and has lots of options that normal kazaa doesnt have

#17 January 26 2005

mezin

*ehm* I think the p2p servers have done a great deed in favor of the artists, for many their favorite bands aren't allowed in lebanon, this is pure violation of freedom of choice, if they're not hurting anyone why stop the albums ?

so how does this help, many people actually prefer to listen to a sample song before buying the album. that's what it helps .. and for those who download the whole album, well since they like the band so much they would in fact get more sales on tickets

some bands might've remained uknown if it weren't for napster and kazaa

well who's losing here ? the production company. and they should , they are monopolising the market and forcing us to listen to a certain style and disregarding the other, they ripp off artists , take most of the sales money and actually deserve none of it

so in short more artists should encourage p2p in order to defeat the BIG system

Board footer