LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 1 2019

Tech Guru

"Gysnc" On Latest OLED LG TVs - A Marketing Scam

The "Gsync " Stamp is a marketing scam not like the Gsync Hardware module with LFC. Samsung Qleds QFn (2018 models) & QR (2019 models) have Freesync over HDMI with limited adaptive refresh rate window (Upper & Lower Threshold). What Nvidia&LG did is a driver + TV frimware tweak ( a software thing) to enable VRR over HDMI 2.0 & name it Gsync.

Linus &  The Tech Chap are simply paid sponsorship reviews. A friend gifted me a 55" LG C9 OLED TV ,  and I got the chance to test it from the rtx 2080ti + full bandwidth 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 cable on a native 1440p 120hz signal support ,  the VRR refresh rate window is limited 45hz to 120hz window.

Sold it ,  due to burn in risk of innate OLED technology pitfall,  and bought the Samsung Q900R. The Q900R has a unique feature of supporting native 2160 120hz within the  HDMI 2.0 bandwidth throughput of 18Gbps and without an HDMI 2.1 source , a 2160p 120hz 4 2 0 8 bit falls within the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth.

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 1 2019)

#2 December 1 2019

Hemorrhoids

Re: "Gysnc" On Latest OLED LG TVs - A Marketing Scam

Not sure what OLED you had,I have an old Samsung KE55 since 2013, mostly used for watching TV, ~8 hours a day, if I lower the brightness to minimum in a pitch dark room with a grey color background picture test, thats the only way I see a barely visible shadow of local news logos, small price to pay to many when it comes to overall picture quality (no blur for gamers), especially movies at night, no visible black bars (backlight) at 21:9 with the lights off, and SDR looks similar to cheap HDR on oled in some scenes.

#3 December 2 2019

Tech Guru

Re: "Gysnc" On Latest OLED LG TVs - A Marketing Scam

Hemorrhoids wrote:

Not sure what OLED you had,I have an old Samsung KE55 since 2013, mostly used for watching TV, ~8 hours a day, if I lower the brightness to minimum in a pitch dark room with a grey color background picture test, thats the only way I see a barely visible shadow of local news logos, small price to pay to many when it comes to overall picture quality (no blur for gamers), especially movies at night, no visible black bars (backlight) at 21:9 with the lights off, and SDR looks similar to cheap HDR on oled in some scenes.

The KE55 is an old full hd OLED tv with no HDR support at all. HDR 10 is panel dependable & requires at least 1000 nits of brightness. The C9 is amuch advance OLED panel that has

HDR Real Scene Peak Brightness @ 726 cd/m²
HDR Peak 2% Window @ 855 cd/m²
HDR Peak 10% Window @  845 cd/m²

Source:  Rtings.com

OLEDs detecting HDR sources and increasing their brightness to these levels for a solid HDR experience ,  are highly susceptible for image retentions /  burn Ins. The enemy of organic light emitting diode panels is high brightness. As HDR is gaining unprecedented momentum in gaming / movies , C9 being a home entertaining unit with a 3k investment for the 65" makes it at a risk position. This is also applies to any high end OLED models from different brands too ( Sony A9G  for example).

Last edited by Tech Guru (December 2 2019)

Board footer