LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 4 2020

samer
Admin

Are you OK? - Port of Beirut Explosions

I hope every one of you, your families and friends are fine.
Take care and stay strong. Your loved ones need you in these exceptionally hard moments.

If anyone is need of anything: shelter, food, finding a missing person, feel free to use this topic to draw attention to it.

#2 August 5 2020

samer
Admin

Re: Are you OK? - Port of Beirut Explosions

Here is a map with available beds being offered to anyone who was displaced.

#3 August 5 2020

NuclearVision

hope everyone is ok, this is true disaster.

#4 August 5 2020

VincentKeyboard

Too much monetary damage here. All the windows completely broke. My laptop flew from the window. desktop screen and keyboard died. Main door broke off. Luckily my mom and I were not hurt. A few of our neighbors are in the hospital. The guy next door's car is smashed. A concrete slab fell on it. The local internet cable guy's office completely collapsed. the ceiling fell over his office. Fortunately he was home and not at the office when it happened.
My employer is going to let me use his laptop at the office from now on so I won't lose my job. Again, luckily, my files are all on onedrive

Last edited by VincentKeyboard (August 5 2020)

#5 August 5 2020

TheIlluminative

VincentKeyboard wrote:

Too much monetary damage here. All the windows completely broke. My laptop flew from the window. desktop screen and keyboard died. Main door broke off. Luckily my mom and I were not hurt. A few of our neighbors are in the hospital. The guy next door's car is smashed. A concrete slab fell on it. The local internet cable guy's office completely collapsed. the ceiling fell over his office. Fortunately he was home and not at the office when it happened.
My employer is going to let me use his laptop at the office from now on so I won't lose my job. Again, luckily, my files are all on onedrive

Wow good you are OK. Is someone going to pay money for people? I mean, to fix the houses, cars, etc..?

#6 August 5 2020

VincentKeyboard

Not as far as I know.

#7 August 5 2020

Hybrid

TheIlluminative wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:

Wow good you are OK. Is someone going to pay money for people? I mean, to fix the houses, cars, etc..?

I highly doubt that, and in case someone donates, the money will be stolen before it reaches the affected houses/people

VincentKeyboard, which area/city are you in ?

#8 August 5 2020

VincentKeyboard

Below Geitawi near rmeil pharmacy.

#9 August 6 2020

ap4ss3rby

I am fine physically, but psychologically I'm not sure. The experience is just surreal to say the least. I felt earthquake, I heard earthquake, but the news was an explosion. Its insane, the entire thing feels surreal. I was trying to get back to my normal routine after Eid Al-Adha. Beirut was fine save for the fire at the port that preceded the explosion. It just makes no sense whatsoever. What is worse is my mother's and sister's reaction to the matter. They are frightened as well as confused. Just to think that this could have happened at any point during the last 6 years alone feels surreal.

Last edited by ap4ss3rby (August 6 2020)

#10 August 6 2020

dsoftware.king

Safe, is more appropriate. We all shouldn’t be ok with what happened.

It’s about time we stand up, not for our ta2ifi but for our country and our children

#11 August 6 2020

infiniteloop

dsoftware.king wrote:

It’s about time we stand up, not for our ta2ifi but for our country and our children

Yes they not only stole everything we had but they even kill us

#12 August 6 2020

NuclearVision

if this doesn't lead to change, I don't know what will, I am desperate.

#13 August 6 2020

potato

Government and the one taking over parliament and his gang for years should resign. If this doesnt happen im afraid nothing will change ?

#14 August 6 2020

dsoftware.king

potato wrote:

Government and the one taking over parliament and his gang for years should resign. If this doesnt happen im afraid nothing will change ?

Government?! What government. Excuse me but this is shallow, they are responsible for our sufferings. Those who existed in power from 1975 till today

#15 August 6 2020

vengeance666

Physically ok? Yea

#16 August 7 2020

Tech Guru

I live in Krayteem area , a lot of aluminium and glass damage.
Seeking a humanitarian missions / NGOs to help me out to fix those damages. The big blast created a lot of pressure in the house since I live on the 7th floor directly on the highway ,  kind of openly exposed. Thanks God no injuries , all materialistic damages can be fixed. Today I finished cleaning all the scattered glass. Hope all are safe. My wife is pregnant in our first child , she is still psychologically shocked. However ,  day by day she is recovering. I checked out the baby ,  no abortion.

Last edited by Tech Guru (August 7 2020)

#17 August 8 2020

TheIlluminative

Tech Guru wrote:

Seeking a humanitarian missions / NGOs to help me out to fix those damages. The big blast created a lot of pressure in the house since I live on the 7th floor directly on the highway ,  kind of openly exposed. Thanks God no injuries , all materialistic damages can be fixed. Today I finished cleaning all the scattered glass. Hope all are safe. My wife is pregnant in our first child , she is still psychologically shocked. However ,  day by day she is recovering. I checked out the baby ,  no abortion.

May god protect them both!

#18 August 8 2020

ivy

Tech Guru wrote:

Hamdella aal saleme

Last edited by ivy (August 8 2020)

#19 August 11 2020

rolf

I am still here. It was pure luck. Which one of us does not ever drive on that bridge along the port? Moreover I was planning to go to the marina facing the port a bit later that day. I could have been hit by a rock or a piece of metal and die.

What happened is deeply unsettling and saddening.

I am not in need of food at the moment. I am in need of change and better living environment.

Thank you for your concern, yes please let's help each other especially now.

dsoftware.king wrote:

I like how you put it.

Let me add, forget about the country, let's stand up for a better life for ourselves.

Last edited by rolf (August 11 2020)

#20 August 11 2020

scorz

I live in Ein-El-Remeneh/Furn El Chebbak area which is about 3.5km away and there's some destruction at my house /family business stores as well (broken glasses/doors)

Off-Topic: I'm not sure if such help is needed right now, but I'd like to volunteer/contribute some of my time for any NGOs that need software developers to develop whatever's needed for this crisis. -I have +10 years of experience + some management experience (remote team leader)-  If anyone can get me in contact/knows anything please let me know.

#21 August 11 2020

HzSamer

Hello everyone
My friend is looking for some help as he badly injured with his wife as he was living near the port.
So, I don't know if you can help with that.
Thank you in advance.

3QTfWXeH.png

#22 August 11 2020

samer
Admin

Here's a list of crisis shelters: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi … 21798&z=10

HzSamer wrote:

Hello everyone
My friend is looking for some help as he badly injured with his wife as he was living near the port.
So, I don't know if you can help with that.
Thank you in advance.

Board footer