LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 December 10 2019

user

Re: Should I move to Canada?

Hybrid wrote:

Hello Canada.

I landed couple of days ago. It rains but they have no floods and no protests. The Canadian dollar is the only used currency. Everyone around me is nice. What kind of weird country is this?

Ya hala fik. And I just found a nice apartment to rent in Montreal for 750 Canadian dollars(equivalent to 550 usd) a month, walking distance from my work and from the metro with one bedroom and one living room.

Last edited by user (December 10 2019)

#52 December 10 2019

Hybrid

It's much more expensive in Ottawa, the cheapest non-furnished studio is for  1000 CAD

#53 December 10 2019

mmk92

I'm having a tough time finding a place in Ottaww online. I have rented a room on Airbnb for now in the hopes of finding a place in the first month after I land

#54 December 10 2019

Hybrid

mmk92 wrote:

I'm having a tough time finding a place in Ottaww online. I have rented a room on Airbnb for now in the hopes of finding a place in the first month after I land

Yep, the good ones are taken, make sure to check the address online before going for the actual rent, many places have been reported to have cockroaches and bed bugs, you might wanna stay away from these

#55 December 11 2019

thegodfatherdany

mmk92 wrote:

Just make sure to see the place live with the landlord via call/cam when you try to rent a room/apartment. Check Facebook Marketplace, Facebook Groups (watch out for scammers on groups), or Kijiji for places. I was scammed when I moved to Kingston for graduate studies. Sent around 1600$ CAD from Lebanon to the owner and turned out that it was a scam. He did provide a full contract as well as images of the place. If you trust someone to check a place for you before you land, that would be your best option.
As for rental prices in Montreal or Ottawa, I would say both are very affordable compared to Toronto (MTL about 1/2 rental prices in Toronto). Goodluck!

Last edited by thegodfatherdany (December 11 2019)

#56 December 11 2019

user

Checking online did not help me at all. You need to walk around the city and note down posted phone numbers. Very little is posted online, usually expensive ones are. Older cheaper apartments are not posted online.

#57 December 11 2019

rolf

thegodfatherdany wrote:

I was scammed when I moved to Kingston for graduate studies. Sent around 1600$ CAD from Lebanon to the owner and turned out that it was a scam.

Never do that, never send money to individuals that you don't know well.

Someone tried to pull the "western union" scam on me. They posted an awesome and cheap (too good to be true) apartment on craigslist. But they needed "proof that I was serious" and that was in the form of a questionnaire that I had to fill, and I had to "post money to myself" through western union and send them a photo of the receipt to "prove that I have the money".

The way this works is they would show up at western union with all the info they gathered, pretend to be me, and receive the money that I "transferred to myself".

If you have a video call with someone, then you will be able to directly connect to their IP (and find out where they live) and see their face. Most scammers will find an excuse when you try to have a video call or even voice chat with them ("my camera is broken", etc.)

By the way, craigslist seems to be a good option for finding cheaper stays, in Montreal at least.

Last edited by rolf (December 11 2019)

#58 December 11 2019

thegodfatherdany

rolf wrote:

Never do that, never send money to individuals that you don't know well.

Had to learn it the hard way. Kingston is a student city and rooms are booked very early in the year. I was not able to find any single room where you are able to when you arrive. Anyway, that was last year. I am looking forward for this year as I might move to Calgary.

#59 December 13 2019

rolf

So, are we doing lebcangeeks.com?
It seems that Canada is stealing all the genius talent from Lebanon.
Are we just going to let them do it?

#60 December 13 2019

Hemorrhoids

rolf wrote:

I had to visit that URL.

#61 December 13 2019

Guitaret

Hello @Hybrid,

Since you applied very recently, I have few questions to ask you about the process. Would you mind we discuss it in private for 5 minutes?

#62 December 13 2019

TigerFox

rolf wrote:

Sure , better than having life stolen from you in this country #feelsbadman

#63 December 14 2019

rolf

TigerFox wrote:

having life stolen from you

Now you sound like Greta Thunberg

Last edited by rolf (December 14 2019)

#64 December 14 2019

Hybrid

Guitaret wrote:

Hello @Hybrid,

Since you applied very recently, I have few questions to ask you about the process. Would you mind we discuss it in private for 5 minutes?

Sure I don't mind, but I didn't apply recently, I applied around 4 years ago, and did my soft landing around 3 years ago, then went back to Lebanon for almost 3 years, now I'm back to Canada.

#65 December 14 2019

TigerFox

rolf wrote:
TigerFox wrote:

having life stolen from you

Now you sound like Greta Thunberg

True , however my single statement has more facts than her whole cry. All she did was a pro gamer move in social media marketing  . Watch her become a millionaire and me , wirh that statement  , stay in Lebanon

#66 December 14 2019

rolf

TigerFox wrote:

True , however my single statement has more facts than her whole cry. All she did was a pro gamer move in social media marketing  . Watch her become a millionaire and me , wirh that statement  , stay in Lebanon

I read a bit about her and apparently she started a protest movement long before she was famous, so she would earned some of the attention. I would not make fun of her, but rather her environment and the assembly where she made a speech. The cynical me thinks they are clapping because "we are so advanced in Europe that 16 year old are passionate about climate change and we let them lecture us at the UN and we love it".

I will be impressed by European ethics when they stop selling weapons. Germany did try to stop selling weapons to Saudi Arabia at least for a while.

Anyway life in Lebanon can be unbearable and if at least there was something to do, for the positive to offset the negative.

However, for one thing, we had a decent education in this country, right? In this sense it did give us a life.

#67 December 14 2019

TigerFox

rolf wrote:

I read a bit about her and apparently she started a protest movement long before she was famous, so she would earned some of the attention. I would not make fun of her, but rather her environment and the assembly where she made a speech. The cynical me thinks they are clapping because "we are so advanced in Europe that 16 year old are passionate about climate change and we let them lecture us at the UN and we love it".

I will be impressed by European ethics when they stop selling weapons. Germany did try to stop selling weapons to Saudi Arabia at least for a while.

Anyway life in Lebanon can be unbearable and if at least there was something to do, for the positive to offset the negative.

However, for one thing, we had a decent education in this country, right? In this sense it did give us a life.

I am not educated enough on the issue , but I did read some of her quotes through discussions here and there. The thing was that her speech was just stuff people already talked about , but in a different perspective . Yet nothing had been done when there was enough time. I've been reading that some climate issues are irreversible already :(

Lebanon could definetly be a decent country , but oh well. Retirement in Lebanon is dope though , if you have a car and a house , $600K ? accumulated and gave your kids a good country passport , you are pretty much chill here , say after 55 or 60. That is if Lebanon doesnt go more downhill.

#68 December 14 2019

rolf

IMO, the way things are, retirement in Lebanon is too expensive, when you factor in that for having a good standard of living, you pretty much need to have your own kingdom, to offset all the problems and shortcomings that we suffer from in Lebanon.
Maybe a good thing about Lebanon are the opportunities for progress. There is demand and there is space for change and progress.

Regarding Thunberg, yes I see what you mean.

You know what would be nice, if we can turn "human rights" into "environmental rights" then maybe that would be progress.

Last edited by rolf (December 14 2019)

#69 December 14 2019

TigerFox

Eh , media is way too powerful , especially in Lebanon. It is going to be really hard to change it. The resources are available but the solutions are complicated

#70 December 14 2019

Hybrid

Winter doesn't seem as harsh as it was in 2016 so far.... I remember same time in 2016 it was snow everywhere, it's still between -3 and 3 degrees during the day in here, the snow is gone cause of rain so far. However, It's almost always cloudy.

#71 December 16 2019

thegodfatherdany

Hybrid wrote:

Winter doesn't seem as harsh as it was in 2016 so far.... I remember same time in 2016 it was snow everywhere, it's still between -3 and 3 degrees during the day in here, the snow is gone cause of rain so far. However, It's almost always cloudy.

I have read that this winter is expected to be milder than the previous ones. However, the real cold is in Jan/Feb and on to mid March. Apart from the fact that you get two months of intense cold temps, you wont really enjoy summer until mid June. Spring here tends to be a bit wet and you can expect rain showers frequently.

#72 December 21 2019

random-username

I'm in Winnipeg right now, arguably the coldest city in the lower provinces. I don't regret my decision at all, I'd say it's the best decision I've ever made. Only regret not wire-transferring all of my savings to here after I moved. Got screwed over by the situation in Lebanon..

#73 December 21 2019

rolf

It's hard to regret a new adventure. You are probably too busy with your life to be looking back.
Also not regretting is a decision you can make, wherever you go.
It is good to hear that you are fine, thanks! Have a good time there.
I have a question for Montreal, how is access to nature and wild outdoors from there, can anyone describe the experience?

Last edited by rolf (December 21 2019)

#74 December 21 2019

random-username

rolf wrote:

It's hard to regret a new adventure. You are probably too busy with your life to be looking back.
Also not regretting is a decision you can make, wherever you go.
It is good to hear that you are fine, thanks! Have a good time there.
I have a question for Montreal, how is access to nature and wild outdoors from there, can anyone describe the experience?

I have family there and travel there very often, actually going there next week too.
It's one of the best cities to kive in if you can speak french. A 1 hour drive gets you to national parks and forests. Quite frankly, it's like this anywhere else in Canada, there's so much untouched land due to the scheer size of this country. There's always some kind of outdoors activity to partake in regardless of the season (fishing, camping, cycling, skiing, skating, hunting...etc.)

#75 December 21 2019

rolf

Thanks.

Board footer