LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 29 2019

VincentKeyboard

NPP UPS batteries

My two 7Ah/12V (which I used to replace the 9Ah that shipped with my UPS) finally died after 21 months of usage.
They would have lasted even longer but there was an accident where the temperature was left too high in a badly ventilated room for days with no one in the apartment. The connected computer was powered off for the whole week so it didn't suffer any damage.
Does anyone know where I can find this same brand of batteries?
PC&Parts has generic batteries for 11 dollars which is cheap enough but I want to invest in something better. I went to a few shops and they said they have generic brands for 15 dollars a piece.
The person who installed the NPP batteries said he no longer has NPP but has a generic brand for 18 dollars per battery or 35 dollars for two. He did admit that they are no where as good as the NPP though.

Can anyone recommend a store that has NPP and is willing to install the batteries for me?

#2 June 30 2019

xterm

Re: NPP UPS batteries

7Ah/12V Generic brand is 10$ a piece, I just bought two yesterday. ( I can't vouch for their quality )

#3 June 30 2019

VincentKeyboard

Where did you get them from?

#4 June 30 2019

nuclearcat

Your battery is likely to work in conditions far from ideal. Why to overpay for it?

#5 July 2 2019

VincentKeyboard

I took the UPS to an electrician. He installed two new batteries at 20,000LL each.
The "trans" was overheating. I asked why. The old batteries were cold. He said the batteries were near dead and the UPS was instead thinking they needed to be charged so it was constantly sending a charge and hence it was overheating.
Does that make sense or should I have someone else take a look at the UPS?
The new batteries seem to be working so far.

Last edited by VincentKeyboard (July 2 2019)

#6 July 2 2019

nuclearcat

Depends on UPS (if it have protection circuit), but very possible (one of cells got shorted due age or battery not able to reach full charge voltage by other reasons). And such UPS a bit dangerous, as bad gel batteries without emergency vents might start gassing and spilling acid everywhere.

Board footer