LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 4 2019

duke-of-bytes

Cloud storage for servers

hey awesome people
im looking for some cheap cloud storage like 3-4 TB to backup some of my servers off-site
what is the best you know ?

#2 August 4 2019

rolf

Re: Cloud storage for servers

backblaze

#3 August 4 2019

duke-of-bytes

Very expensive

Screenshot-20190804-202844-Chrome.jpg
Screenshot-20190804-202854-Chrome.jpg

#4 August 4 2019

VincentKeyboard

You want to upload 24TB a month? From Lebanon?

#5 August 4 2019

duke-of-bytes

VincentKeyboard wrote:

1-i have around 7 servers..each around 500 GB in backup size
2-i have to upload the backups every 3-4 days so in any given time I should have one set of backup on the cloud around 3-4 TB
3-i have around 20 mbps of upload speed (im abroad)

I will see if my isp can rent me space his data center for a small NAS or small pc with a raid card

#6 August 4 2019

VincentKeyboard

How about nextcloud on a dedicated server then?

#7 August 4 2019

rolf

duke-of-bytes wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:

1-i have around 7 servers..each around 500 GB in backup size
2-i have to upload the backups every 3-4 days so in any given time I should have one set of backup on the cloud around 3-4 TB
3-i have around 20 mbps of upload speed (im abroad)

I will see if my isp can rent me space his data center for a small NAS or small pc with a raid card

I think you made a mistake.

You have 7 servers of .5TB each, that is 3.5 TB of initial upload, possibly less if you compress them.

Then each subsequent backup should be incremental so you only upload what has changed. Any half decent backup software has this functionality.

As for downloading 1TB each month I'm not sure why you want to do that.

According to the number you entered, Backblaze calculated that your storage will be growing by 21TB each month (24 - 3).
So after one year you would be storing in excess of 250 TB in your account.

So it seems that it's not B2 that is very expensive but rather the numbers that you entered which are very wrong.

I think that if you use a B2 with one of the clients that provide incremental backup, you can do it for something like $500 / year. Of course it is a very rough estimate, I do not know any details about your data and how much it changes. It could be less or more.

Backblaze have two products, one is cloud storage which is called B2. I use it, and last time I checked it is the cheapest cloud storage option for raw storage (you have to manage it yourself through a third party client).

The second product is a fully managed backup system including a client which you can download from them. I am not familiar with this option.

Last edited by rolf (August 5 2019)

#8 August 5 2019

VincentKeyboard

He said every 3 to 4 days. That makes the initial backup 3.5TB and another 3.5TB every 3 to 4 days. That is 24.4TB total uploads in the first month and around the same for each subsequent month.
That means the client will need to purge older backups when getting close to the quota.

Last edited by VincentKeyboard (August 5 2019)

#9 August 5 2019

duke-of-bytes

I can do incremental and i remade the calculation still too expensive..i can get a 6 tb dedicated server for less than 120$ per month

The 1 TB is only 10$ so wont really matter
The isp agreee to give me a 2 u.in his racks for free

#10 August 5 2019

Elied

Backblaze is the cheapest reliable option on the market right now for cloud backups in terms of storage costs. If you don't want to pay that much you'll need to look into more specialized services. I can't really recommend any of them before knowing more details on the servers and their contents. Some major things are: Is it a windows or linux server? Is it wordpress website? Will you be needing to download these backups frequently outside of the regular integrity checks? Do you have any databases that need to be backed up? Any VMs? Do you want a full system clone or only file backups?
This doesn't cover everything but can point you in the right direction on where to look. The more restrictive and specific your backup plan is the more you're likely to save.

Last edited by Elied (August 5 2019)

#11 August 5 2019

duke-of-bytes

Elied wrote:

Backblaze is the cheapest reliable option on the market right now for cloud backups in terms of storage costs. If you don't want to pay that much you'll need to look into more specialized services. I can't really recommend any of them before knowing more details on the servers and their contents. Some major things are: Is it a windows or linux server? Is it wordpress website? Will you be needing to download these backups frequently outside of the regular integrity checks? Do you have any databases that need to be backed up? Any VMs? Do you want a full system clone or only file backups?
This doesn't cover everything but can point you in the right direction on where to look. The more restrictive and specific your backup plan is the more you're likely to save.

full system backup ( can be incremental as well )
cold storage , only downloaded for integrity check or in case of disaster recovery
all windows servers ranging from 2008 to 2016 containing VMs,SQL , exchange , AD , file servers , erp ( خبصة )
i have local storage and weekly backup on external disk ..
i sent a small nas to my isp to try and see if it is feasible .. being on my own vlan i am only restricted by my antenna speed - 20 to 45 Mbps
let's see if this works well ..

#12 August 5 2019

samer
Admin

Check out the Hetzner auctions, you can snap up dedicated servers at decent prices: https://www.hetzner.com/sb?country=us
For example:

Intel Core i7-920
12 GB RAM
2x2 TB
Unlimited traffic

EUR 26.89 per month

#13 August 5 2019

rolf

duke-of-bytes wrote:

i sent a small nas to my isp to try and see if it is feasible .. being on my own vlan i am only restricted by my antenna speed - 20 to 45 Mbps
let's see if this works well ..

Synology NAS have aB2 application, so you can easily sync between a Synology NAS and B2.
I don't think this is what you are looking for, because it would mean making a backup from a backup (since the NAS is already a backup) but anyway just saying - just in case. I though this integration was neat.
Good that you can put your own NAS at your ISP's. All good.

#14 August 5 2019

duke-of-bytes

samer wrote:

Check out the Hetzner auctions, you can snap up dedicated servers at decent prices: https://www.hetzner.com/sb?country=us
For example:

Intel Core i7-920
12 GB RAM
2x2 TB
Unlimited traffic

EUR 26.89 per month

this looks good .. i will look into it

#15 August 6 2019

Hybrid

Get 2 Kimsufi servers, (kimsufi.com), that would be the cheapest available option if you're planning to upload and delete a lot. Only problem is, you have to check several times a day for a server to be available.

#16 August 7 2019

samer
Admin

Hybrid wrote:

Get 2 Kimsufi servers, (kimsufi.com), that would be the cheapest available option if you're planning to upload and delete a lot. Only problem is, you have to check several times a day for a server to be available.

Kimsufi is also limited to 100 mbps if I recall correctly.

#17 August 9 2019

duke-of-bytes

Do you know any file copying/syncing app that will let me control bandwidth and schedule
I tried ultracopier but it is not very stable

For pc

#18 August 10 2019

samer
Admin

duke-of-bytes wrote:

Do you know any file copying/syncing app that will let me control bandwidth and schedule
I tried ultracopier but it is not very stable

For pc

Try rsync, you can get it via cygwin if you're using Windows. Setup instructions are here.
You can limit bandwidth usage using the "--bwlimit" option.

#19 August 11 2019

nuclearcat

Syncthing?
(It have bandwidth limits, maybe possible to do some automating by scripts)

Last edited by nuclearcat (August 11 2019)

#20 August 11 2019

duke-of-bytes

nuclearcat wrote:

Syncthing?
(It have bandwidth limits, maybe possible to do some automating by scripts)

I dont know this one..will check it out

#21 August 12 2019

MrClass

I'm actually using Dropbox Business to backup and sync server repo data across several offices in the MENAT region.
Many would say that this is against their local company compliancy policies, but in this region, dropbox works well with no headaches. For my use case, the data is just update files
Also dropbox business allows for unlimited capacities (and yes unlimited, like they were ok with me putting 500TB) when you get 3 user accounts (around 700$ per year), which is really peanuts.

It just works :)

#22 August 12 2019

duke-of-bytes

MrClass wrote:

I'm actually using Dropbox Business to backup and sync server repo data across several offices in the MENAT region.
Many would say that this is against their local company compliancy policies, but in this region, dropbox works well with no headaches. For my use case, the data is just update files
Also dropbox business allows for unlimited capacities (and yes unlimited, like they were ok with me putting 500TB) when you get 3 user accounts (around 700$ per year), which is really peanuts.

It just works :)

Yes i was thinking about this as well

Dropbox business advance

$20
/ user / month, starting at 3 users
As much space as your team needs

Board footer