LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 28 2019

cmecc

Need Advice to Immigrate & Study

Hello everyone,

I'm a 21 years old guy currently studying computer science in AUB and I'm graduating in December.

I was looking forward doing my masters in the UK and coming back here but the prospect of the upcoming economic crisis and the lack of job prospects for cs graduates fully convinced me of leaving the country.

Canada seems to be my best chance especially considering the fact I speak french fluently. I was thinking of maybe doing my masters there and then applying for a PR.

However, if I do decide to do my masters in Canada, I'll most probably end up in a worst uni as getting into a good graduate program is harder than in the UK and I don't really see my application standing out (I have around a 3.55 cumulative GPA, around a 3.75 major GPA, no work experience and average references). On the otherhand, if I choose Canada over the UK I'll have around 15k-20k to spare, but money is not really a concern (as long it isn't over the 15k-20k range) as I can always try to find a job and save every penny if I need to (if I go to Canada I might need to wait another year anyway cause I haven't taken any standardized test yet).

So, do you guys think I should go for a masters in cs in Canada even though it means getting into a worst uni? How easy would it be to get a PR after graduating? Is there any other options/countries you guys think I could look into?

Thanks!

Last edited by cmecc (September 28 2019)

#2 September 29 2019

hkbazzi

Re: Need Advice to Immigrate & Study

Are you sure there are no good unis that you can afford in Canada?

I work in London, life there is nice but very expensive. Its harder to get citizenship in the UK.

Canada is looking for taxpayers and the job market is better there than in the UK especially with Brexit around the corner, its either gonna be great for the UK or it is going to be horrible.

One thing I learned is that degrees won't matter a year or two regarding getting good jobs. The experience takes over, and your masters is a message to your employer that your raise should be much higher than someone with just a Bachelor's let alone no degree as well.

I'd pick Canada if I were you.

Board footer