LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#176 March 25 2023

squadi

Re: Terra Net - WDSL

Im not complaining, but I seem to be getting around 45mbps symmetrical.

FluxBB bbcode test

note I requested 12mbps

Last edited by squadi (March 25 2023)

#177 March 25 2023

Space

squadi wrote:

Im not complaining, but I seem to be getting around 45mbps symmetrical.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/14524684096.png

note I requested 12mbps

That's impressive honestly! What's the latency while gaming on Europe servers?

#178 March 25 2023

RandomMemory

You have to stop speedtesting on a Lebanese IP. Use a VPN and speedtest 2-3 times you'll see upload throttle. Show me an upload to Microsoft teams or an ftp server

#179 March 26 2023

squadi

@Space ping is usually 62 when playing League of Legends and 58 when playing Valorant. Haven't tried other games yet. Although at certain times, especially at night, ping was very unstable. I'll be calling them tomorrow

@RandomMemory I don't have a paid VPN, so I used Windscribe's free tier and I was getting around 13mbps upload on Speedtest. Wetransfer without VPN, the upload speed was ranging between 15mbps and 35mbps. Microsoft teams without VPN was around 35mbps average, with VPN (again this is the free tier), I was getting around 7mbps

Last edited by squadi (March 26 2023)

#180 March 27 2023

xterm

ahk40a wrote:
xterm wrote:

Same here, I submitted the application and in the process of paying. The first thing I asked was whether the connection is symmetrical.

It has been more than 1 week now since we applied and transferred the money. Still, no call from them to install even though they promised to expedite. The issue is that my family has no internet except over 4G. Let's hope they install it very soon.

Not yet, my friend did have his connection installed just today after ~3 weeks.

#181 March 27 2023

xterm

RandomMemory wrote:

You have to stop speedtesting on a Lebanese IP. Use a VPN and speedtest 2-3 times you'll see upload throttle. Show me an upload to Microsoft teams or an ftp server

You can also change the location that you're testing to, it'll give you a more accurate speed.

Normally I pick Marseille, France.

#182 March 29 2023

RandomMemory

gonna connect to the mikrotik directly, wanna see what's up with this upload speed, it's still throttling to 3mbps.

Last edited by RandomMemory (March 29 2023)

#183 March 30 2023

rk100

I am trying to get a subscription to WDSL, but unfortunately the service is not available in zouk mosbeh.
Did anyone face such issue and got them to install a repeater or something to reach his location ? is that possible ?
I contacted them and offered to pay 12 months in advance and still didn't get a response yet.
Is there any other ISP that can provide a connection stable and fast similar to the WDSL provided by terranet ? I am actualy afraid to pay a huge amount as installation fee and get surprised by a crap connection.

Last edited by rk100 (March 30 2023)

#184 March 31 2023

new_user

rk100 wrote:

I am trying to get a subscription to WDSL, but unfortunately the service is not available in zouk mosbeh.
Did anyone face such issue and got them to install a repeater or something to reach his location ? is that possible ?
I contacted them and offered to pay 12 months in advance and still didn't get a response yet.
Is there any other ISP that can provide a connection stable and fast similar to the WDSL provided by terranet ? I am actualy afraid to pay a huge amount as installation fee and get surprised by a crap connection.

If you have a good 4G reception you can check IDM GO 4G or residential broadband from touch or alfa. They are cheaper than phone 4G packages but are still not that cheap and capped. I believe the service only works with their own 4G machine, you can not take the sim and plug it into your own device.

#185 March 31 2023

rk100

new_user wrote:
rk100 wrote:

If you have a good 4G reception you can check IDM GO 4G or residential broadband from touch or alfa. They are cheaper than phone 4G packages but are still not that cheap and capped. I believe the service only works with their own 4G machine, you can not take the sim and plug it into your own device.

4G latency is too high for my usage, I am more concerned about latency then bandwidth. Low latency currently is only reachable through wireless connection which no one is willing to provide here other then those crappy local resellers that I don't actualy consider a functional internet connection.

Last edited by rk100 (March 31 2023)

#186 April 5 2023

xterm

Update, my installation happened on Tuesday.
Took Cable1 a while to get the right angle because of where I live (in a valley).
Luckily there was line of sight but one of the stations was already saturated.
They ended up installing a "new node" on the same day, which made it better.
the quality was averaging both 49db for RX/TX

I was quite annoyed at the start because the latency was fluctuating in the vicinity of 42ms (42ms => 90ms)
Up until they installed the new "node" (?) where things settled down.

I can reach Terranet servers with an average latency of 2 to 3ms with outliers of 1ms and 11ms (occasional packet drop).
I can reach google dns server on an average of 43ms (with the corresponding outlier packets)

My subscription is 25mbps, but I haven't seen it drop to 25mbps yet, I'm assuming they keep this for new customers on purpose.
The connection is averaging 30 to 32mbps (Symmetrical, I haven't seen the upstream shaped like RandomMemory) with a peak of 40mbps.

Post-12 (midnight) nothing changes, the connection stays the same I haven't seen "Double" anything.

P.S. I used my existing router, did not ask them to install a new one - it was however a mistake on my part because the moment I told them I had a router they used an excuse not to give me a new one "There isn't a new router in your order". If you do already have a router, wait until the last second before you ask them to use it, making sure they give you the new router you paid for anyways.

Also, I obviously did not allow them to touch anything at home since I already did the wiring myself. All their work was on the roof.

Any additional questions, feel free to ask.

P.S. All the speed tests were done to either my company servers or microsoft teams or otherwise. Any test done to Ookla was to a server that is not terranet or in lebanon.

#187 April 5 2023

nosense

xterm wrote:

P.S. I used my existing router, did not ask them to install a new one - it was however a mistake on my part because the moment I told them I had a router they used an excuse not to give me a new one "There isn't a new router in your order". If you do already have a router, wait until the last second before you ask them to use it, making sure they give you the new router you paid for anyways.

They don't give you a router anyway unless you explicitly tell them you want to buy one, it is not included in the order.

#188 April 5 2023

nosense

nosense wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:

I routed the internet through personal VPS. Upload issue is "fixed". It's not symmetrical but 10+mbps.

I see the same results on my network, with vpn connected everything is fine and I get 25Mbps up and down, but without a vpn the download speed is very inconsistent and the upload is abysmal

Strangely enough I solved it by reinstalling my Ethernet driver on my laptop, I figured it was a problem on my end after I noticed the upload was fine on WIFI.

#189 April 6 2023

squadi

xterm wrote:

My subscription is 25mbps, but I haven't seen it drop to 25mbps yet, I'm assuming they keep this for new customers on purpose.
The connection is averaging 30 to 32mbps (Symmetrical, I haven't seen the upstream shaped like RandomMemory) with a peak of 40mbps.

Yea that has also happened to me, but as of a few days ago I am now getting 12mbps.Was nice while it lasted.

Although I am having issues with occasional connection drops like once or twice a day.

#190 April 7 2023

Eng.Rabih

Hi all. Im on my first month with WDSL. Subscribed to 14mbps and same thing where I was getting up to 45mbps but no more. Now when I do the speedtest im getting 12.5-13.2. Is this normal ? Is everyone still getting the double speed at night ? Because I checked last night at 3am and i got 12.5mbps.

#191 April 7 2023

nosense

Eng.Rabih wrote:

Hi all. Im on my first month with WDSL. Subscribed to 14mbps and same thing where I was getting up to 45mbps but no more. Now when I do the speedtest im getting 12.5-13.2. Is this normal ? Is everyone still getting the double speed at night ? Because I checked last night at 3am and i got 12.5mbps.

try to download something don't do a speedtest only, for some reason downloads are faster than the speedtest

#192 April 8 2023

fadijm

hello i am interested in getting a wireless internet connection. SME and terranet provide a similar wireless service but SME charges less for installation and subscription whilst TerraNet far more expensive. SME claim that they can provide upto 32 mbps symmetric but it is Shared Internet Access (SIA) you can also add static ip for 4 dollars extra. Is terranet also SIA or is it dedicated? and are the equipment like antenna the same? because if i want to move from sme to terranet i do not want to pay for another antenna again.

#193 April 11 2023

RandomMemory

I'm getting normal upload speeds again. I still don't know what the issue was. Nothing changed in network infrastructure.

#194 April 11 2023

RandomMemory

fadijm wrote:

hello i am interested in getting a wireless internet connection. SME and terranet provide a similar wireless service but SME charges less for installation and subscription whilst TerraNet far more expensive. SME claim that they can provide upto 32 mbps symmetric but it is Shared Internet Access (SIA) you can also add static ip for 4 dollars extra. Is terranet also SIA or is it dedicated? and are the equipment like antenna the same? because if i want to move from sme to terranet i do not want to pay for another antenna again.

I don't know who SME are. This is a stable service I've been using from terranet for 2 years. The subscription service has not degraded excluding the occasional hiccup which I understand. Terranet is SIA. It's microwave and they install Mikrotiks, which has it's own proprietary protocol so if someone else uses ubiquiti or some other brand your hardware might not work. In most cases it will but again, I don't know who SME are.

Last edited by RandomMemory (April 11 2023)

#195 April 14 2023

ahk40a

Anyone suffering from disconnection this evening?

#196 April 15 2023

fadijm

RandomMemory wrote:
fadijm wrote:

I don't know who SME are. This is a stable service I've been using from terranet for 2 years. The subscription service has not degraded excluding the occasional hiccup which I understand. Terranet is SIA. It's microwave and they install Mikrotiks, which has it's own proprietary protocol so if someone else uses ubiquiti or some other brand your hardware might not work. In most cases it will but again, I don't know who SME are.

You can search SME up they claim to also be symmetrical. For the price they are offering which is upto 32 mbps for both down and up is amazing including the face you can also get real ip. Unfortunately they could not give me the service because my area is not covered. Funny thing is that my neighbor gets internet from them. My issue with terranet is that they are expensive and apparently they are lowering the upload speeds intentionally.

#197 April 16 2023

RandomMemory

They are not lowering upload speeds anymore. Also apparently that was only happening for me, no one else was facing it. Also I don't trust anyone who advertises "Real IP". Are these guys getting bandwidth from ogero or just some a rebranded sub company of one of the other providers idk, until someone tries them and they can tell me they're using 1.5TB per month without getting throttled and they're getting the same up/down at any time of the day I have my doubts.

Last edited by RandomMemory (April 16 2023)

#198 April 16 2023

fadijm

RandomMemory wrote:

They are not lowering upload speeds anymore. Also apparently that was only happening for me, no one else was facing it. Also I don't trust anyone who advertises "Real IP". Are these guys getting bandwidth from ogero or just some a rebranded sub company of one of the other providers idk, until someone tries them and they can tell me they're using 1.5TB per month without getting throttled and they're getting the same up/down at any time of the day I have my doubts.

Thanks for your response. I will consider their services. But what was the reason to why your upload speed was lowered?

#199 April 16 2023

RandomMemory

I am not sure, it fixed itself a week later, but the other members here confirmed their upload speed was fine.
14620828060.png This is what it looks like right now.

Last edited by RandomMemory (April 16 2023)

#200 April 17 2023

fadijm

RandomMemory wrote:

I am not sure, it fixed itself a week later, but the other members here confirmed their upload speed was fine.
https://www.speedtest.net/result/14620828060.png This is what it looks like right now.

Oh ok thanks man. How is the gaming experience with this service? like what is your ping to CSGO servers and such? is there any packet loss too?

Board footer