LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 15 2019

VincentKeyboard

SSD for laptop

Do SSDs exist in the same size/form factor as regular laptop hard disks?
My laptop has a nvme 256G samsung and 1TB HDD. I am contemplating replacing the HDD with a SSD.
If so, any recommendations for models/stores as reasonable prices?
Thanks.

#2 August 15 2019

ballad

Re: SSD for laptop

you need a  2.5 to 3.5 adapter

#3 August 15 2019

duke-of-bytes

ballad wrote:

you need a  2.5 to 3.5 adapter

He said a laptop 1 TB hdd ..sona regular 2.5 inch SSD works perfectly..no need for anything else

#4 August 15 2019

rolf

Yeah I think that all SATA SSD drives are "laptop sized".

256TB NVME is enough for the OS and software, IMHO. Your setup sounds nice, so another option you could consider is upgrading the 1TB HD to a 4TB spinning drive for example.

Last edited by rolf (August 15 2019)

#5 August 15 2019

kareem_nasser

Recently upgraded my consoles and laptop to 2.5" SATA3 SSD and bought a new laptop with NVME PCIE. If you want to buy for the laptop I recommend going with the Samsung 860 EVO for the 2.5" SATA and if you want one which is a bit cheaper, consider the Crucial MX500.

Do take into consideration here that in Lebanon the prices are still high compared to anywhere outside and the sellers usually tell you "limited quantities", basically saying the they have low supply to increase the prices as they see fit.

#6 August 15 2019

kareem_nasser

rolf wrote:

Yeah I think that all SATA SSD drives are "laptop sized".

256TB NVME is enough for the OS and software, IMHO. Your setup sounds nice, so another option you could consider is upgrading the 1TB HD to a 4TB spinning drive for example.

If he wants fast speeds but on a low budget for an SSD then Hybrid is an option.

#7 August 15 2019

VincentKeyboard

I like rolf's 4TB HDD idea. The 1TB I have now is half full already. Replacing it with a larger disk makes sense. And this should be a cheaper upgrade than a SSD.

#8 August 15 2019

duke-of-bytes

I found that using HDD for sequential storage/backup is fast and workable..for random data, ssd is a must..
So if you just save your videos/music/ etc and your hdd is not fragmented it should feel good

+ For the hybrid

Last edited by duke-of-bytes (August 15 2019)

#9 August 15 2019

kareem_nasser

duke-of-bytes wrote:

I found that using HDD for sequential storage/backup is fast and workable..for random data, ssd is a must..
So if you just save your videos/music/ etc and your hdd is not fragmented it should feel good

+ For the hybrid

I bet most of us here cant maintain an HDD for about a year without a massive hit on performance. Hybrids do exist for 2.5" maximum 2TB if i am not mistaken.

#10 August 16 2019

VincentKeyboard

Where can I find a hybrid disk? Any recommended stores?

#11 August 16 2019

anayman_k7

A cheap NVME SSD would be the Intel 660p 1TB option, 95$ on Amazon, it will cost around 120$ with ShopAndShip which is a great deal, it gives around 1.8GB/s sequential read and write speeds, very happy with it since about 3 months of usage till today

#12 August 17 2019

duke-of-bytes

i checked again ..the biggest SSHD (hybrid ) 2.5 inch disk is 2 TB .. there is no bigger .
you can get a 4TB disk with 7200 rpm and 128 cache ..it should be good enough

#13 August 18 2019

kareem_nasser

duke-of-bytes wrote:

i checked again ..the biggest SSHD (hybrid ) 2.5 inch disk is 2 TB .. there is no bigger .

Don't think there is an HDD 2.5" over 2Tb and 7200 rpm.

#14 August 18 2019

duke-of-bytes

kareem_nasser wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

After check up you are correct .. 128 MB cache and 5400 for anything above 1 TB .. but the thickness will change from 7 mm to 15 mm above the 2 TB

#15 August 18 2019

kareem_nasser

duke-of-bytes wrote:
kareem_nasser wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

After check up you are correct .. 128 MB cache and 5400 for anything above 1 TB .. but the thickness will change from 7 mm to 15 mm above the 2 TB

Yes exactly, which not a common form factor for laptop 2.5" SATA3. So best bet is either SSDs as discussed before or for a cheaper path and inbetween performance (varies though) then Hybrid SSHD.

Side note: do consider that there is a 2TB SSHD version with 128MB cache RAM cache (instead from the usual 32 or 64) aside from the 8GB NAND.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (August 18 2019)

#16 August 19 2019

Salloum

Get a modest SSD like 256 gigs and get an external HDD for your heavy files

Board footer