LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 4 2021

InVader

Fiber modem in bridge mode

Hello everyone,

I am trying to setup the GPON fiber modem/router Nokia G-W120-F in bridge mode without any success (it works fine in router mode). An extensive internet search for the Nokia G-Wxxx-x modem series and PPPoE fiber connections shows few successes and a lot of failures. Successful procedures weren't homogeneous, and below are some of the contradictory notes regarding the successes (considering that different ISPs and different users might have slightly different setups):

- Only LAN port 1 can be used for bridging. That port must be switched to bridged mode
- Only LAN port 4 can be used for bridging. That port must be switched to bridged mode
- Any LAN port can be used for bridging. That port must be switched to bridged mode
- ISP/DSP needs to enable the bridging mode on a specific LAN port (OLT programming)
- There is no need for ISP/DSP to enable the bridging mode (OLT programming)
- Router should make PPPoE connection using the same vlan initially specified in the Nokia PPPoE connection
- Router should make PPPoE connection without vlan
- Router should make PPPoE connection without vlan, but with some router IPTV vlan settings
- The PPPoE WAN connection the modem must be deleted
- The PPPoE WAN connection in the modem must be changed to IPoE

The logical way should have been:
- Delete the PPPoE connection on the modem
- Put one of the modem LAN ports in bridge mode
- Let the router establish the PPPoE connection using the same vlan that was specified in the modem's PPPoE connection

I have tried many different combinations without any success. The router, while attempting the PPPoE connection, doesn't receive any single byte back from the router.
The bridged LAN port LED on the modem stays always off, as if the port was dead.

Can anybody shed some light here?

#2 April 9 2021

DjSam

Re: Fiber modem in bridge mode

You should ask your ISP to enable bridge mode
from my experience no need to set vlan on the router
but my modem is a different brand
they haven't turned on bridge mode on the nokia modem yet for me
will update you when they do
are you trying to get ipv6 to work?
Ogero changes your prefix every 12 hours; complicates your config and disables internet

#3 April 10 2021

InVader

The ISP, at least as of now, hasn't got to the point of acknowledging the possibility of enabling bridge mode from their side (through OLT programming). It will happen eventually. Did your ISP accept to do it?

I suppose (I am not sure, but I have reasons to believe so) that turning bridge mode on their end effectively channels the internet vlan to one specific port as untagged data and hence you don't need to setup vlan parameters in the router's PPPoE connection. That would be a shortcoming, as data on other vlans (IPTV, SIP, etc...) won't go through that port anymore. Once again, i stress that this is speculation as of now.

You said your modem is a different brand than mine (I have Nokia), but then you mention your nokia modem. You got me confused here.

I don't need ipv6, so i didn't check the issue. Are you getting internet cutoffs until the modem (router mode) reestablishes the connection? ipv4 disconnections occur with some ISP's abroad (i think it was every 24 hours).

Please update on any developments.

#4 May 18 2021

Hani

Hello,

Maybe the ISP (Ogero) has a MAC filter on the PPPoE requests. I currently have fiber with Ogero here at home and I have a Huawei GPON modem/router. I will try to configure it in a bidge more and use the 2nd router (I have a Linksys) and share you the information once I am able to make it work.

I have noticed that there are settings on the Huawei port that you can configure for the ports: L2 or L3 port. My understanding is that when in bridge mode on the Huawei, you have to configure a L2 port to connect the Linksys to it and it will be the Linksys that does the PPPoE connection. VLAN is also important. On my side, it is VLAN 101 so the Linksys must support VLAN tagging on the WAN.

Cheers

Board footer