LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 20 2020

Scode99

Business Ideas After/During Quarantine

Hey guys,
The quarantine has really changed our daily lifestyle and I doubt after the virus we will be returning to our normal lives.Everything will change and life will become based more on technology. So I wanted to create this post to ask you guys how can anyone benefit from the upcoming change and start an online business like ecom, dropshipping, a local online delivery startup, or maybe trading( i know this was a thing way before corona, but a passive income maybe?)
Like to hear your ideas.

#2 April 20 2020

VincentKeyboard

Re: Business Ideas After/During Quarantine

I was thinking of something like business consultancy or software QA, both of which I have well over a decade of experience.
My salary's been cut from 1.5 million LL to 750K LL and my employer says he is very unlikely to increase it back before next year even if the corona and dollar price increase damage end today. So I will need to make up for the loss to cover rent (800K a month).
I'm open to ideas as well for a secondary/afterwork job or project.

To be honest, I would go for a food related project as the safest bet.
A delivery service like zozo or toters requires a lot of PR.
Most online services are going to be either a failure from the beginning or will need a much more stable economy. As I see it, the Lebanese workforce congested a lot around June 2018 and this gradually ruined the economy.
I'd go for a snack restaurant or specialty food store.

Last edited by VincentKeyboard (April 20 2020)

#3 April 20 2020

Johnaudi

Hello, what are your strengths in regards to programming, art, or even socializing?

#4 April 20 2020

NuclearVision

Food stuff, combined with online platform, thats whats working nowadays

#5 April 21 2020

rolf

Anything that helps people stay sane.

Taking care of pets.

Immigration advice + loans for those who cannot pay the formalities / visas.

Fixing electronics.

Last edited by rolf (April 21 2020)

#6 April 21 2020

Johnaudi

Online jobs should do the trick, try freelancer!

Was going to suggest fiverr as I've seen people use it, but then noticed that it's banned in Lebanon. (Israeli owner I think)

Last edited by Johnaudi (April 21 2020)

#7 April 21 2020

NuclearVision

Johnaudi wrote:

Online jobs should do the trick, try freelancer!

Was going to suggest fiverr as I've seen people use it, but then noticed that it's banned in Lebanon. (Israeli owner I think)

What kind of jobs? no programming, website design please.

#8 April 21 2020

nuclearcat

I'm trying to design some useful (and realistic) electronics. Yet only simple idea i was able to come up and finished PCB design - make up converter from 1-2AA batteries to 3.3V (lithium battery voltage).
Stuck what next idea i must design, to send to manufacture prototypes.

#9 April 21 2020

VincentKeyboard

Open a specialty man-bun barber shop.

#10 April 21 2020

samer
Admin

I removed some posts, please don't suggest anything illegal in Lebanon. It could get you and him in legal trouble down the line…

#11 April 21 2020

NuclearVision

samer wrote:

I removed some posts, please don't suggest anything illegal in Lebanon. It could get you and him in legal trouble down the line…

I think they legalized it, just today, of course it is subject to certain regulations, but why not.

#12 April 22 2020

rolf

samer wrote:

Yesterday's news (literally):

Lebanon legalises medicinal cannabis farming for export

However the more I read about it the more it looks like it is geared towards being nothing more than a source of revenue for the government and may not be a good suggestion for us "commoners" after all but maybe worth consideration.

Last edited by rolf (April 22 2020)

#13 April 22 2020

samer
Admin

rolf wrote:
samer wrote:

Yesterday's news (literally):

Lebanon legalises medicinal cannabis farming for export

However the more I read about it the more it looks like it is geared towards being nothing more than a source of revenue for the government and may not be a good suggestion for us "commoners" after all but maybe worth consideration.

My bad, I was not up to speed!

#14 April 22 2020

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

Is it possible, do you think, to make some kind of device that allows people to communicate with others in their surroundings that have the same device (without needing internet or any kind of centralized network).

Maybe with a small small keyboard and LCD screen...

#15 April 22 2020

nuclearcat

rolf wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

Is it possible, do you think, to make some kind of device that allows people to communicate with others in their surroundings that have the same device (without needing internet or any kind of centralized network).

Maybe with a small small keyboard and LCD screen...

Such exist, amazing SnapOnAir: http://www.snaponair.com/

#16 April 22 2020

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

Such exist, amazing SnapOnAir: http://www.snaponair.com/

Nice! Thanks for the link.
So a P2P mesh network? Really nice.
I wonder if there is a such a device that you can plug into your mobile phone.

#17 April 22 2020

Johnaudi

samer wrote:

Although cultivation for medical use is now legalized, I highly doubt any person would be allowed to 'legally' grow it in their home or in the streets without some kind of supervision or license. I may be wrong though, please verify.

#18 April 28 2020

VincentKeyboard

So my office opens again on Monday. The dude I am working for likes me. He removed a few people who were earning a lot because we suffered large losses and my pay is going to be stuck at 800K for at least another year or two. It was something I had to agree to in order to keep my job. Also, this guy gave me a chance last year when no one else did and I do not wish to leave him.

However, my mother and I can't survive on 800K. We can't eat potato chips or bread because of diabetes and pills alone cost just under 50k a month. I also have to pay for electricity, moteur, two alfa recharge cards, gas, and other house expenses. Plus I need to have saved 500K by the end of the summer.

I've been thinking of just getting a second job, a nighttime shift somewhere. 200K extra a month till surely helps. I have the energy.
But this is where it gets bad. My employer frequents OLX and facebook a lot because he sometimes buys random antiques and occasionally considers hiring a secretary but never does. So I cannot let him know I need a second job. This may jeopardize my current one since I am one of the few he chose to keep.

Any ideas where I can discretely or secretly post other than OLX without drawing any attention? Any other tactics?

Last edited by VincentKeyboard (April 28 2020)

#19 April 28 2020

gamingindex

VincentKeyboard wrote:

So my office opens again on Monday. The dude I am working for likes me. He removed a few people who were earning a lot because we suffered large losses and my pay is going to be stuck at 800K for at least another year or two. It was something I had to agree to in order to keep my job. Also, this guy gave me a chance last year when no one else did and I do not wish to leave him.

However, my mother and I can't survive on 800K. We can't eat potato chips or bread because of diabetes and pills alone cost just under 50k a month. I also have to pay for electricity, moteur, two alfa recharge cards, gas, and other house expenses. Plus I need to have saved 500K by the end of the summer.

I've been thinking of just getting a second job, a nighttime shift somewhere. 200K extra a month till surely helps. I have the energy.
But this is where it gets bad. My employer frequents OLX and facebook a lot because he sometimes buys random antiques and occasionally considers hiring a secretary but never does. So I cannot let him know I need a second job. This may jeopardize my current one since I am one of the few he chose to keep.

Any ideas where I can discretely or secretly post other than OLX without drawing any attention? Any other tactics?

Off topic: you should consider a whole foods plant based diet for diabetes and your pocket.

#20 April 28 2020

TheIlluminative

Why not ask tell him that in person? Tell him the whole situation and he will understand. You know the key here is to be open, honest and hopefully it will work out!

#21 April 28 2020

VincentKeyboard

gamingindex wrote:

Off topic: you should consider a whole foods plant based diet for diabetes and your pocket.

Whole wheat, bran, etc.. are strictly prohibited by our doctor. It's basically the same amount of carbs as refined foods but with lower glycemic index. No fruit either or red meat.
We're only allowed green vegetables like lettuce and legumes, peanuts, and chicken. Even cooking oil and butter are a no-no.

@TheIlluminative, that is normally very true and my colleague tried today. His situation is much worse than mine. I am responsible for only one parent. He has two 16 year old twin kids who are likely to lose their highschool year, a wife, and a father to take care of. He told him he cannot afford it.
To be honest, I don't even blame him. I do his invoices, and pretty much any communication with clients goes through me. So I know if he is truthful or not.

#22 June 13 2020

Guitaret

VincentKeyboard wrote:

I was thinking of something like business consultancy or software QA, both of which I have well over a decade of experience.
My salary's been cut from 1.5 million LL to 750K LL and my employer says he is very unlikely to increase it back before next year even if the corona and dollar price increase damage end today. So I will need to make up for the loss to cover rent (800K a month).

I am sorry to hear that, 750K LL is an extremely difficult income to get by for 2 people with a place to live, you will need to start thinking outside the box because you are approaching the extreme poverty line real quick (no intention to sound negative). In case your job/skills/career can get you a job outside the country, don't think twice, you are not asking for a better quality of life, you are surviving a harsh reality. Even a job in the Gulf area with 500$ saved aside each month is a huge upgrade for you.

#23 June 13 2020

dsoftware.king

VincentKeyboard wrote:

To be honest, I would go for a food related project as the safest bet.
A delivery service like zozo or toters requires a lot of PR.
Most online services are going to be either a failure from the beginning or will need a much more stable economy. As I see it, the Lebanese workforce congested a lot around June 2018 and this gradually ruined the economy.
I'd go for a snack restaurant or specialty food store.

What is your current job? What skills do you have?

Someone on the forum might use your services.

#24 June 14 2020

VincentKeyboard

I worked for 10 years in inventory checks, warehouse management, and computer (and home appliances) showroom sales management in addition to coordination and meetings with suppliers. We also did specialized setups for Linux systems for startup companies, LED lighting systems, and refrigeration systems (for restaurants). Basically any decisions that were related to handling projects or changes to quantities had to be approved by me. I have good managerial skills.

Right now, I do procurement and tendering for an engineering company with 12 employees but business is next to nil. The other employees show up only an hour a day. The company owner lives in Jeita and only comes to the Beirut office once a week.
This month has been somewhat bad because at the last meeting, the company owner hinted that the 12 of us lack motivation because we are only still in the company for our heavily reduced salaries.
I submitted plans for improving the company status and even got a few project offers. The other employees my ideas and supported me but he ignored the ideas.
I've been applying to other jobs but I have not reached an interview so far.

Last edited by VincentKeyboard (June 14 2020)

#25 June 15 2020

mikasa

VincentKeyboard wrote:

I worked for 10 years in inventory checks, warehouse management, and computer (and home appliances) showroom sales management in addition to coordination and meetings with suppliers. We also did specialized setups for Linux systems for startup companies, LED lighting systems, and refrigeration systems (for restaurants). Basically any decisions that were related to handling projects or changes to quantities had to be approved by me. I have good managerial skills.

Right now, I do procurement and tendering for an engineering company with 12 employees but business is next to nil. The other employees show up only an hour a day. The company owner lives in Jeita and only comes to the Beirut office once a week.
This month has been somewhat bad because at the last meeting, the company owner hinted that the 12 of us lack motivation because we are only still in the company for our heavily reduced salaries.
I submitted plans for improving the company status and even got a few project offers. The other employees my ideas and supported me but he ignored the ideas.
I've been applying to other jobs but I have not reached an interview so far.

you're fluent in english right?

i think the most immediate way to make money with that skill is:
- join a couple of facebook groups that talk about adsense or outbrain or taboola (ad networks).
- then post something like this: im fluent in english but i never wrote an article before , so im willing to start writing original content for you for a minimal feel , and learn along the way.
- then plug your upwork acc if in a foreign group or 5amasat if in an arabic group, and offer the most competitive fee

it doesn't need to be 100% original content , just check google and write something similar .

Board footer