LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 4 2020

Tech Guru

Transfering Money from Outside to Lebanon

My friend in Doha needs to transfer to me  550 USD to settle an issue here to him since he can not come due the corona virus outbreak..

What is the best way he can send me the money & withdraw the whole amount without any capital control restrictions ?

Is WU still operating in Doha & Lebanon with in the Corona outbreak as a fast solution ? If yes , can I withdraw it in USD the whole amount if he sends it in USD.

If he sends them  to a USD bank account here can I go and withdraw the whole anount ?

Thank You

#2 April 4 2020

xazbrat

Re: Transfering Money from Outside to Lebanon

Tech Guru wrote:

My friend in Doha needs to transfer to me  550 USD to settle an issue here to him since he can not come due the corona virus outbreak..

What is the best way he can send me the money & withdraw the whole amount without any capital control restrictions ?

Is WU still operating in Doha & Lebanon with in the Corona outbreak as a fast solution ? If yes , can I withdraw it in USD the whole amount if he sends it in USD.

If he sends them  to a USD bank account here can I go and withdraw the whole anount ?

Thank You

Here is the tricky part---yes, you will be able to withdraw it, maybe not at once, but over the course of a month, you should be able to withdraw it from your bank.  As a bonus, you get a 'fresh' account which has less restrictions.  However, if you need the money quickly, I would suggest WU.  Your friend can probably use the app from Doha (wouldn't need to physically go) and WU branches here are ususally open usually from 10-2, but I would check with one that is near you and check their hours.

We shouldn't have to go through this crap for $500 though.

#3 April 4 2020

Tech Guru

xazbrat wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

Thank You

Here is the tricky part---yes, you will be able to withdraw it, maybe not at once, but over the course of a month, you should be able to withdraw it from your bank.  As a bonus, you get a 'fresh' account which has less restrictions.  However, if you need the money quickly, I would suggest WU.  Your friend can probably use the app from Doha (wouldn't need to physically go) and WU branches here are ususally open usually from 10-2, but I would check with one that is near you and check their hours.

We shouldn't have to go through this crap for $500 though.

Yes indeed that has been becoming very annoying. Thank you for the application idea. Tried to download on my phone through the Google Play Store they said "This item is not available in your country" , hopefully it can be downloaded in Qatar.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … roid.mtapp

#4 April 4 2020

m0ei

There's no capital control on "fresh" transferred money. You can cash out any amount if it's transferred from abroad.

For a transfer of $550, I'd go with western union.

#5 April 4 2020

Kareem

m0ei wrote:

There's no capital control on "fresh" transferred money. You can cash out any amount if it's transferred from abroad.

In case of Blom bank, fresh money withdrawal limit is 600 USD per day from ATM only using a Business Visa card ONLY.

#6 April 4 2020

xazbrat

Kareem wrote:
m0ei wrote:

In case of Blom bank, fresh money withdrawal limit is 600 USD per day from ATM only using a Business Visa card ONLY.

They have $$$'s in the atm's now?  If so, can you direct me to one that has actual dollars.  I have a visa card based on a fresh account, and while my limit is $300 per day,  I haven't found any ATM's with actual USD in them.

#7 April 4 2020

Johnaudi

For 550$ I suggest WU or Moneygram (although moneygram is offline at the moment). Anything more it'd be best for him to transfer as crypto and sell them back to USD with a 5-10% fee.

Edit: Called MG, they're open 2PM

Last edited by Johnaudi (April 4 2020)

#8 April 4 2020

TheIlluminative

Yes go for WU, the amount is not big and you can get it at any shop around you. However most of them are closing 2PM nowadays.

Board footer