LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 31 2020

duke-of-bytes

Website protection issue

i did not know where to post this - please admins move it where you find it fit

i work pro-bono for a a community/NGO that takes care of the Lebanese in need in Congo
they have a website where people can sign up to be members of this community for various reason.
they add their email , receive link in their email and confirm it.
9GsqbCY.png

lately ive been having spammers trying to sign up with fake email and this causing the website to email them the confirm link nonstop even though that these emails are wrong , dont exist , etc

How can i solve it ? limit on the email sent ? i have no clue

the company who created the site doesnt exist anymore

#2 January 31 2020

TheIlluminative

Re: Website protection issue

Maybe you add "Captcha" to fight against these spambots?

https://www.wearediagram.com/blog/using … ur-website

#3 January 31 2020

Guitaret

If by spammers you mean spam-bots, you can use Google reCAPTCHA: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/v3.html

#4 January 31 2020

duke-of-bytes

yeah i was thinking about captcha but i have 0 clue how to add it to the website
the website is hosted on cpanel , i dont think it is a wordpress

Last edited by duke-of-bytes (January 31 2020)

#5 January 31 2020

Guitaret

reCAPTCHA:
1- creating account by entering the domain you are using and getting an ID in return,
2- Then put the Id in the div: <div class="g-recaptcha" data-sitekey="YOUR_KEY_HERE"></div>
3- Include a script reference:
<script src="https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js" async defer></script>
4- On submit, check the return of their public function, ex:

function checkRecaptcha(){
    response = grecaptcha.getResponse();

if (response.length === 0) {
    return false;
  } else {
        return true;
  }
}

If you have cpanel, it means you have an access to their code. I'll be glad to help you out more since this is volunteering work.

#6 January 31 2020

duke-of-bytes

Guitaret wrote:

reCAPTCHA:
1- creating account by entering the domain you are using and getting an ID in return,
2- Then put the Id in the div: <div class="g-recaptcha" data-sitekey="YOUR_KEY_HERE"></div>
3- Include a script reference:
<script src="https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js" async defer></script>
4- On submit, check the return of their public function, ex:

function checkRecaptcha(){
    response = grecaptcha.getResponse();

if (response.length === 0) {
    return false;
  } else {
        return true;
  }
}

If you have cpanel, it means you have an access to their code. I'll be glad to help you out more since this is volunteering work.

I pm-ed you

#7 January 31 2020

Hybrid

I agree with what was mentioned before, captcha/recaptcha is your best bet.

#8 January 31 2020

Guitaret

duke-of-bytes wrote:

I pm-ed you

I haven't received any.

#9 January 31 2020

duke-of-bytes

Guitaret wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

I pm-ed you

I haven't received any.

My browser was stuck..i resent it

#10 February 3 2020

duke-of-bytes

Guitaret helped me setup a captcha on both registration and login page (he did it ) - i will monitor and update the thread

Last edited by duke-of-bytes (February 3 2020)

#11 February 3 2020

Dan28

duke-of-bytes wrote:

Guitaret helped me setup a captcha on both registration and login page (he did it ) - i will monitor and update the thread

what about the forgot password page?

#12 February 3 2020

duke-of-bytes

Dan28 wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

what about the forgot password page?

Oh ! We missed this one ..good catch ..time to call guitaret again

#13 February 10 2020

duke-of-bytes

i was checking the website today and it is screwed
the display is all big and wrong - i am not sure if this is an update issue or what
what can i check ?!

d2V2kei.png

#14 February 10 2020

rolf

Can I make a suggestion regarding your website project in general?

#15 February 10 2020

duke-of-bytes

rolf wrote:

Can I make a suggestion regarding your website project in general?

Sure

#16 February 10 2020

duke-of-bytes

i believe it is a CSS issue ( website looks like it is not able to read it the css file )

#17 February 10 2020

duke-of-bytes

Here is the error I was seeing:

[10-Feb-2020 16:37:17 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function Illuminate\Support\mb_strimwidth() in /home/clcongo/public_html/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Support/Str.php on line 198

The error indicates the mbstring PHP extension was missing for PHP 5.6.(it was missing after latest cpanel update) I have installed that now which resolved the issue:

Verifying  : ea-php56-php-mbstring-5.6.40-11.11.5.cpanel.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                                           1/1

Installed:
  ea-php56-php-mbstring.x86_64 0:5.6.40-11.11.5.cpanel

Complete!

website works correctly now

#18 February 10 2020

rolf

duke-of-bytes wrote:

Sure

Okay!

It seems you are trying to develop or troubleshoot a website without development knowledge.
I would suggest that you look into hosted solutions online - maybe some site where you can create forums online without having to code stuff. Even as a developer, I would start by researching solutions which already exist and are user friendly and do not require coding and maintaining a hosting account.

The other alternative is of course the old way of hiring a developer and have them be responsible for your website. However this turns out to be the expensive option in most cases.

Last edited by rolf (February 10 2020)

#19 February 10 2020

duke-of-bytes

rolf wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

Sure

Okay!

It seems you are trying to develop or troubleshoot a website without development knowledge.
I would suggest that you look into hosted solutions online - maybe some site where you can create forums online without having to code stuff. Even as a developer, I would start by researching solutions which already exist and are user friendly and do not require coding and maintaining a hosting account.

The other alternative is of course the old way of hiring a developer and have them be responsible for your website. However this turns out to be the expensive option in most cases.

a freelancer would be best .. i will see if i can get the budget for it . there is little to no action and change on the website

#20 February 10 2020

rolf

Maybe I was a little too fast in giving my opinion, I assumed that you had weak coding skills but it seems not to be the case.
But in any case the trend is towards hosted solutions. I was a freelance web developer and some of my clients moved towards sites like squarespace, etc.

The reason is that
1. It is cheaper when you consider all the features it offers
2. It does not require a lump sum, but it is a subcription model
3. It is flexible and you can make changes as you go
4. There is a wide user base and support
5. Most of all, it does not  require coding skills and tie you to a developer

From my point of view even when someone asks me to start on some new project I start by researching these options (established cloud hosted platforms) because often the clients don't exactly know what they want (in my experience) so it is good to just use some service like that to build something quick and get their feedback without having to work for a few months and invest a few thousand dollars to find out that it is not what they want.

The other big reason is a win-win in which the client will not be tied to me, as opposed to being the developer who is the only one who knows how stuff works (what if I die??), and I do not have to worry and be responsible for bugs, security concerns, have the customer send me urgent mails on sunday because their site is broken, or have them call me after 7 years to add some feature and ask me to dive into pre-historic code to the site mobile friendly when this is the last thing that I want to be working on.

#21 February 10 2020

rolf

duke-of-bytes wrote:

a freelancer would be best .. i will see if i can get the budget for it . there is little to no action and change on the website

Of course... I gave you generic advice but in your case I would say, if it works and there is little change then this would be the most reasonable course of action.

However... PHP 5 is not developed anymore, everyone is supposed to move to PHP 7, PHP 5 is deemed to be a security risk now!

Last edited by rolf (February 10 2020)

#22 February 10 2020

duke-of-bytes

rolf wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

Of course... I gave you generic advice but in your case I would say, if it works and there is little change then this would be the most reasonable course of action.

However... PHP 5 is not developed anymore, everyone is supposed to move to PHP 7, PHP 5 is deemed to be a security risk now!

Yes i know , i want to update my enterprise website as well but i have no budget
For the lebanese community site, i hosted it on my vps for free as they were short on money ..but yes you are right..i should find a better solution

Board footer