LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#251 December 21 2020

Hybrid

Re: Paying with Lebanese cards online

My Audi debit cards are already set to $0 starting this month, both LBP and USD. Same for a friend of mine. Even the support told us it's set to 0

#252 December 22 2020

kareem_nasser

Hybrid wrote:

My Audi debit cards are already set to $0 starting this month, both LBP and USD. Same for a friend of mine. Even the support told us it's set to 0

Only option is to create an embark card and add fresh funds to it. Otherwise if for PSN for example, i recommend buying cards directly from stores to add funds.

#253 December 22 2020

nefe_lpmk

Greed. You stole all our money, at least sacrifice that 50$ monthly to cover our basic needs.
It's true that even in modern times, rights are taken by force and not asked for.

#254 December 23 2020

LifeEngineer

nefe_lpmk wrote:

Greed. You stole all our money, at least sacrifice that 50$ monthly to cover our basic needs.
It's true that even in modern times, rights are taken by force and not asked for.

Here are some of the mistakes in your 2 sentences comment:
-They've stolen everything but they'll never admit it or recognize it.
-They are not ready to sacrifice anything. They want to take what's remaining still, if any.
-They don't consider all of that online stuff to be "basic needs" for us. It's definitely for them and they can pay whatever they want in USD as they have plenty; but for you, nope sorry, it's luxury!
-50$?! Really?!?! Why are you so greedy?!?! You want 50$ out of the 10,000$ you have in the bank?!? Haha, nice try.

#255 December 23 2020

infiniteloop

As long as people are still following them because of "religious zaïm" excuse, they will continue like nothing changed.
Their next dream is to get the 12 milliards euros of "Cèdre" and split them between them as usual

#256 December 24 2020

wollyka

Hybrid wrote:

Same.
My USD debit is Zero this month.
Embark USD lollar is still working

#257 December 25 2020

hanycodes

I've been contemplating this for a while now. Do you guys think it is better to pull out my $ on the 3,900 LL rate ? I don't have much in there, but you get a little emotional with such things. What would you recommend me doing ? I was also thinking just leaving whatever numbers there, maybe the IMF will bail us.

#258 December 25 2020

TheIlluminative

hanycodes wrote:

I've been contemplating this for a while now. Do you guys think it is better to pull out my $ on the 3,900 LL rate ? I don't have much in there, but you get a little emotional with such things. What would you recommend me doing ? I was also thinking just leaving whatever numbers there, maybe the IMF will bail us.

How much do you have?

Take it all and never leave anything in the banks!

#259 December 28 2020

zizo99

hanycodes wrote:

Of course and without second thought\

#260 January 14 2021

infiniteloop

BOB Skip cards are now limited to a ridiculous 15$ per month
amazon won't even accept it anymore

#261 January 14 2021

Hybrid

infiniteloop wrote:

BOB Skip cards are now limited to a ridiculous 15$ per month
amazon won't even accept it anymore

Probably because you can only spend that $15 online (not in a supermarket, shop, etc..). Same thing happened with my sgbl debit card.

#262 February 4 2021

RandomMemory

does anyone know of cards that let you pay with LBP online (The websites are trying to withdraw LBP not USD). I know bank Audi doesn't. What about BLF?

Last edited by RandomMemory (February 4 2021)

#263 February 5 2021

Hybrid

RandomMemory wrote:

does anyone know of cards that let you pay with LBP online (The websites are trying to withdraw LBP not USD). I know bank Audi doesn't. What about BLF?

I used a Audi debit card to pay LBP on makhsoom.com couple of weeks ago, it worked fine.

Maybe the website you're trying to buy from is actually withdrawing the equivalency of LBP (Like aliexpress for example, it shows you LBP but in reality they do the currency conversion behind the scenes)

#264 February 5 2021

RandomMemory

Actually I'm trying to buy NBA league pass for my brother. They have it at an insane price of 110k LBP per year which is the cheapest country in the world if converted to USD. anyway, the site tries to charge in LBP. I can also see the charge sms from bank audi attempting to withdraw LBP not USD. I called their support center and they said I can't pay online in neither USD nor LBP with my lebanese debit card

Last edited by RandomMemory (February 5 2021)

#265 February 5 2021

kareem_nasser

RandomMemory wrote:

Actually I'm trying to buy NBA league pass for my brother. They have it at an insane price of 110k LBP per year which is the cheapest country in the world if converted to USD. anyway, the site tries to charge in LBP. I can also see the charge sms from bank audi attempting to withdraw LBP not USD. I called their support center and they said I can't pay online in neither USD nor LBP with my lebanese debit card

I use my audi debit card to pay many stuff online and no issues (LBP of course). Through what are you trying to pay? Since the PoS could be outside the country and in fact once transaction is done, you will notice it was withdrawn in dollars on your Statement of account. This happened with e when Uber starting charging in LBP.

#266 February 5 2021

zizo99

Hello, my sister is an employee at Bank Audi, and I can confirm that all debit cards have stopped working on online websites, only credit cards (like Embark) are still working at the moment of this post (of course with a certain limit).

all worldwide websites like (AliExpress, Amazon) charge you in the dollar and not in LBP, even tho they display the prices in LBP

As for local websites (like Makhsoum), I don't really know but you should contact them and ask, yet most of them accept paying at delivery.

Last edited by zizo99 (February 5 2021)

#267 February 5 2021

anayman_k7

I have an Embark card and around 6$ in a Lollar account, I was able before to move money from the account to the Embark card and pay 25$ a month with it, last month while trying to move this 6$ it gave me an error that the amount is below the minimum allowed! So I am not sure it is still allowed to move money from a Lollar account to an Embark card

#268 February 5 2021

infiniteloop

So we have to beg to get 5 or 15$ allowed on our cards!
BoB doesn't let me take more than 400000LL per day from aTM
I am shocked to see nobody is shocked by what they are doing to us (the politicians)
Only a revolution can save Lebanon

#269 February 5 2021

NuclearVision

Honestly, this LBP withdrawal limit may be helpful, i am not saying it's rightful, but in current circumstances it may draw a limit to inflation or delay it at leaat.
Everyone have the right to spend their hard earned money, but people are realizing that their money is worthless paper losing vakue over time, they're trading it for goods, among goods are food and dollars which are rising in price due to increased demand.
Close the LBP sink, you may be able to control that.
Again, this is not rightful, but it may help us survive a few months more.

#270 February 6 2021

AvoK95

NuclearVision wrote:

Honestly, this LBP withdrawal limit may be helpful, i am not saying it's rightful, but in current circumstances it may draw a limit to inflation or delay it at leaat.
Everyone have the right to spend their hard earned money, but people are realizing that their money is worthless paper losing vakue over time, they're trading it for goods, among goods are food and dollars which are rising in price due to increased demand.
Close the LBP sink, you may be able to control that.
Again, this is not rightful, but it may help us survive a few months more.

What you're talking about is correct, however, the banking and financial sector were being warned for years about the country credit limit losing its rating and going down to a CCC rating which they consider "junk" according to Moody's Investor Service.

https://www.mei.edu/publications/it-too … l-collapse

The problem like all problems in Lebanon was neglected as when things get worse, of course, no one cares as all the people in the political sector have their monies in banks abroad and so them following up on the matter does not give any benefit. The citizen is the only one who would suffer and thus no one cared enough to do anything about it.

Banks had no choice but to do the "haircut" and yet they knew no one would accept that especially in a time where revolution is taking place, and so they did it in stages to indirectly applying it by no one noticing.

This is why your LBP is limited and you are encouraged to get fresh dollars into their systems. This indirectly is stabilizing the inflation rate meanwhile people are starving to death especially those who weren't able to withdraw their money in the month of January due to the lockdown.
We have the economic issue, financial issue, COVID, and the explosion.

We are in a big hot mess!

Last edited by AvoK95 (February 6 2021)

#271 February 7 2021

VipModz

Guys, my brother use a Byblos Visa Classic card and has a USD 25 limit per month, he was trying to order from AliExpress but the order was getting declined.

He called Byblos bank customer service and they told him that he can no longer use the card on 3 sites: AliExpress, Amazon and Chegg, can anyone confirm if other banks are doing the same thing, this is bad news!

#272 February 7 2021

LifeEngineer

My friend told me the same about this VipModz :(

#273 February 23 2021

scubadiver

Guys, I need to pay a tuition deposit in Australia and the university suggest Western Union global pay. And it is claiming that I can pay in my currency whatsoever. The exchange rate is 1500. So any idea if it will work ?

#274 February 24 2021

ironman

scubadiver wrote:

Guys, I need to pay a tuition deposit in Australia and the university suggest Western Union global pay. And it is claiming that I can pay in my currency whatsoever. The exchange rate is 1500. So any idea if it will work ?

It won't, you can't send LBP to someone outside of Lebanon

#275 February 24 2021

scubadiver

In case I opened a fresh dollar account, can I send up to 1000$ ? Is there any new fees when paying with it ?
I heard that high fees are applied.
Any specific bank ?

Board footer