LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 22 2020

Guitaret

How to help someone without legal papers

There is a guy who is born in Lebanon of Syrian parents. His parents recently died and is now homeless without legal papers (not even ID) and does not want to go back to Syria fearing to be forced to join the army. He struck me as a homeless broke man but he is smart and always having a smile on his face.

Can we help him through UN or some other NGO?
I know I cannot help him get a job since the economy is very bad now. Any advice is appreciated.

#2 February 23 2020

VincentKeyboard

Re: How to help someone without legal papers

The UN should be able to help him. Other NGOs are somewhat useless.

Off the record, I am glad to read you are trying to help him.

#3 February 23 2020

rolf

What are his needs? Can you ask him?

#4 February 24 2020

Guitaret

VincentKeyboard wrote:

The UN should be able to help him. Other NGOs are somewhat useless.

Off the record, I am glad to read you are trying to help him.

Thank you @Vincent but how can I contact UN?

rolf wrote:

What are his needs? Can you ask him?

The only thing that he has now is good health but he sleeps on the streets and sometimes in abandoned places (if not occupied by stoned/drunk teenagers). He told me that at times some restaurants give him leftovers, other times he remains without food for days.
I wish I can get him any place to stay or even a small monthly amount from UN (I heard they help like that)

#5 February 24 2020

Guitaret

One more thing @rolf, he said he didn't mind going back to Syria but he needs some legal assurance (from a lawyer or someone) that he will not be ceased by the authorities.

#6 February 24 2020

rolf

Okay... thanks!

I heard they have 3afou in Syria (sorry no Arabic keyboard), for people born in the early 80ies or before up to a particular year, I forget exactly which one.

Maybe we can collect cans for him (tuna, etc.). I worked with this organisation and they organise various events for distributing food (such as weekly "mouneh" packages in Verdun) or soup kitchens.

https://foodblessed.org/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FoodBlessed/events/

I guess it would also be nice if he can have a shower but I have no specific solution for this at the moment.

Like you said, the ideally someone would give him a job (do you know if he has any skills?).

Thanks again.

Last edited by rolf (February 24 2020)

Board footer