LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 25 2019

itsamemario

how should i continue my education

hello i'm new here. I am currently in my last year as bachelor of science in telecommunications in Lebanese international university . but the problem is i am more far interested in software engineering. I only chose CCE at LIU because they did not have software engineering major and this was the closest to it. So i don't know what to do after i get my bachelor in science, can someone continue from telecommunication to software engineering, and if i transfer universities do i need to start all over again ? that would be a waste of 3 years, and on the other hand i do not like to continue my education in a field that i don't imagine myself working in for the rest of my life. I would appreciate some advice and thanks.

#2 September 25 2019

nuclearcat

Re: how should i continue my education

I dont know about Lebanon, but usually university courses give you just basic skills of programming, and technologies they teach is often becoming outdated faster than they finish teaching you. If you have enough willpower and desire, you can learn all this knowledge in a year yourself.
Real work experience much more valuable than paper towel called diploma. It is good to have it, but usually (not always) your employer will evaluate it only if you are somewhere on level of Phd.
And if they do, they check if it is "something IT" or even just technical, if they search for a programmer.
I might be wrong as well.
What other forum users think, is there a difference when hiring a programmer with a diploma in software engineering, or with diploma  of telecommunications engineering?

#3 September 25 2019

xterm

Diplomas do not matter to me or the company i work for, having an arts, science or engineering diploma (or none) does not change anything. When i hire, it's about the candidates capabilities which would be clear during the interview process or the probation period.

#4 September 25 2019

AVOlio

xterm wrote:

Diplomas do not matter to me or the company i work for, having an arts, science or engineering diploma (or none) does not change anything. When i hire, it's about the candidates capabilities which would be clear during the interview process or the probation period.

Life would be so much better for job seekers if companies assess them during the probation period rather than only the interview alone.
One can totally screw up an interview, and that could he due to many reason like interview stress, interviewer can be nervous, lack of interpersonal or communication skills etc...
But even then, the job seeker knows that he can ace the job he's applying for, but his performance during the interview killed it for him.

#5 September 25 2019

xterm

AVOlio wrote:

Life would be so much better for job seekers if companies assess them during the probation period rather than only the interview alone.

- the amount of people applying to a job is normally high, you can't just put everyone on probation.
- a good number of candidates already have jobs, promising them another job with probation means they have to leave their current job first.
- the number of candidates that fail the process for the reasons you mentioned isn't high enough that it merits sending everyone in probation.
- while it does depend on the position, communication is key to any team. If i'm hiring a robot, i'll overlook the lack of communication skills.
- a good interviewer will try to relieve the stress/nervousness from the candidate.

... and so on

I do understand that more often than not, interview processes can be daunting or unfair. Practicing, getting help and knowing where to apply and what positions to apply to, makes it a little better.

Board footer