LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 29 2019

Kareem

Applying for B1/B2 US VISA

So I'm planning to go to the US for a short trip ( friends waiting for me in CA ), however, I've been advised by someone to not apply since I'm unemployed.

I'm freelancing, in fact making more money than my previous job however, I do not "officially" own a company / business so freelancing is still considered unemployment.

I do however have a 4 years schengen VISA with more than 40 entries to Europe in the last 2 years ( Still valid )

What are my chances of getting the B1/B2 VISA ? am I wasting my time ?

#2 July 29 2019

samer
Admin

Re: Applying for B1/B2 US VISA

You should probably ask a freelancer who applied for it. The way I see it, if you can show that you can sustain yourself and have good reasons to come back to Lebanon you should be OK. As far as I know, the embassy does not outright deny you, they usually ask for additional proof. That being said, maybe the best thing to do is to call them and ask about your specific situation.

#3 July 29 2019

Tech Guru

Kareem wrote:

So I'm planning to go to the US for a short trip ( friends waiting for me in CA ), however, I've been advised by someone to not apply since I'm unemployed.

I'm freelancing, in fact making more money than my previous job however, I do not "officially" own a company / business so freelancing is still considered unemployment.

I do however have a 4 years schengen VISA with more than 40 entries to Europe in the last 2 years ( Still valid )

Employment Certificate
Salary Certificate

Shows that you have commitments here that you will be back and not stay in the USA. Freelancing is kind of embiguous to some Embassies (like USA), and doesnot provide a secure proof / attestation like being related to private employer /public government. 

My advice to you to show them

An Invitation from them (your friends)
Bank Account (For the Passed 6 months transactions)

Last edited by Tech Guru (July 30 2019)

#4 July 29 2019

TigerFox

Um , so a question aside. How does one travel to US permanently nowadays ?

#5 July 29 2019

Kareem

Tech Guru wrote:
Kareem wrote:

Employment Certificate
Salary Certificate

Shows that you have commitments here that you will be back and not stay in the USA. Freelancing is kind of embiguous to some Embassies (like USA)and doesnot provide a secure proof / attestation like being related to private employer /public government.  My advice to to show them

An Invitation from them

I appreciate your attempt to help but what on earth did you just write ? I can't understand either due to typos or incomplete sentences or ... !!!?!?!?!?    You advise iis to show them an invitation from them ?

I also made it clear; I know that an employment letter is needed however I DON'T HAVE ONE.

Last edited by Kareem (July 29 2019)

#6 July 30 2019

rolf

Aren't you registered as a freelancer?

There has to be some kind of consideration for freelancers. In many countries you can freelance without necessarily owning a company, such as in the UK where you can register as "sole trader" (however in practice freelancers would usually create a limited company for protection).

You are not unemployed. Maybe you can produce contracts, references from clients, I don't know.

Also if you have a Shengen visa, maybe you can apply from a US embassy in Europe, if it is practical at all. They are likely to be less strict over there since they don't have to deal with a million Syrian refugees trying to get in.

Let us know what happens.

Regarding your second question, my opinion is: if you are trying to do something that is close to your heart and that you want to do, then you are not wasting your time, whether you succeed or you fail.

Last edited by rolf (July 30 2019)

#7 July 30 2019

Tech Guru

Kareem wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
Kareem wrote:

Employment Certificate
Salary Certificate

Shows that you have commitments here that you will be back and not stay in the USA. Freelancing is kind of embiguous to some Embassies (like USA)and doesnot provide a secure proof / attestation like being related to private employer /public government.  My advice to to show them

An Invitation from them

I appreciate your attempt to help but what on earth did you just write ? I can't understand either due to typos or incomplete sentences or ... !!!?!?!?!?    You advise iis to show them an invitation from them ?

I also made it clear; I know that an employment letter is needed however I DON'T HAVE ONE.

I was half sleepy when I wrote it yesterday midnight , sorry for inconvenience if I jeopardize your english understanding /  competences.

Basically I worked for Ministry of Foreign Affairs here for Five years. From my experience within relationships with Embassies , USA embassy is very tough to circumvent. I advice you to make employment certificate from a trustful employer , you know from your comnections,  and an internal reference there. -  A Hint that many used for temporary visit trips and obtained a visit visa.

#8 July 30 2019

potato

Nah i dont advise any of the above. I would buy a ticket for a show or nba game up there and tell them im interested in watching this game live. But your other issue is why do you want to come back to lebanon do you have a family maybe ? How about showing them you are a caretaker for your parents and you have to come back.

Last edited by potato (July 30 2019)

Board footer