LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 31 2020

RandomMemory

What happens if I get satellite internet in Lebanon?

I am on the verge of losing my remote job/sanity as well. I am paying 120$ a month for internet for a promised 16mbps, I am getting absolutely nothing right now. 2mbps on speedtest, They blocked discord which I use for communication, 1.1.1.1 and on top of that they blocked some VPNs and throttled traffic and made the internet disconnect if you hit above 3-4mbps speeds. Cannot make use of my double night speeds either. I have rotated 6 ISPs in the last 5 years all equally bad. I am seriously thinking of getting sat internet. 3G is so expensive for my needs so it's out of the question, i work in the video streaming industry and 3G bandwidth isn't gonna be enough for me. I'd appreciate any help on this topic. I know there is a pandemic and that speeds are degrading but this unacceptable.

Last edited by RandomMemory (March 31 2020)

#2 March 31 2020

Kareem

Re: What happens if I get satellite internet in Lebanon?

RandomMemory wrote:

I am on the verge of losing my remote job/sanity as well. I am paying 120$ a month for internet for a promised 16mbps, I am getting absolutely nothing right now. 2mbps on speedtest, They blocked discord which I use for communication, 1.1.1.1 and on top of that they blocked some VPNs and throttled traffic and made the internet disconnect if you hit above 3-4mbps speeds. Cannot make use of my double night speeds either. I have rotated 6 ISPs in the last 5 years all equally bad. I am seriously thinking of getting sat internet. 3G is so expensive for my needs so it's out of the question, i work in the video streaming industry and 3G bandwidth isn't gonna be enough for me. I'd appreciate any help on this topic. I know there is a pandemic and that speeds are degrading but this unacceptable.

Who's your ISP? Everything working fine on Ogero networks.

#3 March 31 2020

RandomMemory

some cable dude. Ogero says I can get 1mbps on my line lol. I had DSL on IDM, I was getting 0.8mbps with them

#4 March 31 2020

Kareem

RandomMemory wrote:

some cable dude. Ogero says I can get 1mbps on my line lol. I had DSL on IDM, I was getting 0.8mbps with them

Have you tried Terranet WDSL ?

#5 March 31 2020

RandomMemory

I read that someone in the other thread was having terrible speeds with them, around 1mbps in fog on a 12mbps account. Any Idea what makes them different than every other microwave provider?

#6 March 31 2020

Kareem

RandomMemory wrote:

I read that someone in the other thread was having terrible speeds with them, around 1mbps in fog on a 12mbps account. Any Idea what makes them different than every other microwave provider?

Well they are an ISP anyway and the if you're considering SAT, weather conditions will also affect your speed. Good news is that winter is almost over.

#7 March 31 2020

RandomMemory

Can someone know that I'm using sat or can I get in trouble if I'm the only one who knows that I'm using it. I am really sick of these local scam artists.

#8 March 31 2020

xazbrat

RandomMemory wrote:

Can someone know that I'm using sat or can I get in trouble if I'm the only one who knows that I'm using it. I am really sick of these local scam artists.

Don't know if they are enforcing it or not, but if you have more than one provider around see if one will let you have a test line for a few days to see if they are better than the scammer du jour.  If you thought LTE was going to be expensive, satellite moreso and you will have a lag from hell for discord and other messaging apps.

#9 March 31 2020

nuclearcat

1)Sat capacity is very expensive. It is somehow cheap on Ka-band, but you will be lucky if you find such sat covering Lebanon.
2)No modems in Lebanon, and they are unique for each operator. You need to import them. And they are illegal. Using satellite tx setup highly illegal also and TX dish has distinct visual features.
3)Most of modems need sat guy with experience how to do TX setup (cross-pol) and alignment in general, some are plug and play(for regular sat installer), but they are more expensive, still need experience in alignment like TV dish. And guy with TV dish will notice it's TX.
4)Who said they can't be shitty as well? You will know after you did 1,2,3 and most likely paid for yearly subscription.

You might try your luck with one way internet (RX), it is much less illegal (but still illegal), but again, something you can find in Lebanon (ka-band small dishes), that looks as usual satellite dish - wont have cheap internet for sure (due EIRP requirements and cost of such capacity on sat).

MUCH easier to do deal with some (old) guy with ogero line(who dont need internet) close to centrale or maybe vacated apartment owner, and install wireless link to his building (some mikrotiks), you will get much more luck. Or find decent "cable" guy in your area.

#10 March 31 2020

rolf

How is Discord blocked? I use it every day on either DSL or 4G.
Can you specify how much volume and speed you need (download and upload)?

Last edited by rolf (March 31 2020)

#11 March 31 2020

nuclearcat

It seems he have exceptionally shitty cable internet. I suggest to check whatismyip and share ip of such operator (hide last nibble, e.g. 1.2.3.XX, just in case).

Last edited by nuclearcat (March 31 2020)

#12 March 31 2020

TheIlluminative

RandomMemory wrote:

Get AlfaNet and recharge your sim card with $$ only. [You go to any shop and pay for 140,000 LBP for every $100] Recharge your account with $100 for 100G monthly and you will get around 30mbps as a speed. However you need to buy the router for $120 [You can use OLX for used ones].

It depends, some people or shops have really good deals $100 Alfa credit for 120,000 LBP, etc...so it really depends. I once found a guy selling $600 for 680,000 LBP.

Good luck!

#13 March 31 2020

nuclearcat

Another suggestion, try SSTP VPNs. It works over port 443 and its really hard for ISP to block it.

#14 March 31 2020

RandomMemory

nuclearcat wrote:

Another suggestion, try SSTP VPNs. It works over port 443 and its really hard for ISP to block it.

I Will try SSTP and post back here with the results tonight. I'll also just consider getting alfa internet like someone suggested, 280,000 LBP for 200 gigs doesn't seem bad. Kinda ridiculous that I'd need to spend close to 340k lbp a month to get decent internet but I'll bite the bullet.

#15 April 1 2020

jsaade

Also AlfaNet currently accepts new applications in only 2 shops (no deliveries). One in Bint Jbeil and one in Bir Al Abed.

#16 April 1 2020

RandomMemory

I just called today, They were over capacity due to covid immobilization. The internet is back to normal today as they ordered extra bandwidth from ogero.

#17 April 3 2020

beezer

You can use OpenVPN TCP protocol over port 443 or even 80 for VPN which is impossible to block.

As for satellite internet, I did it for several years, no one found out, then I left so I canceled the membership.

It's easy to setup, but you will have to import the LNB and the modem (carry it with you on a plane) . You will also need a satellite signal finder, any reputable satellite guy has one. Get a larger dish to make up for the distance (the satellite I used was meant for GCC/Cyprus).

It is stable (but you need to minimize any movement), it is reliable, even in bad weather. I used it back when 4mbps was considered crazy fast and used to pay around $200/mo. for unlimited data through credit card.

I don't remember the service provider unfortunately. Sorry can't be more help.

Board footer