LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 18 2020

AVOlio

Snowing Lebanon

I am really terrible in knowing all the different places / villages outside the city.
I see people knowing the names of each village and memorizing different roads and routes on how to get there either from the city or hopping from one village to another.

And as a geek, all I have to count on is Google Maps.

Since it's the snowing season, I'm counting on You to share with me some cool snowing Locations (not Skying) where we can just go and have fun, hike on a very beginner's level and simply enjoy the time and weather. A place where my GSD dog can also have fun and enjoy.

Preferably share some places youve visited personally.
Mention any fees that might be available as entrance fees etc.
And of course, do not forget to add the location on the map.

Thank you,
Happy winter.

#2 January 18 2020

rolf

Re: Snowing Lebanon

I recently discovered Mount Sannine. I got there thanks to Google Maps, it involved going through Bikfaya.
It goes up to 2400m and it's awesome. You wont have to deal with all the traffic of Faraya Mzaar. No skiing resort yet, it's like a sacred mountain, I suggest people organize something to protect it.

So anyway there was some serious black ice on a few stretches of the road. Proceed with care and do not go on your own unless you have experience with these conditions.

Last edited by rolf (January 18 2020)

#3 January 30 2020

AVOlio

Thanks Rolf.
I checked it out, near Qanat Bakish.
There is this hotel there called Snowland, and I am guessing it also offers ski equipment for skiing and lifts as well.

Did you happen to use their ski lifts for skiing or you just went on hikes into the mountains on your own without paying any entrance fees?

Also, anybody else wants to chip in their locations?

#4 January 30 2020

rolf

AVOlio wrote:

Did you happen to use their ski lifts for skiing or you just went on hikes into the mountains on your own without paying any entrance fees?

I just drove up the road as far as I could. I did it again yesterday and got stuck. Because temperatures are warmer, the powdery snow has turned into icy slush which is easy to get stuck in.

There is a skiing resort on the way, I am not sure of it's name.

The Sannine summit is usually covered by clouds, I did not get to see it from nearby yet.

There are snowshoeing expeditions, I would guess, in that area.

Last edited by rolf (January 30 2020)

#5 February 4 2020

AVOlio

I made the trip on Sunday to Qanat Bakish.

The weather was amazing for snowing.

I drove until the ends of the mountain where there were few people and no buses at all.
We enjoyed an entire big valley of snow to ourselves.

I was hoping to make the trip again this weekend with my dog.
Unfortunately she is on her period now! How unlucky she is!!
And I don't even know if the weather is going to be the same this weekend as well.

Board footer