LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 28 2019

TheIlluminative

How to limit my internet speed?

Hello guys,

So I got this AlfaNet which is giving me around 40mbps, but I consume the 50GB quite fast. I read that I can limit my internet speed let's say 10mbps and I won't consume the same bandwidth. How can I do that? do I need to get a router? and do the configuration from there?

I have a tp-link router. But no idea how to limit my internet speed.

Thanks a lot.

#2 August 28 2019

VincentKeyboard

Re: How to limit my internet speed?

Look for a bandwidth control section in your router administration page. If you can't find it, look at official documentation for your model at tp-link website.

#3 August 28 2019

TigerFox

Limiting to 10mbps will not help. It is alot and enough for auto HD on all media platforms. You have to disable auto HD features on your apps, watch on lower resolutions , and keep track of your data usage.

#4 August 28 2019

VincentKeyboard

Depending on your daily usage habits, I would throttle it down to something between 2 and 4Mbits.

#5 August 28 2019

MrClass

That's not going to help. Whatever is consuming 50GB in (let's say) 10 days, will still consume 50GB in 20 days. Make a caching server, or block all traffic from going through and just let through the apps you want to have connected to internet.

Windows updates, game updates; ADs in web browsing, will all consume quota. Watch videos in 720P instead of 1080P. Tell your web browser to stop autoplaying videos when loading sites.

Enjoy your 40Mbps man; the point is to move forward not backwards.

Similar to the idea of upgrading your computer every 5 years cause it gets slower; your Internet needs an upgrade so you catch up with the rest of the world.

#6 August 28 2019

nuclearcat

AFAIK Most of content not cacheable this days. HTTPS, no MITM. And worse - often certificate pinning.
If you want to reduce expenses - throttle everything to low speed, and just unlock non-heavy resources (games, realtime comms, etc). It will need lot of tinkering.

#7 August 29 2019

MrClass

Speaking of Ad blocking; this came out recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXTnrD_Zs4

Thanks Linus!

#8 September 6 2019

TheIlluminative

Thanks guys. It worked. I put it at 5 which is enough for me!

Last edited by TheIlluminative (September 6 2019)

#9 September 10 2019

nuclearcat

MrClass wrote:

That's not going to help. Whatever is consuming 50GB in (let's say) 10 days, will still consume 50GB in 20 days. Make a caching server, or block all traffic from going through and just let through the apps you want to have connected to internet.

Windows updates, game updates; ADs in web browsing, will all consume quota. Watch videos in 720P instead of 1080P. Tell your web browser to stop autoplaying videos when loading sites.

Enjoy your 40Mbps man; the point is to move forward not backwards.

Similar to the idea of upgrading your computer every 5 years cause it gets slower; your Internet needs an upgrade so you catch up with the rest of the world.

Not exactly like that.
For example, if you limit many video streaming apps speeds - they will switch to lower quality. So watching same movie will take less traffic, but sure quality will be worse.

Board footer