LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 27 2021

TrollFatGuy

UPS Upgrade

Hello guys,

About 4 years ago, I bought the UPS in this this link: http://powerquality.eaton.com/5e1500ius … 6CA087A266

I power my PC, screen and router from it, and when the batteries are new (I changed batteries once around the 2 years mark), it lasts about 2 hours while not gaming, and about 6 if the computer is off and only the router is sipping. It takes 2x9A 12V batteries

I want to upgrade this using the battery from this link: https://macrotronics.net/product_info.p … ee-p-17860

I have a few questions:
1. Theoretically, if the fan stays on and the UPS internals do not overheat, can I just extend the the time I have using the 100A battery and extending the wires to that external battery?
2. I am aware recharge time will increase dramatically; how much do think it will need to recharge, knowing that prolonging battery health means keeping it at around 80% and charging regularly? Is there a way to charge it without connecting it to the UPS, so I just plug it in when I need it?

To note: I will be buying two 9A replacement batteries tomorrow; I do not need this battery all the time, though there are times where I need to work through the 4 hour power cuts the "moteur l 7ay" is gracing us with on a daily basis. It's worth mentioning the pice of crap has had a track record of just turning the generator off for no apparent reason, or keeping it off for more than 4 hours, which means I may end up using it more than I expect.

Any help and tips on this would be appreciated.
(I also thought about solar alternatives, but its quite costly, my budget sits at around 300 USD; 25x2 for the 9A batteries, and whatever is left for a bigger high quality battery, and perhaps a charging tool)

#2 June 28 2021

LifeEngineer

Re: UPS Upgrade

TrollFatGuy wrote:

it lasts about 2 hours while not gaming, and about 6 if the computer is off and only the router is sipping

Wait what!? 2 hours? I have a similar PCE UPS of same ratings, and when the batteries are new, it might handle my PC and screen and router for like maybe 10 to 15min max!
Are you sure it's a PC not an old "Zazoo" portable 1" handheld gaming device that you have?

#3 June 28 2021

bobo619

I have an 1600w Online APC ups with 4x9ah batteries and the maximum time it can cover is around 15 minutes if loaded at 50% capacity and 95 minutes on 10% load(idle pc+monitor). There is no way a 900w ups can carry you for 2 hours under idle conditions unless your setup is consuming 10w or less.

Last edited by bobo619 (June 28 2021)

#4 June 29 2021

HzSamer

Just don't buy and waste your money on such batteries.
I will get back to you and share some solutions here as your budget is good for a better UPS than the one you are using.

#5 June 30 2021

elserge82

HzSamer wrote:

Just don't buy and waste your money on such batteries.
I will get back to you and share some solutions here as your budget is good for a better UPS than the one you are using.

That would be a good topic for the time being . Not 2 mention solar panel solutions.

Board footer