LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 20 2021

boblax

universities in lebanon

What do you think about universities in lebanon?

what is the job employability if you graduate from usj?

what about aub?

how is lebanese university dealing with students especially students with special needs is the education system as attractive as in aub where you have credits and you can take courses you like at the time you like?

#2 January 20 2021

RandomMemory

Re: universities in lebanon

Depends on what you wanna study. I can give you an advice for computer science. Pick the cheapest university and get your degree. Work on your skills and improve yourself, the internet has all the resources you can ever hope for. Degrees are required to get a job but a showcase of open source contributions or projects showcasing your skills will look better than any degree from AUB for example accompanied with no real experience.

Last edited by RandomMemory (January 20 2021)

#3 January 21 2021

Salloum

In my opinion, universities in Lebanon are overrated and overpriced. If you have an opportunity to continue your education abroad, take it by all means

#4 January 21 2021

Adnan

RandomMemory wrote:

Depends on what you wanna study. I can give you an advice for computer science. Pick the cheapest university and get your degree. Work on your skills and improve yourself, the internet has all the resources you can ever hope for. Degrees are required to get a job but a showcase of open source contributions or projects showcasing your skills will look better than any degree from AUB for example accompanied with no real experience.

Studying at a reputable university is good for the connections you can make, but otherwise if you're not interested in that aspect I agree.

#5 January 21 2021

user

Universities everywhere in the world are overrated and overpriced. They spend a ridiculous amount of money on fountains and gardens and they pay little attention to the actual student. I second RandomMemory's opinion about picking the cheapest. Make sure that your university is accepted in degree evaluations to be able to immigrate (if it is fairly known you are fine, but if it is an unknown university that may disappear the same way it appeared, baleha)

I graduated from LAU, I had 0 edge in immigration(my degree was recognized as a bachelor, same as the degree of my friends from the Lebanese university) nobody has heard of my university abroad, no one gave a shit. If I had studied any medical related field I would have been recognized to immigrate same as anyone else but not recognized to work and would have had to do the same exams all over again that everyone else does.

Just save your money.

#6 January 22 2021

sero

I don't fully agree with the posts above.

I have 10+ years of experience in software engineering and currently working for a multi national company in Beirut.

I do a lot of interviews as we are always in need for software engineers. I interviewed 100s of people throughout the years and i can tell you, university does matter.
On a technical level maybe they're more or less the same. However in soft skills (like communication), maturity, diversity and quality of projects there is a difference.
I found that people who graduated from AUB, LAU, and USJ more often have these skill set than the rest of the universities. 
People from these universities more often impress us during interviews than people from other universities.

My point is, if you can go to a top rated university, then by all means do so, you'll gain more than just technical knowledge.
If not, its not the end of the world.
In both cases you will need to work on your self (technical and soft skills)

#7 January 22 2021

Beta0

sero wrote:

I do a lot of interviews as we are always in need for software engineers. I interviewed 100s of people throughout the years and i can tell you, university does matter.
On a technical level maybe they're more or less the same.

Not sure about corporate fortune 500 outdated companies, It's been quite the opposite for me, graduates tend to be more outdated, math obsessed, and no experience with software work flow including programming. Experience is needed for "project quality" especially agile flow.

The ability to do individual learning and researching skills is incredibly underrated among the Lebanese. I'd rather study in a cheap college in the states as college/universities differ greatly around the world, especially in subjects outside "computer theory" and riddles.

A college degree is a proof of effort, and writing good thesis / research papers in software field only, exclusive to software that is. A degree is the last thing to consider in software, especially if you're not able to afford it (loan or parents funding  is not "affordable")

Last edited by Beta0 (January 22 2021)

Board footer