LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 14 2019

infiniteloop

The mystery of 4K monitors in Lebanon

Mystery!
First the numbers of 4K monitors models in Lebanon are very limited like 3 or 4 and a ton of 1080p while it's the opposite anywhere outside Lebanon.
The price:
2 to 3 times the prices in the US
A Samsung 250$ 4K monitor in the US is 440$ here, another (Asus) 350$ model in the US is 800$ here
Why on earth we have so few 4K monitors and why are they so over-expensive?

#2 September 15 2019

VincentKeyboard

Re: The mystery of 4K monitors in Lebanon

Lebanese people seem to value screen estate and refresh rate over pixel density and it is perfectly fine because people have different workflows and many workflows (such as gaming) do not require high pixel density. Personally, I would never buy a 1080p monitor larger than 22 inches. Anything larger has to be 1440p.
I mostly only read and write on my computer so my requirements are pixel density. I would love an affordable 4k 24" monitor.

#3 September 15 2019

rolf

Generally it has been like this in Lebanon, in other words a few mass sold products are reasonably priced (Intel CPUs for example) and if you want something specific that is not widely available you have to pay a very high margin, if you find it at all.

I remember, in the past, this was a problem with AMD CPUs. I also remember once looking for a particular Fujifilm camera model - I found it at the official reseller selling at double the US price. However if you want batata Nikon or Canon you will find a few particular models sold for very cheap and everywhere.

Possibly because they import containers of these and try to sell them on the market.

So it does not look like a very strong buyer market in Lebanon - more a seller market, IMHO due to the small size of the market, the "wakil" culture and other red tape and restrictions.

When there is enough mass demand for something then it will be mass imported and the prices will be reasonable.

Early adopters and a demanding consumers will suffer, which is unfortunate because they make the economy move.

Last edited by rolf (September 15 2019)

#4 September 15 2019

infiniteloop

4K monitors are out for at least 5 years, it's not a new tech to say early adopters, In fact 8k monitors are starting now in the US,,1080p should have been stopped in Lebanon 2 years already and only 4k or 1440p monitors to sell instead but God knows why Lebanese importers want to build a villa in selling 3 4k monitors.
I am using a 27'' 1080p but I would replace it with a 4k monitor for my photography workflow...IF they sell it at a logic price and not 2 or 3x the price

#5 September 16 2019

rolf

If you don't like the term "early adopters" then let us just say "niche". 4k is not mainstream in Lebanon yet.

infiniteloop wrote:

I am using a 27'' 1080p but I would replace it with a 4k monitor for my photography workflow...IF they sell it at a logic price and not 2 or 3x the price

I also do photography but I care more about color gamut and accuracy than pixel density.

Anyway I really hope you will find what you want.

Last edited by rolf (September 16 2019)

#6 September 17 2019

infiniteloop

The Benq I have is excellent for colors , specially that it has a hardware low blue filter so no red tint and I can work for a longer time without eyes fatigue, but on 27'' 1080p is not so good, this size needs 4k

#7 September 20 2019

infiniteloop

rolf wrote:

If you don't like the term "early adopters" then let us just say "niche". 4k is not mainstream in Lebanon yet.

infiniteloop wrote:

I also do photography but I care more about color gamut and accuracy than pixel density.

Anyway I really hope you will find what you want.

I think I will take a Lenovo Thinkvision P27Q, IPS 1440p with USB C, display port...and the price is very interesting
10bit panels need a special graphic design gfx card, my RTX 2080 can't use Aobe and other photography softwares in 10bit
There are some 4K monitors 28'' under 500$ but they are TN panels, and TN are the worst in terms of colors accuracy and viewing angles

#8 September 20 2019

rolf

Nice monitor, good tip, thanks!
I believe that IPS is better than TN and that OLED is the best but would be too expensive.

BTW if you can get your hands on a monitor calibration device it would be good to calibrate it for maximum color accuracy.

Last edited by rolf (September 20 2019)

#9 September 24 2019

Tech Guru

rolf wrote:

Nice monitor, good tip, thanks!
I believe that IPS is better than TN and that OLED is the best but would be too expensive.

BTW if you can get your hands on a monitor calibration device it would be good to calibrate it for maximum color accuracy.

Micro Led is the future of tvs that are self emitting like OLED and without backlight. They have infinite contrast and real blacks like OLEDs but they do not have retention / burning nature from the Organic nature that OLED technology. My S10 Plus (less than 1 month old) has a slight brun in now in the lower screen part (  seen on max brightness).

Best ( for current Tech) is VA Panels

Deep Black Contrast for HDR ( min of 0.05 nits of blacks) with no blooming /  screen uniformity issues like IPS

Higher Color Gamut Coverage coverage

Higher Refresh Rates ~ 165hz + like TN ones.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 24 2019)

#10 October 18 2019

catdotgif

I would also be interested in buying a >1080p monitor for a reasonable price, if someone knows of a vendor.  Like even 1440 would be fine.

#11 October 19 2019

infiniteloop

Got the Aorus 27'' 1440p, it's a gaming monitor but it's also an excellent IPS 10bit dithering panel with high fidelity colors which make it a good choice for photography, it was ranked 3rd best monitor by rtings for photo/video editing

#12 October 19 2019

wollyka

infiniteloop wrote:

Got the Aorus 27'' 1440p, it's a gaming monitor but it's also an excellent IPS 10bit dithering panel with high fidelity colors which make it a good choice for photography, it was ranked 3rd best monitor by rtings for photo/video editing

From where did you get it?

#13 October 20 2019

infiniteloop

Mojitech

Board footer