LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#126 April 29 2020

Hamlock

Re: Paying with Lebanese cards online

Called Byblos Bank to ask about opening an LBP account for my Maker's Account card, they said they can do it but for some reason I'm not allowed to use it to buy things online? First time I've heard of that.
Also I hate how they unironically tell you to get dollars. lol

#127 May 1 2020

Hamlock

And now apparently I've found out that even if you have an LBP account, you still aren't allowed to buy anything online with LBP unless you pay the Western Union first? I can't believe we've been living like this for months.

#128 May 7 2020

Hamlock

Is anyone still able to buy online with LBP?

#129 May 7 2020

Tech Guru

Same here , anyone tried using his LBP Visa Card. For example purchasing some from Ali Express that still calculate the exchange rate at 1515. I have a Blom Debt Visa Card linked to my LBP salary.

#130 May 7 2020

Hamlock

This situation sucks, man. All I want is to buy something for $15 but I've been waiting for months and I can't do shit.

#131 May 7 2020

m0ei

I managed to fill my Amazon wallet with my dad's LBP  credit card and it worked fine last month.

His limit was around $800, it obviously varies between accounts.

#132 May 7 2020

AVOlio

m0ei wrote:

I managed to fill my Amazon wallet with my dad's LBP  credit card and it worked fine last month.

His limit was around $800, it obviously varies between accounts.

Amazon charged LBP or USD?

#133 May 7 2020

m0ei

They charged USD.

#134 May 7 2020

AVOlio

m0ei wrote:

They charged USD.

So the banks limit on USD charges on a LBP credit card was 800$?
While on my lbp debit card is 200$.

Well anyway, you can buy with LBP as well from Amazon, gift cards or items at 1590LBP

#135 May 7 2020

Dan28

AVOlio wrote:

Well anyway, you can buy with LBP as well from Amazon, gift cards or items at 1590LBP

does your card still has that option to choose currency? mine got set to usd with now way to change!

#136 May 7 2020

AVOlio

Yea it still has.
I have an LBP debit card.

#137 May 8 2020

Tech Guru

And does Shop&Ship or Borderlinx accepts LBP debit Card ? Or Only they accepts USD ? Where do you recommend a reliable online store that accepts LBP for PSN Gift cards @ 1500 rate ? Amazon is a good choice I guess.

Can I use an LBP Debt Visa Card at the PS Store on the official rate of 1515? I can open a PSN Lebanese Account if this could happen. Anyone tried that?

Last edited by Tech Guru (May 8 2020)

#138 May 8 2020

zizo99

so did anyone find any way to buy online with LBP other then those bank online card and their limits?

#139 May 8 2020

zizo99

Tech Guru wrote:

And does Shop&Ship or Borderlinx accepts LBP debit Card ? Or Only they accepts USD ? Where do you recommend a reliable online store that accepts LBP for PSN Gift cards @ 1500 rate ? Amazon is a good choice I guess.

Can I use an LBP Debt Visa Card at the PS Store on the official rate of 1515? I can open a PSN Lebanese Account if this could happen. Anyone tried that?

the problem isn't with the rate, you can still pay online on the official rate 1515 LL, but the problem is with the limit of the cards. I have an "Embark" card from Audi Bank I can only buy 100$ limit each month with it

#140 May 9 2020

Georges00

Which bank allows you to pay online with LBP?
Why would they even stop us from paying in LBP online?

#141 May 9 2020

kareem_nasser

zizo99 wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

the problem isn't with the rate, you can still pay online on the official rate 1515 LL, but the problem is with the limit of the cards. I have an "Embark" card from Audi Bank I can only buy 100$ limit each month with it

Wasn't embark 150 USD per month?

#142 May 9 2020

rolf

Georges00 wrote:

When you buy from an international merchant, someone has to convert your LBP into USD (or Euro or whatever currency the merchant accepts) because LBP basically does not exist outside of Lebanon. For example if someone is based in USA and selling books on Amazon, they can't open a account in LBP over there to receive LBP payments.

The official rate is approx 1500 LBP / USD, this is the rate listed on the Visa and Mastercard websites so someone has to do the conversion at this rate, maybe the central bank, or your bank, I am not sure about the system but someone has to convert your LBP to USD at the official rate.

Also you could profit from this system if you have a foreign account. For example: you can easily register on Stripe, issue a fake invoice for $4000 (or the equivalent amount in LBP), pay it yourself using your Lebanese LBP card, it will be converted to USD at the official rate and go into your foreign account. There you go, you walked around all banking restrictions.

I think that LBP payments can work only inside Lebanon if you pay on a local payment gateway (one of systems which was offered by Lebanese banks) which is connected directly to an LBP account so there is no conversion

The blocked card problem is an old one, I remember a few months it was a struggle to pay hosting fees.

Last edited by rolf (May 9 2020)

#143 May 9 2020

Georges00

rolf wrote:
Georges00 wrote:

When you buy from an international merchant, someone has to convert your LBP into USD (or Euro or whatever currency the merchant accepts) because LBP basically does not exist outside of Lebanon. For example if someone is based in USA and selling books on Amazon, they can't open a account in LBP over there to receive LBP payments.

The official rate is approx 1500 LBP / USD, this is the rate listed on the Visa and Mastercard websites so someone has to do the conversion at this rate, maybe the central bank, or your bank, I am not sure about the system but someone has to convert your LBP to USD at the official rate.

Also you could profit from this system if you have a foreign account. For example: you can easily register on Stripe, issue a fake invoice for $4000 (or the equivalent amount in LBP), pay it yourself using your Lebanese LBP card, it will be converted to USD at the official rate and go into your foreign account. There you go, you walked around all banking restrictions.

I think that LBP payments can work only inside Lebanon if you pay on a local payment gateway (one of systems which was offered by Lebanese banks) which is connected directly to an LBP account so there is no conversion

The blocked card problem is an old one, I remember a few months it was a struggle to pay hosting fees.

Amazon use their own currency converter. They will try to debit your account in LBP, not USD. Unfortunately, I do not know a card that allows you to pay in LBP online.

#144 May 11 2020

zizo99

kareem_nasser wrote:
zizo99 wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

Wasn't embark 150 USD per month?

it was, they downgrade it to 100$ few weeks ago

#145 June 2 2020

Fouche

So guys has anyone figured out how to make payments online @1515LL? are any banks allowing it ? are banks even allowing to open LBP accounts? cause 2 - 3 months ago they weren't. i want to use it for facebook ads.

#146 June 2 2020

jsaade

Fouche wrote:

So guys has anyone figured out how to make payments online @1515LL? are any banks allowing it ? are banks even allowing to open LBP accounts? cause 2 - 3 months ago they weren't. i want to use it for facebook ads.

I wish it was that easy, it is not about figuring it out, there is nothing to figure out. You cannot pay at 1515 as this imaginary number only exists inside banks. The only solution is to buy USD and pay with that.

#147 June 3 2020

zizo99

Fouche wrote:

you can only pay online at 1515 rate within your bank cards limit, i have the "embark" card from audi they allow only 100$ per month.
unfortunately, the only other way is to deposit fresh Dollars in your card

What a shame.

#148 June 14 2020

specility

I have an audi spring account in LBP (debit card), I am allowed to buy online in LBP on the 1515 rate. The limit is 50$ per month and resets every 1 of month.

#149 June 21 2020

Tech Guru

Fellows ,

Does any one uses #CashU Cards? You use it any where for USD online purchases  ( for example on the PSN Store , Ali Express , Amazon , Steam ...) like a regular USD Visa/Master cards? Or it can used only on websites that has collaboration with #CashU only ?

Thank You

#150 June 22 2020

zizo99

Tech Guru wrote:

Fellows ,

Does any one uses #CashU Cards? You use it any where for USD online purchases  ( for example on the PSN Store , Ali Express , Amazon , Steam ...) like a regular USD Visa/Master cards? Or it can used only on websites that has collaboration with #CashU only ?

Thank You

hello, i have used CashU couple of times years ago and back then the website your are buying from should have this option like "Paypal" to be able to pay via CashU. but now (i think) it's changed, they will offer you a card like Master cards to use it like any normal card. BUT they only accept cash $ to charge it. so basically it's not worth it as you can charge your normal bank cards without additional fees (assuming CashU will take a small fees with every operation)

Last edited by zizo99 (June 22 2020)

Board footer