LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 16 2020

Toufic

Utilizing this community's knowledge

Out of utter brainstorming with a friend, how come isn't there a lebgeek page on at least 1 social media platform and which people can be referred to for information relating to technology, IT, counseling/solutions, computers, systems etc.  (although if you think lebanon is a lost cause and/or this is a bad idea, can't blame you).

But i'll just going to give you an example, over the past years, many sub communities popped up all over Lebanon with initiatives or businesses. and sometimes a simple referral makes a difference if you know what's the best piece of hardware or software one can use to kick and actually help things locally.

Cheers! 

"We strive to be a friendly community where members post quality, thoughtful content that is useful and adds value to other people's lives."

#2 December 16 2020

nuclearcat

Re: Utilizing this community's knowledge

On my experience and attempts to bring such communities together, what i saw:

1)Each such single community i saw have authoritarian leader behind, who prefers to keep his little kingdom, and does not seek to increase audience reach, and begins to freak out if some initiative calls into question his "alpha" status.
2)Unfortunately, most of them cannot be kept in elementary order without drowning in political fights and arguments, but this is not even a mistake of the leaders, but the fact that most of the participants perceive calls for order as an encroachment on their freedom and are unable to find a common language and they never seek compromises.
3)Often the most capable members of such communities are also the most selfish and emotional, and as result incapable to do teamwork.
4)People readily quarrel with each other over time, remember their grievances forever, and community simply falls apart because of this, because comparing with larger countries, in Lebanon we have very limited supply of new members.

Do you expect any significant platform with such issues in society? Someone should solve them first.
No community will exist if members can't get along with each other and if there is no democracy behind.

Last edited by nuclearcat (December 17 2020)

#3 December 17 2020

Guitaret

Here's my sentiment on having a Lebgeeks Facebook group (for instance):

Pros:
- Community size will grow exponentially faster.
- Members' engagement will grow exponentially faster since (let's be honest) the average person checks his social media accounts more frequently than forums.
- Lebgeeks will grow more as a community because usernames will become faces and profiles in which I can relate and maybe even befriend

Cons:
- Not a big fan of switching my username to an actual living profile especially when addressing controversial issues, much more so if the Group privacy is set to public and all my friends and family are able to see what I have to say (I am not a radical person though)
- Moderating the quality of the content will be exponentially more difficult because the point is to set the Facebook group privacy to Public (instead of private) so we can have more people on-board. God knows how hard the moderators worked here, don't think they can easily scale their efforts to accommodate a much bigger and ever-growing audience.

Regarding @nuclearcat depiction of why the founder(s) of this community are unwilling to make drastic improvements, perhaps one reason (I assume) is that they have sacrificed so much of their time to engineer this stable platform and they are not getting paid to keep taking the same challenge.

Last edited by Guitaret (December 17 2020)

#4 December 17 2020

nuclearcat

My opinion is not about lebgeeks, it is actually one of best successes i ever seen, but even here some points are present.
There was many attempts to create such communities and all of them somehow failed, as community at some point becoming stagnant.

#5 December 18 2020

Toufic

Not that i disagree with the above mentioned points but i believe that the knowledge that exists within the members of this community can play a major role in the future of our homeland, in one way or the other.

And although i see how this can be idealistic and borderline naive, but some initiatives i have came across would highly benefit from the information that can be dissipated but more so, from the long term view and perception of things that many here are quiet familiar with.

All and all, i value this community and its ability to expand still all while maintaining it's essence. However i believe there is a role/duty to provide more of what's shared here to those who know not about this space given what is held in terms of understanding of the tech world and information systems of the future, two essential elements to modern day evolution of societies

Board footer