LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 23 2019

TigerFox

Why is speed test speed different than routers mentioned speed ?

My router says:

Max downstream: 25,000 ( not exactly but is alittle over 25,000)
Current downstream: 20,000

But on speedtest I only get a max of 16mbps. Also when I download steam games for example , max speed I got was 2MB/s ~ 16mbps , where are the other 4mbps :$ ? I live like 400 meters away from the Ogero central

#2 June 23 2019

DNA

Re: Why is speed test speed different than routers mentioned speed ?

Tcp/ip, ATM and error correction overhead

Last edited by DNA (June 23 2019)

#3 June 23 2019

AliJ7

On the router my max downstream is 85000.
My current downstream is 73000.
What I really get: 41-42 mbps. In your case the numbers are really close so I wouldn't bother. But idk what's really the answer in my case. I'm either capped or these numbers have more meanings than appeared.

#4 June 23 2019

AliJ7

DSL Modulation Type: 
VDSL2
Annex Type: 
Annex A
Upstream    Downstream
Current Rate (kbps)    18831    73821
Max Rate (kbps)    43965    82147
SNR Margin (dB)    27.3    10.7
Line Attenuation (dB)    20.6    12.3
Errors (pkts)    0    0

#5 June 23 2019

TigerFox

DNA wrote:

Tcp/ip, ATM and error correction overhead

I mean , I literally applied to Ogero's open speed plan because I thought I could get a minimum of 2mbs connection. My cousin lives like 700 meters away from the central and his speed is same as mine.

I called the worker and he came and checked on my speed with some type of device and showed me it was reading 22mbps current downstream , I told him yes I don't care I am only getting 2MB/s which is 16mpbs , and he totally doesn't understand much and started talking nonsense somehow. Are those fake numbers the router is showing ?

AliJ7 wrote:

What I really get: 41-42 mbps. In your case the numbers are really close so I wouldn't bother. But idk what's really the answer in my case. I'm either capped or these numbers have more meanings than appeared.

Wow thats a steal. My numbers are close but that doesn't mean anything. If my "current downstream" is 20mbps , downloading a chrome file should be at ~2.5mbs , not 1.8mbs .. Still , your case is much worse :$ Did you contact Ogero ? I feel like their staff is not so much experienced , as they dont even know the difference between mbps and mbs

#6 June 23 2019

DNA

@TigerFox that's the nature of adsl you have high overheads mainly ATM and pppoe so when the router says current download is 20Mbps it is true 20Mbps link to ISP so that is normal and it is impossible to get more at any given sync speed and plz tell us what is the difference between mbps and mbs :)
@AliJ7 check for errors in transmission if everything is normal then it is traffic shaping of some sort it may be because of limited backbone capacity on a given active cabinet

Last edited by DNA (June 23 2019)

#7 June 23 2019

TigerFox

DNA wrote:

@TigerFox that's the nature of adsl you have high overheads mainly ATM and pppoe so when the router says current download is 20Mbps it is true 20Mbps link to ISP so that is normal and it is impossible to get more at any given sync speed and plz tell us what is the difference between mbps and mbs :)
@AliJ7 check for errors in transmission if everything is normal then it is traffic shaping of some sort it may be because of limited backbone capacity on a given active cabinet

I am not sure if you are joking , but well , .. Mbps = Megabits per second , Mbs = Megabytes per second , 8Mbps = 1 MBs ..

Yes it says current is 20mbps but it never reached that speed on mobile or laptop. At most it is 16mbps , thats 4mbps short from what the router indicates

#8 June 23 2019

AliJ7

Nah I didn't contact them yet its been only just a week since they installed my DSL. But I don't think I really care about it much because I know they will drain my power to understand or act about it.
But if u care that much about i, I'm sure VDSL is feasable if you're within 800 meters from exchange. But again it's a headache..

#9 June 23 2019

TigerFox

AliJ7 wrote:

Nah I didn't contact them yet its been only just a week since they installed my DSL. But I don't think I really care about it much because I know they will drain my power to understand or act about it.
But if u care that much about i, I'm sure VDSL is feasable if you're within 800 meters from exchange. But again it's a headache..

Nah , I would like more download and upload speed but working with Ogero is really hard.. It took them almost 3 months to install everyrhing for me , and that is after constantly calling them every 2 days. They would act surprised as if it is my first time calling them.. Just really bad

#10 June 23 2019

wollyka

AliJ7 wrote:

Ogero is currently capping the speeds at 50 Mbps. You won't get more until new plans and pricing are released and approved by the government. So basically you are getting 42 out of 50.

#11 June 23 2019

xazbrat

TigerFox wrote:
DNA wrote:

I am not sure if you are joking , but well , .. Mbps = Megabits per second , Mbs = Megabytes per second , 8Mbps = 1 MBs ..

Yes it says current is 20mbps but it never reached that speed on mobile or laptop. At most it is 16mbps , thats 4mbps short from what the router indicates

Overhead is about 15% of the rate you sync at--so for a 20mbps connection, you should expect somewhere in the 17mbps speed . Other factors could make it worse, and being in Lebanon, you should expect it.  I wouldn't complain about 16 mpbs speed---I am still stuck in the stone ages with TWO (which speedtest says I have an actual speed of 1.7ish mbps)

(if I am wrong about nomenclature, at least give me the benefit of being wrong all the way though : P )

#12 June 23 2019

DNA

TigerFox wrote:

Man you aren't understanding the fact that your connection is 100% fine , I know that ogero staff are mostly underskilled but you are too ADSL has lots of overhead that means when you sent a packet of data part of that packet is filled with data which is needed for the connection to operate and for the dslam to assemble back the ATM packets (which are a lot ) and for the BRAS to establish your PPPoe connection and for TCP IP data and checksums so the 4Mbps aren't disappearing they are being utilized to give you your 16Mbps of usable bandwidth hope u get the idea
and btw 1 Megabyte per second isn't mbs it is MBps vs Mbps for 1Megabit per second mocking ogero for that was kinda funny when you don't know the correct terminology yourself in the first place.

#13 June 23 2019

DNA

wollyka wrote:
AliJ7 wrote:

Ogero is currently capping the speeds at 50 Mbps. You won't get more until new plans and pricing are released and approved by the government. So basically you are getting 42 out of 50.

Oh thanks for mentioning that.

#14 June 23 2019

rolf

It can be many things.
Try connecting through ethernet.

#15 June 24 2019

TigerFox

DNA wrote:
TigerFox wrote:

Man you aren't understanding the fact that your connection is 100% fine , I know that ogero staff are mostly underskilled but you are too ADSL has lots of overhead that means when you sent a packet of data part of that packet is filled with data which is needed for the connection to operate and for the dslam to assemble back the ATM packets (which are a lot ) and for the BRAS to establish your PPPoe connection and for TCP IP data and checksums so the 4Mbps aren't disappearing they are being utilized to give you your 16Mbps of usable bandwidth hope u get the idea
and btw 1 Megabyte per second isn't mbs it is MBps vs Mbps for 1Megabit per second mocking ogero for that was kinda funny when you don't know the correct terminology yourself in the first place.

I know my line is fine , I just want to know why was the speed like that. I probably was way too agressive in the way I was asking , but I learnt a new thing today , thank you.

For the megabit thing , I mixed it up , I have seen MBs Mbs and MBps Mpbs .. Wasn't really focusing on the spelling , I just meant the context of bit vs byte. Saying "Mega" is a broad term and most people think it is actually 20MB/s when it is not. Literally. But yea , when I talked to them they seemed confused not knowing the difference between Megabit and Megabyte , they just call it Mega. It ain't a big deal , I have a good connection but I was just curious. Thank you

Also thank you @xazbrat

Last edited by TigerFox (June 24 2019)

#16 June 25 2019

Mayyad

My vdsl current rate is 102000 and when testing with speed test i get around 70 Mbps.
Downloading actual data varies from 2 MBps to 12 MBps when downloading from cached servers.

#17 June 25 2019

AliJ7

@mayyad, wow. How close are you to the centrale/exchange ? And did you talk to OGERO to uncap your speed ? Because I talked to them and they said they are capping VDSL speeds at 50mbps for stability reasons.
If you can post your line stats it would be great.
I'm litteraly 50 Meters away from centrale and my current rate is around 75000.

#18 June 25 2019

anayman_k7

I dont think the ISP gives you internet speed as much as your line can handle 100%

#19 June 25 2019

xazbrat

Mayyad wrote:

My vdsl current rate is 102000 and when testing with speed test i get around 70 Mbps.
Downloading actual data varies from 2 MBps to 12 MBps when downloading from cached servers.

Keep in mind there will be other bottlenecks along the way.  I have a family member in Dubai getting 500 mbps speed and with that he should theoretically  be able to download a 10 gig file in about 12 minutes, but it takes him closer to a half hour because not everyone is able to handle that type of speed.   A nice problem to have I guess, but not one we will have in the near future.

#20 June 26 2019

TigerFox

AliJ7 wrote:

Because I talked to them and they said they are capping VDSL speeds at 50mbps for stability reasons.

Anyone knows why capping the speed helps with line stability ?

Mayyad wrote:

Yea same here , except that my speed goes from 2.1MB/s down to like 400KB/s depending on download server

#21 June 26 2019

AliJ7

They also said its due to the current quotas that can be easily exceeded. But uncapping is optional.

#22 June 26 2019

Mayyad

AliJ7 wrote:

@mayyad, wow. How close are you to the centrale/exchange ? And did you talk to OGERO to uncap your speed ? Because I talked to them and they said they are capping VDSL speeds at 50mbps for stability reasons.
If you can post your line stats it would be great.
I'm litteraly 50 Meters away from centrale and my current rate is around 75000.

My house is about 200 meters away from the cabinet, i didnt ask ogero to do anything. I am using vr900.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-40VzI … =drivesdk/ 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2RdeI … =drivesdk/ 

Last edited by Mayyad (June 26 2019)

#23 June 26 2019

AliJ7

I dont know for sure but I think that's alot of packet errors you have there. It's always 0 in my case. Is 5000 packet errors a normal thing?

#24 June 27 2019

TigerFox

AliJ7 wrote:

They also said its due to the current quotas that can be easily exceeded. But uncapping is optional.

Did you ask to uncap it ? You live closer than Mayyad does as mentioned , it would be interesting to see how much would the speed uncap to

#25 June 27 2019

AliJ7

I'm currently trying to solve a payment problem with them but when its done I'm gonna ask to uncap the speed. I don't know for sure but I guess its gonna be around 70 mbps according to my line stats. Yeah although I'm closer to the exchange than him his line stats seem better in terms of speeds for some reason. We will see.

Board footer