LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 September 22 2019

DNA

Re: ssd health 99.0% remaining

VincentKeyboard wrote:

Definitely GPT and NTFS.
C:\ is bitlocked and D:\ isn't.

maybe you have an older drive with older sector size i know that windows will not create a mirrored drive (software raid 1) if you have sector size mismatch am not sure for pagefiling if u can test another drive and see the sector size of your current drive

#27 September 22 2019

VincentKeyboard

By sector size, do you mean the ntfs sector size?

#28 September 23 2019

DNA

I mean the physical sector size it may not be relevant to your problem but few options are available to to try in this case makes me wonder why it won't let you do it without error messages

#29 September 24 2019

Tech Guru

I stay away from TLC SSDs ,  MLCs ones are much better in the endurance / longevity of the SSD. TLCs store 3 bits / cell , in each read /write more voltage is required. More voltage will create more heat thus the insulating layer between cells starts degrading, allowing more electrons escape as the time passes.The thinner the layer the higher NAND degradation over time.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 24 2019)

#30 September 24 2019

VincentKeyboard

Tech Guru wrote:

I stay away from TLC SSDs ,  MLCs ones are much better in the endurance / longevity of the SSD. TLCs store 3 bits / cell , in each read right/write more voltage is required. More voltage will create more heat thus the insulating layer between cells starts degrading, allowing more electrons escape as the time passes.The thinner the layer the higher tNAND degradation over time.

Thanks for the input. Perhaps in the future. The current one shipped with the laptop and disassembling voids the warranty. I have about 120 days left according to Lenovo vantage.

#31 September 24 2019

DNA

Tech Guru wrote:

I stay away from TLC SSDs ,  MLCs ones are much better in the endurance / longevity of the SSD. TLCs store 3 bits / cell , in each read /write more voltage is required. More voltage will create more heat thus the insulating layer between cells starts degrading, allowing more electrons escape as the time passes.The thinner the layer the higher NAND degradation over time.

I have the 970 evo it is TLC drive it has like 10TB write on it and still have 99% life i got it a year ago.. i dont know where the problem is by the time it reaches 90% it would have become obsolete at this rate. unless you are using your SSD for something crazy it doesn't matter. dont make a fuss out of simple cheap things

#32 September 24 2019

Tech Guru

DNA wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

I have the 970 evo it is TLC drive it has like 10TB write on it and still have 99% life i got it a year ago.. i dont know where the problem is by the time it reaches 90% it would have become obsolete at this rate. unless you are using your SSD for something crazy it doesn't matter. dont make a fuss out of simple cheap things

Not a Fuzz or anything , regadless of the brand .. It is a hardware limitation.

SLC < MLC < TLC < QLC in edurance. The 970 Evo has a slight edge over the regular 3bit TLC SSDs,  it has TurboWrite. A TW is an 1Bit SLC write Buffer /  Cache which translates into improved write performance, as long as the buffer isn’t exhausted.

To know the difference have a quick overveiw about EVO vs PRO on endurance ,  main reason 3 bit TLC vs 2 Bit MLC. For 200 USD price difference I will go PRO all the way.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 24 2019)

#33 September 24 2019

VincentKeyboard

I decided to just jot this down as "first experience with new technology" and not worry about it further.
Besides, the laptop itself was a gift so I really should not complain about durability for something I received for free.

#34 September 26 2019

kareem_nasser

VincentKeyboard wrote:

I decided to just jot this down as "first experience with new technology" and not worry about it further.
Besides, the laptop itself was a gift so I really should not complain about durability for something I received for free.

Great! My point in my post actually. So you didnt buy an SSD?

Last edited by kareem_nasser (September 26 2019)

#35 September 26 2019

VincentKeyboard

It is a OEM samsung ssd model that shipped with the laptop. That's why samsung magician did not support it as it only supports consumer samsung ssds.

#36 September 27 2019

kareem_nasser

VincentKeyboard wrote:

It is a OEM samsung ssd model that shipped with the laptop. That's why samsung magician did not support it as it only supports consumer samsung ssds.

As a lebgeeker i suppose you checked for alternate solutions. The software will help assign overprovisioning for your SSD, this will greatly increase its endurance.

#37 September 27 2019

VincentKeyboard

I've been using hwinfo. With other tweaks, I've brought down disk writes from 60GB to about 10GB a day.
The eventual plan is to move to centos8 (currently waiting for a few upstream fixes and rpm fusion updates) and mount /var and /home on the hdd along with the swap partition. This will bring down the daily TW to under literally nothing unless I am installing or updating software.
I also now have a trend function in Excel where I note down the TW value against seconds since the laptop was first booted months ago. As more data is added, I should eventually get a reliable expectation as to when I will reach 25% lifetime.
I believe the expected lifetime of the disk is 300TB.

Last edited by VincentKeyboard (September 27 2019)

#38 January 18 2020

VincentKeyboard

It reached 98% life remaining at total 6830GB written. I'm not sure how accurate those readings are though because it reached 99% at 3375 which is not half of 6830.

#39 January 18 2020

Kareem

VincentKeyboard wrote:

It reached 98% life remaining at total 6830GB written. I'm not sure how accurate those readings are though because it reached 99% at 3375 which is not half of 6830.

I think you're worrying too much about it... SSD wear level and stuff like that are rarely accurate... My iMac SSD has been showing fail status and wear level lower than 51%. It's been the case since 4 years maybe. I couldn't care less. Everything is backed up and my read/write speed is till around 800MB/s which is more than what I really need.

Note that my Pc is almost always online and my iMac is a 2014.

41863469968aade78566297b1e0b3566.png

#40 January 19 2020

infiniteloop

My 5 year old SSD is at 85% but still considered as ''good'' by the report

#41 January 19 2020

Kareem

infiniteloop wrote:

My 5 year old SSD is at 85% but still considered as ''good'' by the report

Depends on how much and how you use it. I usually abuse my hardware. My SSD has been 24/7 on for almost 6 years.

I have a 320GB  disk that I use as /tmp it's been literally online for more than 8 years

63835f7348a57a51cb70617b94faa31b.png

#42 January 19 2020

VincentKeyboard

I've been considering physical /tmp myself. Systemd default is ramfs but it autocleans based on recent access.

Board footer