LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 24 2022

Guitaret

Europe visa question

Hey guys,

I recently received a job offer to Europe with a visa (Type D), I am not sure exactly what that means but what I need to know is the below:
- Will I be eligible to apply for a blue card once I am there?
(Because I am a bit confused as I read online: "Category D are issued for stays that exceed a three month period in the country and they are not to be confused with permanent residence permits")
- Am I bound to work for the same company? Can't I apply to another company in the same country?
- What details do I need to know from my employer regarding work & visa?

Thanks a bunch

Last edited by Guitaret (March 24 2022)

#2 March 24 2022

Adnan

Re: Europe visa question

I can speak for the case of Germany.

Q: - Will I be eligible to apply for a blue card once I am there?
A: It depends on the country and on the salary they are offering you. You can read about the EU blue card rules and salary threshold online. You should also ask the company directly. An important criteria is that you have a masters degree from a recognized university. If you don't have a masters degree, then you are only eligible for a regular work visa.

Q: - Am I bound to work for the same company? Can't I apply to another company in the same country?
A: Not sure about regular visas, but for blue card holders you can change jobs but have to inform an immigration office first.
After having stayed in Germany for 18 months, you don't have to inform anyone anymore and you can even move to another country of the EU (except some EU member states don't allow you to work with a EU blue card).

Q: - What details do I need to know from my employer regarding work & visa?
A: if they help with accommodation, if they offer any sign-on bonuses (I spent my whole bonus and possibly more to buy furniture for my apartment so be prepared), they should help you with getting the EU blue card, etc.

Last edited by Adnan (March 24 2022)

#3 March 25 2022

Guitaret

Thank you so much Adnan, I still have the following concerns:
- can I apply to resident permit once I am in Belgium?
- what is the draw back if I don't qualify for blue card?
- for the sake of applying to Belgium nationality: is it true that I can still count the five years of required living time even if I get a job in another EU county?

#4 March 25 2022

ironman

Guitaret wrote:

Thank you so much Adnan, I still have the following concerns:
- can I apply to resident permit once I am in Belgium?
- what is the draw back if I don't qualify for blue card?
- for the sake of applying to Belgium nationality: is it true that I can still count the five years of required living time even if I get a job in another EU county?

Q1: Yes you can apply for a residence permit
Q2: You can't change jobs unless the new employer goes through the whole process for you (he has to repeat the same procedure your old employer did)
Q3: 5 years of tax paying (so 5 years from when you start working)

Good luck :)

#5 March 26 2022

Guitaret

Thanks a bunch man.

ironman wrote:

Q3: 5 years of tax paying (so 5 years from when you start working)

Good luck :)

This is awesome and almost feels too good to be true, where can I read more about this?

#6 March 26 2022

Tech Guru

Congratulation !

On the sidenote, I am interested to know how did you find the job in the EU ? You applied through LinkedIn for example or connections? I suppose you are here in Lebanon applying for abroad jobs.

#7 March 26 2022

Guitaret

Tech Guru wrote:

On the sidenote, I am interested to know how did you find the job in the EU ? You applied through LinkedIn for example or connections? I suppose you are here in Lebanon applying for abroad jobs.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and the interviews/screening went well.
I did set "open to work" on LinkedIn, and this is an important flag for recruiters.

Board footer