LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 23 2019

Hybrid

Should I move to Canada?

Long story short, I have the Canadian Permanent residence, if I don't move to Canada in couple of months, the card will expire and I'm gonna lose the permanent residency status.

I do have a stable job and a place to live in Lebanon, but after all the war tension and the unstable economy in the past few months, I'm starting to re-think whether I should permanently move to Canada or not.

It shouldn't be hard to find a job there with my computer science MSc degree, but the hard part is starting all over again, going back to zero. Then I start thinking what if a war is to happen in Lebanon or the economy totally collapse, I might end up unemployed and below zero.

There's no doubt it's a tough decision, leaving behind your family, your girlfriend, your job and apartment and going half way across the world for a fresh start. It's like my brain is saying GO but my heart is screaming STAY.

Just looking for some opinions on what would you guys do and why?

#2 September 23 2019

AVOlio

Re: Should I move to Canada?

I would go and work as a garbage man even if I had your degree or any degree.
Just go and don't lose your opportunity of that permanent non Lebanese residency.

#3 September 23 2019

rolf

Hey, I just want to say, I understand your dilemma and I am actually in a comparable dilemma, and I know it is tough.

I want to say that the 2 month deadline is a blessing in disguise, otherwise you could just spend your whole life hesitating and never be ready to take the step.

I had written a few paragraphs of opinion, suggestions and advice, but if you don't mind that much - I have decided to refrain from giving advice at the moment. I don't know if I am qualified to give you advice when I struggle with the same problem with no solution in sight.

Last edited by rolf (September 23 2019)

#4 September 23 2019

Cage

I am applying for EE after i get my degree and some work experience which is probably gonna be after 4 years or something. Unless you have a good living here, governmental connections and things like that i wouldn't advice anyone to stay here. For me, i just want to live in peace, in a society that embraces equality and doesn't know what discrimination is. It depends on your situation after all, you say you have a girlfriend and all, maybe try getting her to come with you there by applying another profile? I don't know. Good luck

#5 September 23 2019

rolf

But I have to say it caught my attention when you mention "starting from zero" but then you say you have a good job. So why would your Lebanese experience not be transferable and recognized in Canada?

It also struck me afterward that you do not seem to consider the possibility of cooperating with your girlfriend for tackling this challenge.

Last edited by rolf (September 23 2019)

#6 September 23 2019

potato

In this case i would get advice from friends currently living abroad 'canada' and ask them their opinion. Since they have an idea what is like living in canada.

#7 September 23 2019

LifeEngineer

Q: Should I move to Canada?
A: Hahaha do you even have to ask?!?

#8 September 23 2019

Cage

rolf wrote:

But I have to say it caught my attention when you mention "starting from zero" but then you say you have a good job. So why would your Lebanese experience not be transferable and recognized in Canada?

It also struck me afterward that you do not seem to consider the possibility of cooperating with your girlfriend for tackling this challenge.

I don't really know how much they use this term with immigrants but i heard that alot of companies there ask about  "Canadian Experience".

#9 September 23 2019

Scode99

Go go go. If you don’t your going to regret it tomorrow.

#10 September 23 2019

Hybrid

rolf wrote:

The experience will be recongnized for sure. By starting from zero, I mean a new job, new colleagues, new house, new furniture, new friends, new environment, new culture.
My girlfriend wants me to go, we will be in a long distance relationship for a while though..

#11 September 23 2019

sero

Its indeed a tough decision. You may not bare the cold weather, you may not enjoy the country, you may not find the best job....

However I know lots of people who got the Canadian permanent residence years ago and decided not to leave. They all regret their decision.

I would definitely take the risk and leave.

#12 September 23 2019

thegodfatherdany

For me, this is a no-brainer question. I have moved to Canada to study and stay 1 year ago and this is the smartest decision I have ever made. It is true you might be starting from zero but the zero here is not what you think of. I worked part time minimum wage as a cashier during my studies and earned more than I worked as a full time mechanical engineer in Lebanon.  With a computer science degree, you are crazy not to come here. All the jobs I see are related to software and IT. Mind you that Canada is not "La Vie en Rose" and as you said everything will be new to you ( weather, people, cultures, food) and it will be very hard at first. With time, you will adapt and love it.

#13 September 23 2019

samer
Admin

Perhaps one way to look at this is that no matter what, you'll always be able to come back to Lebanon. Why don't you treat this as an experiment that you re-evaluate regularly?

Write down both your hopes and fears about starting a life there today. Go there and read it again every 6 months. If after 12-18 months you feel that things aren't working out for you, you can always come back, no harm done. You said your partner is willing to give long-distance a try, so I don't perceive much opportunity cost here.

The worst case will be that you learn that Canada is not right for you. Finding a job again in Lebanon should not scare you, since you mentioned you are currently happily employed, chances are you will be again.

The best case: you build a new life over there, and eventually (after 3 years of continuous residency) you will become a Canadian citizen. With all the privileges and responsibilities it entails.

I say give it a shot.

Good luck!

#14 September 24 2019

Cage

samer wrote:

Perhaps one way to look at this is that no matter what, you'll always be able to come back to Lebanon. Why don't you treat this as an experiment that you re-evaluate regularly?

True

#15 September 25 2019

vengeance666

No offense but are you seriously asking that question? I'm almost killing myself trying to leave this place and never come back. I don't get it, people with such opportunity to live in a decent, respectable country choose to just stay .. here ? I would rather wash dishes in Toronto than wake up another day and head to my office in Lebanon (I'm an accountant in a corporation). At least as a dishwasher I'm sure the government looks after me and I receive all my rights.

#16 September 25 2019

Guitaret

vengeance666 wrote:

I don't get it, people with such opportunity to live in a decent, respectable country choose to just stay .. here ?

This concern of yours is a very difficult one to reply to as I am sure your answer to the below will be very biased:
What if you had a better job, (ex: one with 3x the salary you have)? Wouldn't the more money help you solve some of the issues you face in this country? your dream car, 2 vacations per year, whatever you like...? Wouldn't this tip the balance of the scale? I am sure it would for most people who leave here.

All I am saying, each one has its own story and dreams to catch and it is impossible to confirm that a person will be happier moving to the west. An extremely difficult decision to make and I have my most sincere sympathy with the ones being challenged to take it.

If anyone knows a good oracle, let me know

#17 September 25 2019

Cage

Guitaret wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:

I don't get it, people with such opportunity to live in a decent, respectable country choose to just stay .. here ?

This concern of yours is a very difficult one to reply to as I am sure your answer to the below will be very biased:
What if you had a better job, (ex: one with 3x the salary you have)? Wouldn't the more money help you solve some of the issues you face in this country? your dream car, 2 vacations per year, whatever you like...? Wouldn't this tip the balance of the scale? I am sure it would for most people who leave here.

All I am saying, each one has its own story and dreams to catch and it is impossible to confirm that a person will be happier moving to the west. An extremely difficult decision to make and I have my most sincere sympathy with the ones being challenged to take it.

Nah bruh I agree with him even getting a better job here would not make it close to what Canada has to offer. You're still gonna be living with the same people, fear of collapse, bribery, corruption. We just want to be somewhere where we can be mentally relaxed you know?

#18 September 25 2019

Tech Guru

It depends at the end on the personal preference and your " current siruation" here and its stability.

Yes , Lebanon have a lot of social and economical problems ,  as other countries   have  even in Europe or USA.
Personally I went to Canada several times and I cannot tolerate two things:

Crazy Cold Weather
Staying Away from my parents as they get old and sick ,  as my mom passed away recently and I was a main shoulder to lean at.

I was in your shoes and dilemma and I got the PR after the long process of

Express Entry  Visa Points ( Skilled Workers)
ITA
Paper Work
IELTS
Etc..

Final Decision is to stay here .I have a good government position with a good life status. I became some how immune to everlasting Lebanese economical and social problems and I can manage to cope with them. At the end , to me, I will be buired here.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 25 2019)

#19 September 25 2019

Guitaret

Cage wrote:

Nah bruh I agree with him even getting a better job here would not make it close to what Canada has to offer. You're still gonna be living with the same people, fear of collapse, bribery, corruption. We just want to be somewhere where we can be mentally relaxed you know?

Yes I totally understand but you cannot guarantee that he will find what he is looking for there (assuming the thing you want turns out to be the thing that makes you happy) so he will have to try to find out, there are no other shortcuts and the trial will be very expensive.

Other factors to consider (please don't take it slightly):
As soon as you reach financial security in life (the feeling that money is no longer a mental insecurity) you will discover that it is only one layer in the onion of insecurities. Money (& corruption & bribery...) is the easiest case. My friend moved to Canada and is well secured financially now (he literally spends his money like there is no tomorrow) but "it can get extremely lonely there"; Those are his exact words and trust me this is the ugliest feeling in the world (no words to describe it). Making friends is not granted there, it is a challenge and the odds are that people of your surroundings will not share your values/interests (in my friend's case, all they talk and care about is tennis and hockey, something that will never be of interest to him).

I can go very long in this but in the end: we all want to be happy but sadly, you have to try to know for yourself. (no testing or simulation to help you out)

@Tech Guru, thank you for sharing that brother, I am glad you tried it out and found your spot. It sucks to not know what you want and it sucks, even more, to regret missing out an opportunity.

Last edited by Guitaret (September 25 2019)

#20 September 25 2019

Toufic

How long after you receive the permanent residence PR does it expire ??

I'm postponing my application as i'm trying to save as much money with my job and spend time with my family + the remaining friends who haven't left already

#21 September 26 2019

Hybrid

Thank you guys for all the replies, some points were inspiring. I still didn't make my final decision, hopefully by end of this week I'll decide

Toufic wrote:

I'm postponing my application as i'm trying to save as much money with my job and spend time with my family + the remaining friends who haven't left already

As far as I remember, you have 1 year after your medical exam to do your landing.

If you already did your landing, you have to live there 2 out of 5 years (730 days) in order to be able to renew your PR.

#22 September 26 2019

vengeance666

Guitaret wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:

I agree in someways to what you mentioned but my main concern here isn't money. Well sure money is an issue nowadays in Lebanon but it's not the solution to everything. The issue here is living in an "arabic" backward thinking society as a whole (excluding some classy areas in Beirut), the non existence of laws, corruption, the traffic you have to deal with everyday, the trash crisis, pollution, unclean food etc etc etc. You never know when you lose this privilege of having a stable financial situation and god forbid it happens there is so social security or anything the government does to help you out get back on your feet but instead they screw you even more. It's the general atmosphere and the way the majority of people think and behave that really gets on my nerves. I think I might get gag reflexes the next time I hear something طائفي on the news, like the latest thing happening in القرنة السوداء. Look at what people are fighting about while the trash is all over the place and the economy going down the drain. No job, no girl friend and no possible amount of money you could make in Lebanon (at least in legal ways) can fix this.

Last edited by vengeance666 (September 26 2019)

#23 September 26 2019

dp0001

Had the same decision to take 9 years ago but Canada->Lebanon. Had a job, engaged, apartment, community etc... What helped me in my case was prayer. I'm not talking about going to church or mosque and/or talking to a religious leader (although you could if you wanted to) , i just mean to be in a quiet place in the morning or anytime and to pray from your heart to God/Allah/ -  or the Universe if you're atheist and just pray for some clear guidance as to what is best for you. Pray with tremendous intensity as if you're life depends on it, (and it does as this is a life changing situation) and see what comes up.

Last edited by dp0001 (September 26 2019)

#24 September 26 2019

Guitaret

vengeance666 wrote:

I agree in someways to what you mentioned but my main concern here isn't money. Well sure money is an issue nowadays in Lebanon but it's not the solution to everything. The issue here is living in an "arabic" backward thinking society as a whole (excluding some classy areas in Beirut), the non existence of laws, corruption, the traffic you have to deal with everyday, the trash crisis, pollution, unclean food etc etc etc. You never know when you lose this privilege of having a stable financial situation and god forbid it happens there is so social security or anything the government does to help you out get back on your feet but instead they screw you even more. It's the general atmosphere and the way the majority of people think and behave that really gets on my nerves. I think I might get gag reflexes the next time I hear something طائفي on the news, like the latest thing happening in القرنة السوداء. Look at what people are fighting about while the trash is all over the place and the economy going down the drain. No job, no girl friend and no possible amount of money you could make in Lebanon (at least in legal ways) can fix this.

From this perspective, I totally get your point. If you find yourself very intolerant to the wrongs that we see everyday in this country, it is a no brainer, leave as soon as you can.

@dp0001, let us know what did you decide, any regrets? advice?

#25 September 26 2019

Toufic

Hybrid wrote:

Thank you guys for all the replies, some points were inspiring. I still didn't make my final decision, hopefully by end of this week I'll decide

Toufic wrote:

As far as I remember, you have 1 year after your medical exam to do your landing.

If you already did your landing, you have to live there 2 out of 5 years (730 days) in order to be able to renew your PR.

Thank you man !!

I'm going to start the application next month or by December max.

Board footer