LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 26 2023

Guitaret

PC builder for software development

Hello,

I want to build a PC for software development but most stuff I found online are for gaming.
Is there any online site that can help me build a PC, or perhaps you can share your build (budget 1000$)

Thank you

#2 January 27 2023

DNA

Re: PC builder for software development

It heavily depends on what are you developing, can range from only needing a good ssd to lots of ram and cpu threads.

#3 January 27 2023

Guitaret

Let me add more specs:
Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7 (mid-high range)
512 SSD or NVME
32GB ram

#4 January 30 2023

nuclearcat

Depends what kind of software development you do.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (find small preassembled water cooling system for it, dont go for noname-cheapo, if you dont want to ruin build or have hassle during install). There is newer generation Zen, check on cpubenchmark ratings, 7950X, it is a bit faster, but much hotter). For me really edge fast and still acceptable price - critical, cause i do massive Linux software builds that might eat on peak up to 25G ram and last for 8-10 hours on average PC (on my PC it is 3-4 hours).
Intel suck big time, with all these meltdown patches it takes big performance hit, and they didnt figure out how to patch it properly without losing performance.

Motherboard? X570 AORUS ELITE, doesn't really matter. Just check if someone had success running top CPUs on motherboard and it is compatible.

Any compatible fastest (within standard freq) RAM 64GB, for some jobs 32GB will do too.

Reliable and fast NVMe, lately i am happy with Samsung ones. Surprisingly old brands, like Kingston - gave me headache, this is worst case, and ADATA for example just a bit slower than others. Dont keep it near full, it is very bad for wearout leveling, buy HDD to store long term stuff that dont require fast access times.

Big case/enclosure with good cooling and dust filtering kind of important in Lebanon, water cooling radiator should have place to fit and it should not be too tight with motherboard in that place.

#5 January 30 2023

Guitaret

Thank you @nuclearcat, this was what I was looking to learn in a nutshell

#6 February 3 2023

xazbrat

If you have an idea of which direction you are heading, check out a site like PCPartPicker or PCBuilder for more ideas.  These prices are for the US, but will at least check for compatible components so you don't run into problems later. Based on your budget though, I don't think a 5950 will work (~$500 now)--maybe opt for the 5900 which can be found for less.  Also, you need to take into account a gpu since you won't have integrated graphics--the really cheap inexpensive ones will still run you $200 or more.

Anyway, good luck.  I am looking to build a PC soon.  I am just trying to source some big things first like  the monitor before I get everything and put it together.

Board footer