LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 24 2019

xazbrat

Translation question

What is primer here--the type you put on before painting something like a sink or a tub or even walls?  I tried to describe what it what to a few stores and they tried to tell me that I don't need it (guess what, I do) or they had no clue.  I haven't seen it anywhere or not a form that I recognize.

#2 October 24 2019

eWizzard

Re: Translation question

Primer is معجونة .

#3 October 24 2019

xazbrat

eWizzard wrote:

Primer is معجونة .

Really, I thought that meant clay.  Thanks though.

#4 October 24 2019

eWizzard

xazbrat wrote:
eWizzard wrote:

Primer is معجونة .

Really, I thought that meant clay.  Thanks though.

You might be thinking of plaster which is ورقة .

#5 October 24 2019

DNA

Primer is أساس they call the process وج أساس
معجونة is something totally different

#6 October 25 2019

xazbrat

DNA wrote:

That makes sense calling it that--Just hoping to find it here especially in a spray can.  Would make things much easier.

#7 October 25 2019

eWizzard

DNA wrote:

Okay then, what does معجونة refer to?

#8 October 25 2019

DNA

معجونة is Gypsum Plaster basically plaster

#9 October 25 2019

DNA

xazbrat wrote:
DNA wrote:

That makes sense calling it that--Just hoping to find it here especially in a spray can.  Would make things much easier.

i havent seen spray base coats here, but you can find it for sure as a paint bucket.

Last edited by DNA (October 25 2019)

#10 October 25 2019

eWizzard

DNA wrote:

Not at all. Gypsum-based plaster is what we call جفصين . Clay-based plaster is called طين . Both are used in ورقة .

Primer is a type of sealing undercoat that is applied on porous and permeable substrates, such as plasters, concrete, woods, metals, and plastics, to prepare them for painting. A primer is a suspension of solvents and resin with high mineral content. It's very thick and putty-like, hence why it's called معجونة . Sometimes it's called أساس which is not wrong since it forms a base for paint, but أساس also means "substrate" which is the surface to be painted. In common parlance we say بدّي معجن سيّارتي but we don't say بدّي أسّس سيّارتي .

#11 October 25 2019

DNA

eWizzard wrote:
DNA wrote:

Not at all. Gypsum-based plaster is what we call جفصين . Clay-based plaster is called طين . Both are used in ورقة .

Primer is a type of sealing undercoat that is applied on porous and permeable substrates, such as plasters, concrete, woods, metals, and plastics, to prepare them for painting. A primer is a suspension of solvents and resin with high mineral content. It's very thick and putty-like, hence why it's called معجونة . Sometimes it's called أساس which is not wrong since it forms a base for paint, but أساس also means "substrate" which is the surface to be painted. In common parlance we say بدّي معجن سيّارتي but we don't say بدّي أسّس سيّارتي .

I bought material for my house so i know what stuff معجونة is sometimes gypsum based and is what is used today as a base for walls to remove defects before painting there are several kinds not just gypsum based. it is called Gypsum compound or gypsum plaster or putty something along those lines i don't care about english wording though.
go to a store ask them  for معجونة جفصين and see it yourself.

primer is called اساس and its different from معجنة  when you fix your car they use معجونة to hide the defects in the metal work and accident marks. not as a primer like you say and yes they use اساس over bare metal before they paint the car
primer or base coat is اساس.
معجونة is plaster or putty doesn't matter what matter is where it is used

Board footer